VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:07 PM
MEATWART MEATWART is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Default

If this album were never released, I wonder if Zethe would be complaining and whining about how not releasing a soundtrack was an unbelievable letdown to him. Seriously, this was one of the coolest things that SEGA/Nakamura could have done, and he rants about the artwork letting him down (to something, mind you, he didn't buy) ?

I also don't think Nakamura did this solely for the money. SEGA asked him if he could put something together for the 20th anniversary of Sonic, and he decided to do this. Considering his band sold 55+ million records in Japan over the past 2 decades, I highly doubt this niche release of his will make him much money (I'm guessing anywhere from 5-10K copies of this will be sold.) So while it was Nakamura that put the CD out, it was SEGA that requested it in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:07 PM
Gigablah's Avatar
Gigablah Gigablah is offline
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,398
Default

Considering that Sonic is an instantly recognizable "pop icon" so to speak, they could've just slapped a silhouette of him onto a grey background and it'd still work.

Something like this: http://vgmdb.net/album/5411 (Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack platinum)

That said, there's no need to read too much into Zethe's posts; the soundtrack release was pretty hyped up (in this thread, at least), and I'm not surprised that some people were disappointed by the lack of polish or content of the booklet (not talking about the front cover design here).

The reason many people are upset about the criticism, I suppose, is that this is a case where the musical contents (and the sentiment attached to it) far, far outweighs the expectations towards the package design. Let's not make this into a "I bought it, you didn't" argument, that's not really pertinent.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

It's really not and I really can't understand why everyone targeted Zethe when MiLO agreed with him right after. I'm agreeing with him now, I won't be buying it, and not because the artwork is not up to par. Everyone wanna flame me now? I really don't understand all this stupid hate.

EDIT: Just wanted to add this, everyone has their own criteria for buying VGM/anime music. Some people, and I believe they were either in this thread or the Seiken Densetsu Collection Book Whatever thread, said that they were pre-ordering like 3 copies. I see that and I think "Hmm why would he need 3 copies? Oh yeah, to keep them and then sell them back for a ridiculous price to take advantage of VGM collectors." I think anyone who does that is a fuckin asshole but I don't call this guy out and say "Hey you're a fuckin asshole for doing that" because it's why he buys and it's his right to. Now, out of tens of thousands of game and anime music releases available and a very limited amount of money to spend on them, which one will you pick: the one with good music and shitty artwork, or the one with good music and good artwork? You can't buy them all, so why not pick the ones you're really impressed with all the way through? I really can't blame Zethe for being selective and neither should you, nor is it your place to. Plus, he even gave room for people that like the minimalist look in his first post. This is like telling someone who has seen a work of art and won't buy it because it's shitty "You can't say that because you haven't bought it." But, he can say that, because he's still seen it whether he's bought it or not and it's still shitty. So, all this hate is really stupid and everyone saying "I bought it and so my opinion counts for more" is an asshole.

Good day.

Last edited by Hellacia; Oct 21, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:45 AM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vienna
Posts: 199
Default

You don't have to like the S1&2 release because of various reasons - but because of the artwork you don't agree with? What's the matter with you people? We bought the CDs for the original tracks in first place, I can't remember that the artwork are that important for you guys.

Anyway Zethe, you still can throw the artworks away and enjoy the CDs. After all, you don't need to restrict yourself to some restrictive matters.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:48 AM
Api-Vat's Avatar
Api-Vat Api-Vat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: France
Posts: 13
Default

When you purchase an album, then you also pay the booklet.
VGMdb is a place for VGM lovers and collectors, so I can understand people want to see a good looking item in their hands, even if it's music in the first place.
I'm sad the booklet and the artwork are that poor, it's a 20th anniversary soundtrack after all, about a really special and popular series. I also expected more.

But still, I had already pre-ordered my copy when scans has been submitted and the cover art revealed. And I don't regret my purchase, even if I feel disappointed about that.
I don't see what is wrong with the fact that someone choose to not buy an item because he doesn't feel satisfied about it, whatever the reason.

Last edited by Api-Vat; Oct 22, 2011 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:52 AM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vienna
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Api-Vat View Post
I don't see what is wrong with the fact that someone choose to not buy an item because he doesn't feel satisfied about it, whatever the reason.
That's not the case here. It's a fact that he downloaded it illegal and still complaints about the release. He doesn't have any right to rant about anything at all. I could understand him if he indeed bought the album, but no, he doesn't, even when he likes the content.

People, you are disappointing me.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:42 AM
Vert1's Avatar
Vert1 Vert1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 325
Default

I feel like this should be a poll thread now with the question "Sonic 1&2 ost cover art yay or nay?"
__________________
Before the heavens, before destiny.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:06 AM
Cedille Cedille is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 2,026
Default

We would also benefit from having a thread with "illegal download, your opinion?" subject, which I believe is pretty much what made this thread as it is (although I'm not sure our admins are happy with having a place to publicly state our pirating behaviors here).
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:11 AM
the_miker's Avatar
the_miker the_miker is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
The reason many people are upset about the criticism, I suppose, is that this is a case where the musical contents (and the sentiment attached to it) far, far outweighs the expectations towards the package design.
I think you pretty much nailed it. Being a huge Sonic fan myself, I've been waiting for this music to be released ever since I got into VGM over a decade ago. The fact that we got the original Mega Drive music for both games would have been enough to satisfy me, but we're also treated to over an hour of previously unreleased demo tracks that Masato originally produced for Sega prior to them being converted to Mega Drive data. We get to hear how the composer initially intended the music to sound before it ever touched the YM2612 sound chip. Any true Sega fan will agree that this is like hitting the Sonic 1&2 music jackpot.

And with that said, there are people in this thread who openly admit to pirating the album (something I thought was frowned upon at VGMdb), saying they love the music, but then justify not purchasing the album and not supporting Sonic/Masato/Sega because they think the booklet could have been prettier? Really? Get over yourselves. If anyone has the elitist attitude in here, it's the pirates who get something for free and then expect the fans who actually spent their hard earned money on the product to sit back and not be offended when they trash it for trivial reasons.
__________________
https://twitter.com/the_miker
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:45 AM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 306
Default

Ok, given the crappy show which is airing on here, I might as well say:

Where's the pop corn when you need it most?!

Oh, guys, I must thank you all, you just reminded why I've decided to avoid discussing my VGMushak collecting passion with fellow collectors ç_ç

The music's shit/the package is crap/Just shut the FAQ up, you crappy downloader, you!/...

Oh, the memories...
In this world, or underworld - if you prefer -, you're sure to find countless VGM fans with opinions which differ from yours.... I say: Are you happy with what you own/listen/see? Then you've hitted the jackpot. You don't need to get this offended over such stuff, IMHO. Leave the guys alone with their opinions, they're entitled to have them, the same way you're entitled to have yours.
And... At the end of the day you will still be using your ears/eyes to enjoy the thing... Or... well... so I hope, right?
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Oct 22, 2011 at 07:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:02 AM
Zethe's Avatar
Zethe Zethe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 115
Default

SS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethe
I've accidentally submitted a new one instead of clicking the edit tracklist button. my fault (the submission is still @ pending status).
----------------------

I really wanted to stop, I really wanted (see my last post). But you leave me no other choice: I can't leave such BS uncommented, seeing that you spread rumors about me that are not true.

Stop looking for something in my words that's just not there. You interpret way too much; and most important of all: You interpret wrong. Read my posts again. What did I say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethe
... Now I know I'm glad I haven't paid for it. Bland, entirely uninspired and a complete joke. This is how VGM fans are treated after waiting for 2 decades? Nicely done.
My expectations were high for the first release, after 2 decades. Shit, how could they not be? Musically, my expectations were met, actually far exceeded because of the great demos (and usually this is all I need). Visually, not. With that I made room for my disappointment about the visual part, my opinion. And like I've said already:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethe
I'm all about the music. This album is just a special case because the games have a special place in many people's hearts and I stated my opinion about the outcome.
There's several albums in my possession with worse artwork than that. If I'd care for packaging usually, I wouldn't have bought this. Even if it hadn't had amano artwork, I'd still have bought it. It's one of my holy grails of game music and it's not hard to see that packaging in that case is pretty much nonexistent (look not only at the cover, which by itself is actually beautiful). I like to have complete copies, but I do usually not care the slightest bit (it doesn't matter when buying) if it looks good. Great presentation is a plus, not a must (for me, again: usually). You might be surprised to read that from me, but where exactly have I said otherwise? Stop interpreting. Read and understand this part again, correctly this time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethe
I'm all about the music. This album is just a special case because the games have a special place in many people's hearts and I stated my opinion about the outcome.
What did I say? That I see this album as a special case. And why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethe
but for something as popular and defining as the first two Sonic games, many people's childhood treasures and the reason they got into VGM, it just feels too easy to go ahead (nearly 19 years after the release of Sonic 2 and seeing that this album is the first release ever of the music in that form on CD) and e.g. put some blue text on a white piece of paper.
It's right there. Why have I said that I'm glad I didn't buy it? Because I saw the scans and it seemed to me that they did not put any real effort into the presentation of the great music of Nakamura. I'm glad I didn't support that by spending money on it. That's what I said. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfectly valid opinion. I can perfectly understand when people say: I love the demo tracks, they're worth the whole thing. Dude, we're actually not too far away from each other. It's just that I think that for an essential release like that, a little more effort in presenting the whole thing wouldn't have hurt. And it's my impression about the effort thing, some people may see it like it's supposed to be like that: Classic, minimalistic, sonic1-ish. I accept your opinion as you should mine.

If people who actually have bought it and who do hold it in their hands concur with me, then I can safely say my words weren't too far off. Wether I've downloaded it or not is completely unrelated to my message: You don't have to have the music to say that cover art and booklet design sucks, period (maybe in some people's very limited worlds though). Anyone who registers can look at high-res scans @ VGMdb. And if I may say so: My art museum analogy is spot-on. What's the difference, really? If you come again with that crap that I didn't buy it and have no right, then all hope is lost for you anyway or you just fall short of convincing arguments.

And hey, you know what? Downloaders do often "care about the music" more than so called (self-titled) "Collectors". Now think about that!
It's still frightening to see how you go from an opinion about the visual and openly and freely accessible part of a creative product over to a discussion about illegal downloading. If it weren't so sad (because of the involvement of so called "senior members") it would be hilarious and there's probably not just ilef that laughs his ass off about this whole discussion. Think about why. But now that you've started, let me say: I'm sure anyone who ever complained about other people who illegally downloaded something has downloaded themselves at one point. Even if it's just "to sample" something, to "see if it's worth buying". Stop that hypocritocrap. If you downloaded you downloaded. If it's one 128k mp3 or thousands of accurate flacs, differentiating there is not only wrong, it's completely stupid and shows that you're one laughable, self-imaginary arrogant pinhead. Mods/Admins: I didn't start that crap, look at the "senior members", the "trusted editors" here, those started all that BS. When I see what people can call themselves "senior member", one maybe feels entitled to even go that far to question this whole site. But I won't do that, I do leave generalization to the elitism crowd, that's something they do best. I love this site, and I know there are some really cool people here. Thanks for your words, Gigablah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker
... We get to hear how the composer initially intended the music to sound before it ever touched the YM2612 sound chip. Any true Sega fan will agree that this is like hitting the Sonic 1&2 music jackpot.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker
...but then justify not purchasing the album and not supporting Sonic/Masato/Sega because they think the booklet could have been prettier? Really? ...
Read this post carefully, and maybe you finally understand me correctly.

And Lucy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
We don't download for the sake of having it, no, we buy it, because we're collectors. If you still insist to discuss about a silly artwork, it's fine by me, but it's just swallow to me. You're not collectors, just merely downloaders.
Full of proud you say: "I'm a collector".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
We bought the CDs for the original tracks in first place, I can't remember that the artwork are that important for you guys.
Later, you question the value of artwork.

This seems strange to me. Aren't we (see how I'm including myself there?) physical collectors all about completeness? That Obi that has to be present, that sticker shall not be missing? Booklets are a natural part of an album. Lady, either you fail in argumentation or you simply aren't a collector as the majority of the people here are (at least I'd think the majority cares to at least have that stuff, not speaking about its beauty) rendering your whole point a complete joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATWART
If this album were never released, I wonder if Zethe would be complaining and whining about how not releasing a soundtrack was an unbelievable letdown to him. Seriously, this was one of the coolest things that SEGA/Nakamura could have done, and he rants about the artwork letting him down (to something, mind you, he didn't buy) ?
I laughed, thank you. Try something with substance next time. Oh wait, (given the unlikely chance you'd succeed) then you would actually turn this discussion into something worthwhile instead of one grand joke that, "mind you", I didn't start.

I didn't want to go that route, but you forced me to.

I have better things to do than writing long stupid (in the sense that I see this whole discussion as stupid) posts. I wanted to stop, but as long as I see wrong assumptions (out of very clearly put statements from my side) being made about my person, I will correct it.

Last edited by Zethe; Oct 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:58 AM
Yotsuya's Avatar
Yotsuya Yotsuya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 79
Default

Ironically, the interview taken from the booklet kind of mentions this topic:

Nakamura: Entertainment has a certain DNA, whether it be music, visuals, films or shows. Even music needs visuals ever since Michael Jackson made his great music videos. That is the most natural shape of entertainment. The marriage between music and visuals is very, very natural. That's the reason why people love games with music, or music with games, whichever. It's very simple. That is entertainment.

I'm sure Nakamura didn't have his cover art/booklet design in mind when he said this, but it speaks to our discussion. I regard the content of the booklet higher than it's layout, and the interview plus concept art are excellent additions. Personally I'd never seen any of the concept sketches for Sonic, so even the two pages of that were a treat to me. Could it have been designed better? Probably. Am I disappointed? No. But to each his own.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:45 AM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
He doesn't have any right to rant about anything at all. I could understand him if he indeed bought the album, but no, he doesn't, even when he likes the content.
First of all, I can't believe we're still talking about this shit, and second, I can't believe you're still saying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Let's not make this into a "I bought it, you didn't" argument, that's not really pertinent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
This is like telling someone who has seen a work of art and won't buy it because it's shitty "You can't say that because you haven't bought it." But, he can say that, because he's still seen it whether he's bought it or not and it's still shitty.
You are wrong, the end, admit it and get over it. People don't buy or earn opinions, they formulate them naturally and don't have to answer to anyone for them. Are you just not capable of reading? You are so fuckin wrong. I repeat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
everyone saying "I bought it and so my opinion counts for more" is an asshole.
Your opinion does not count for more, Lucy, because you spent money on something. It's the same product no matter how much money you've spent on it. Stop being a moron, Jesus Christ. No seriously, flames aside, grow up and look at how irrelevant what you're saying is. You don't have a point here. Stop talking, please.

Another thread in which I'm done because I don't want to try to get through to people who can neither read simple facts nor admit they're wrong. We all have a right to an opinion, Zethe stated his, you disagreed with it. OH MY GOD, GET OVER IT.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:46 AM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vienna
Posts: 199
Default

There's no need for any further discussion with you Zethe. You cannot pull off your xanathos speed chess because you will never change the fact that you downloaded something despite the very reason you didn't wanted to buy it in the first place.

As Miker pointed it out you got something to free and still feel free to criticize it. You spend nothing for it and I think we all can say for sure that we got your message about the artwork. Granted, let's move on. And from there on, what have you left to argue with? Well, there's nothing.

If you really insist on bragging about something what you pirated, go on. It won't bother me anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:54 AM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vienna
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Your opinion does not count for more, Lucy, because you spent money on something. It's the same product no matter how much money you've spent on it. Stop being a moron, Jesus Christ. No seriously, flames aside, grow up and look at how irrelevant what you're saying is. You don't have a point here. Stop talking, please.
Well, let me get this straight: It's fine for you that someone pirated something what he/she actually could buy because you can't stand the artwork/jewel case/CD design/booklet/etc.?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:00 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Okay, I'm gonna post again because apparently you're misunderstanding something. HOW DID THIS BECOME ABOUT PIRATING? This was never about pirating! This is about people jumping down someone's throat because of an opinion! This isn't about whether or not it's right to pirate anything.

I don't care if he's downloaded 20,000 soundtrack releases: if Zethe or anyone else thinks the artwork is subpar and is therefore not going to buy the soundtrack, then that is their right. When you try to take that right away from someone Lucy, you are wrong. That is not an opinion. It is a fact. It is a fact that anybody has the right to dislike anything for any reason and not spend their money on it because of that reason.

The 'right' to pirating something is just so irrelevant to all this. That's a whole different argument.

Last edited by Hellacia; Oct 22, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:09 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vienna
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Okay, I'm gonna post again because apparently you're misunderstanding something. HOW DID THIS BECOME ABOUT PIRATING? This was never about pirating! This is about people jumping down someone's throat because of an opinion! This isn't about whether or not it's right to pirate anything.
Perhaps you missed the whole point that you have to buy the album if you want to listen to the three CDs. Otherwise it's pirated. We don't talk about YouTube/NicoNicoVideo listenings, we're talking about day one, better said, almost zero hour impressions after the OST has been released at FFShrine.

I don't say that he deserves to be lynched, of course not, but he should have been at last a bit smarter before he posts something about he doesn't like and even don't paid for after listining to it. He should have known that some kind of reaction was coming with his posting. That's the whole case in a nutshell and you even want to approve this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
The 'right' to pirating something is just so irrelevant to all this. That's a whole different argument.
It is not. Because if we start to support pirating than there's no need for CD releases anymore. Just release everything for free on the internet and we've our time of our life.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

...yeah, you really don't get it. Or, I don't. I still think we're having two different arguments
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:24 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vienna
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
...yeah, you really don't get it. Or, I don't. I still think we're having two different arguments
Don't get me wrong, I get your point, but I can't overlook the illegal download topic for now.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:49 PM
Teioh's Avatar
Teioh Teioh is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I don't say that he deserves to be lynched, of course not, but he should have been at last a bit smarter before he posts something about he doesn't like and even don't paid for after listining to it.
So, is this about piracy or people who don't like this album? What about those who praise it, are we going to try and verify if they've bought it? Or should we continue this logic and say "You cannot prove you paid for it, you have no right to praise it"... "You did not pre-order it, you have no right to look forward to it!"..?
To me this looks like using piracy as an excuse trying to invalidate the fact that apparently, this didn't meet some people's expectations.

As for me, I don't care about Sonic, never did, but I love reading stuff like this
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:58 PM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 306
Default

Ahahah! Teioh said it best. This kind of conversation is always amazing.

Anyway, I know I'm a mere user, but I think it would be ok to create a topic about illegal download and its impact on VGM industry, as long as actual download links don't show up.
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”
Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vienna
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teioh View Post
So, is this about piracy or people who don't like this album? What about those who praise it, are we going to try and verify if they've bought it? Or should we continue this logic and say "You cannot prove you paid for it, you have no right to praise it"... "You did not pre-order it, you have no right to look forward to it!"..?
To me this looks like using piracy as an excuse trying to invalidate the fact that apparently, this didn't meet some people's expectations.

As for me, I don't care about Sonic, never did, but I love reading stuff like this
It's about piracy. I would never had the idea to rant about something because I got it for free on the internet. For me, such behavior looks like being spoiled.

My point still is: You pirated something from the internet for free (which actually costs money), discuss totally around the main reason why you might got this if you had the money (the music) and declares it's just a rushed project because the artwork (which isn't your real concern if you just downloaded it) sucks.

So, does it meet his expectations now? I don't think so. You don't have anything from the artworks if you just pirated it.

Edit: So, I made my point for the last time clear. If I give you guys and girls the feeling that I'm bit ackward, well, I do apologize for it. But I can't stand hypocritical thinking.

Last edited by Lucy; Oct 22, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
MiLO's Avatar
MiLO MiLO is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 604
Default

I probably couldn't agree more with what Hellacia has been saying and what Teioh just said. Lucy, I'm sorry, but you really should take it easy and hold it off with assumptions and accusations of other members.

It's ok to express your opinion about anything in life, not only the things that you paid for, and everyone has that right.

So if I watched a movie on TV instead of paying for it in a movie theater, and the movie sucked, does it mean I have no right to tell my friends about it? Come on now.

About piracy, yes it's not right, but guess what, he does it, you do it, I do it, everybody does... and we still buy stuff too, it is perfectly fine to do both. And just cause you downloaded something, doesn't mean you should be ashamed of it and keep it to yourself, and never let it out. If every person paid for every single album they wanted to listen to, they'd be flat out broke.

Also that's where the formula "Try It Before You Buy It" can be applied to.

Last edited by MiLO; Oct 22, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

For fun I'll buy a little into the "is piracy right" topic since you seem to be fixated on that, Lucy. I may repeat a couple people here and if I do, well there you go, I agree with you. I know for a fact Zethe buys albums all the time. In fact, he's like me: I spend every single dollar I make (which is not much) on VGM. I could also admit to you here that we download music, but that's inconsequential and I'll tell you why: I've bought albums I've downloaded before. Yep, Shin Onimusha Dawn of Dreams is just one of them I can name. For me, whether or not I can download something is not a reason not to buy it. And honestly, I think Zethe operates in a similar way. I'm pretty sure that Zethe has refused to buy this album simply because it doesn't live up to his expectations as a whole, whether it's the music, artwork... or whatever. It doesn't meet his expectations. So, he's not going to buy it. Whether or not he downloads a digital copy of the music after that is sort of moot because he wasn't going to buy it anyway and therefore no money that was going to come from him has been lost, because no money was going to come from him at all, ever.

I'm not saying piracy is right, but I'm saying that... well, I guess I'm saying that I don't really get your point here. I thought you were arguing that since he didn't buy the album, his opinion is moot. Every time I thwart that argument, you bring up the piracy thing again. But, there's no piracy involved in an album that Zethe was prior inclined to buy because he was never inclined to buy it and it's because of his opinions of the artwork... or whatever else. And those are opinions he has the right to. So, piracy isn't even a factor in this discussion. It's a moot point because it's not a deciding point about whether or not he's buying something, which is not a deciding point about whether or not his opinion of it is valid.

I'm sure you'll post something about piracy again though, as if I never said anything, like a broken record... but I'm just saying, downloading music is not really a reason that people don't buy something. Not everyone. Not me, and I've talked with Zethe about listening to and buying VGM enough to be pretty sure that he feels the same way.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:49 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vienna
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I'm sure you'll post something about piracy again though, as if I never said anything, like a broken record... but I'm just saying, downloading music is not really a reason that people don't buy something. Not everyone. Not me, and I've talked with Zethe about listening to and buying VGM enough to be pretty sure that he feels the same way.
Actually no, I won't. I can say for sure that we all have downloaded a copies of CDs even before we purchased the ones we wanted for various reasons but I don't like the direction which the thread has gone. Perhaps I'm just sad how things turned out here and you people let Zethe go away with this. Miker stated it exactly how it is and I feel the same.

So, that's all from me to this topic. I think I would only repeat myself for a dozen times more and honestly, it's enough.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:00 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Let Zethe go away with what? Stating his opinion? ....uhhh.... oh, shame on us, someone states his opinion and we let him get away with it.

For the millionth time: he has the right to that opinion. You buying the album doesn't make your opinion worth more... am I repeating myself here? I guess it's still not getting through and you think your bullshit morale high ground gives you some special clout or something.

Last edited by Hellacia; Oct 22, 2011 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:41 PM
TerraEpon's Avatar
TerraEpon TerraEpon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 436
Default

I'm so glad I'm just a music lover and not a collector.

I love Sonic 1 & 2's music. I didn't pre-order it. OH HOW HORRIBLE.

I may or may not buy it, eventually. No idea yet. But yeesh, I never understood the "you're not a REAL fan if you do/don't do x" attitude. It makes absolutely no sense.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:30 PM
PsychoZeke's Avatar
PsychoZeke PsychoZeke is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sector 2814
Posts: 459
Exclamation

I am honestly tired and disappointed of this type of behavior, which I sincerely believe needs to be dealt with in some manner. Not implying that people should be banned, but people do need to show more respect—we are here to interact and exchange thoughts and ideas after all.

This has to be the worst display of disparagement I have seen on these forums, including the trite spectacle of elitism and wanton posts that only speak badly of its poster(s). Less asininity and more cordiality, please.

Sorry for the following, as the least I want is to be cliché and possibly treat anyone like a little kid, but I genuinely feel like doing this because...

...we're on a...

Forum:
n.
1. A public meeting place for open discussion.
2. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

...where we are free to carry more than one...

Discussion:
n.
1. Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.
2. A formal discourse on a topic; an exposition.
3. An exchange of views on some topic.
4. The examination or consideration of a matter in speech or writing.

...in order to expose our...

Thoughts:
n.
1. The act or process of thinking; deliberation, meditation, or reflection.
2. A concept, opinion, or idea.
3. Philosophical or intellectual ideas typical of a particular time or place.
4. Application of mental attention; consideration.

...and...

Ideas:
n.
1. An opinion, conviction, or principle.
2. A notion; a fancy.
3. An individual's conception of something.
4. A personal view.

...so that we can properly formulate and share an...

Opinion:
n.
1. A personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty.
2. Evaluation, impression, or estimation of the value or worth of a person or thing.
3. A point open to question.
4. A belief or sentiment shared by most people.

...for everyone to...

Consider:
n.
1. Careful thought; deliberation.
2. A result of considering; an opinion or a judgment.
3. Thoughtfulness for other people; kindness.

...and...

Evaluate:
tr.v.
1. To examine and judge carefully; appraise.

...but most importantly...

Respect:
n.
1. An attitude of deference, admiration, or esteem; regard.
2. Polite or kind regard; consideration.

tr.v.
1. To have an attitude of esteem towards; show or have respect for.
2. To pay proper attention to; not violate.
3. To show consideration for; treat courteously or kindly.

I appeal to everyone to consider this in order to stop this fruitless debacles.

Just food for though. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:36 AM
Boco Boco is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 70
Default

So long as we're stating our opinions, I'm just gonna second The_Miker's thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
And with that said, there are people in this thread who openly admit to pirating the album (something I thought was frowned upon at VGMdb), saying they love the music, but then justify not purchasing the album and not supporting Sonic/Masato/Sega because they think the booklet could have been prettier? Really? Get over yourselves. If anyone has the elitist attitude in here, it's the pirates who get something for free and then expect the fans who actually spent their hard earned money on the product to sit back and not be offended when they trash it for trivial reasons.
That's exactly what I think. People are free to say whatever they want, but then they shouldn't complain when it comes back to bite them. Especially if they claim to be fans/collectors and then bait their peers by openly admitting to piracy because the artwork, not the music, was disappointing. Lame. Of course the response from real, passionate fans and collectors who pour their time and energy into this hobby would be harsh. What else would one expect?

Personally, I'm in this hobby for the music. The music determines what I decide to purchase. Everything else is just icing; not the cake. I realize that maybe other people don't see it that way, but that's a mindset I simply can't comprehend. Why collect music for anything other than, well, music?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:02 AM
Sireef's Avatar
Sireef Sireef is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 82
Default

A lot of the time, when I pre-order an album, there isn't a cover up yet. I've had my fair share of CDs where I haven't been a big fan of the artwork, although I do like the front cover of this album. I only buy CDs to listen to the music, but other people have different requirements, especially when they're low on money and have to pick their albums carefully. I still think that the music is the most important aspect of any, um, music CD, but other people do have the right to their own opinions. The thing with art is that it is very opinionated. For example, someone may like a painting that another person hates, or thinks is dull. The same can be said about album art.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ALCA-5015: SONIC & KNUCKLES • SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3 Nisto Album Discussions 34 Sep 25, 2017 08:51 PM
POCS-21032~4: SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 1&2 SOUNDTRACK Nisto Album Discussions 93 Jan 6, 2016 12:22 AM
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 EPISODE II Original Soundtrack CHz Album Discussions 1 Jul 5, 2012 05:16 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles 8-Bit Soundtrack cetera Album Discussions 22 Oct 23, 2011 10:14 AM
A shipping problem (from POCS-21032~4: Sonic the Hedgehog 1&2 Soundtrack) Boyblunder Video Game Music Discussion 19 Oct 19, 2011 05:13 PM