VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:36 PM
Trusted Editor

Haha, more of these!

Made a quick scan through my film scores and now listening to this and afterwards to Powell's Robots.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:39 PM
VGMdb Staff

There's no good reason for Powell's discography to be added right now.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:21 PM
VGMdb Staff

With Rio I've completed my evil plan of adding a sample of western animations OSTs to JVGMdb oops VGMdb. Five even have Gregson-Williams involved
Joking aside, sure, still no opening for western animation submissions because of trouble it carries (possible poor submissions, verification etc.), but if the ones I added that feature only Powell have such destructive powers to vgmdb at this moment, SS/Gigablah will axe 'em alright and everyone'll be happy (or of course just tell me to deactivate them, simpler than wasting their time in browsing submissions).

I promise I won't add any more western animation OSTs.

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 15, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:42 PM
Trusted Editor

I think there's one problem with opening up the database for albums like these.
having a discussion on what to include and what not is a great thing but everytime somebody finds a new 'loophole' in the guidelines, all that's added is 4-5 of the favorite albums and not a serious and meaningful amount of information about the subject in general.
I love the Chicken Run soundtrack but I don't see why it's included at this point either and while I don't really care about (eastern) anime soundtracks, the amount we carry of the latter is gaining informational value with every addition (so it becomes more acceptable)
Why not discuss pros and cons in advance, like every community (perhaps I just missed the thread)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:20 PM

I remember he did start a discussion and even kept these albums hidden until it became clear that nobody bothered to express a strongly dissenting view, at least, in that thread. So, while I'm not really a big fan of making an exception in our coverage for a reason that wouldn't be quite apparent for everybody, the additions itself seemed to be done through due procedures.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:16 AM
Trusted Editor

Guys, we already had this discussion:
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4523

SS never really restriced anime to eastern anime when we opened the DB to such submissions. As long as the quality is high and detailed I really don't see a problem here.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:04 AM
VGMdb Staff

A three year old discussion isn't exactly relevant now.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:35 AM
VGMdb Staff

^Well it took around 4 years to open up to massive anime entries (~7000+ entries now), and this really is the third year when anything anime related is absolutely ok to add which means that incomparably smaller western animation portion (by that I do mean major players only - Pixar, Disney, DreamWorks) is also waiting 3 years... Just saying there's a meaning there too.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:46 AM
Trusted Editor

Of course the discussion is relevant. I think some of you confuse rules/guidelines with stuff that is actually happening. Just because nobody adds western animation on a regular basis, doesn't mean it is against the rules.

The reason why we just saw large additions of eastern animation was just because the expertise is (and was) there. Even if Phono will probably disagree, but we're still striving for quality content here. Which means someone (from staff) has to be able to verify additions in the corresponding sector.

This is also why I don't see any problems with the current mild inflow of western animation. Anything that Efendija added recently is perfectly done and needs no (and if anything, just very minor) adjustments. Problems arise when regular joe adds his shitload of albums, where some of them are already in the DB, some clearly don't belong here and all of them are of poor submission quality (so staff has to fix them). This is not what is happening here!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:45 AM
Trusted Editor

I'm just throwing this on this thread since its in the new posts search for the forums, but applies to the issue as a whole

Before allowing wide spread releases of western stuff please fix filtering so those of us who don't care about them can filter them out of every view, search and calendar. The last thing I want to see is all this garbage (plus doujin) in calendar releases and searches.

/.02
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:04 AM

that's why I spoke about having other color for western animation and therefore a new anime category for that
because I want to filter that too (as I filter doujin and bootleg)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:23 AM
VGMdb Staff

It is very interesting to see how some people won't even try to sound... reserved, at least in a more polite manner so to speak, when talking about things they don't like/despise.
I did try my best not to comment on anything music taste related (or been really minimalistic about it), but really I can also be bothered why to love-ru bullshit has the same color/classification as (Phono mentioned yay) princess mononoke (without even listening to the music). Or why some JP pc adult game OST has the same color code as shenmue. Etc, etc. But I said that now lol
That was real smooth dancey XD

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:56 PM
Trusted Editor

Anyone who knows me knows I call it like I see it. I don't care or mind if movie, western animation albums are in the database I just have no interest in adding or seeing them. The whole point of this site (for me) is to find info on vgm and anime albums because its not all in English in the inserts and to find like minded people for discussion or marketplace. It's also a fun side hobby when I have time to try and give my knowledge back to the community (Hisaishi, etc) when I can. There's not a lot of that for western stuff since its pretty much spelled out for you in English. And there are sites that do those stuff better anyway.

/.04c
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:04 PM
VGMdb Staff

OK, let's say I don't want to see the Hisaishi's original work albums, meaning those that aren't related to any product or if they are that'll be some live action movie or tv series, in short those in darker blue. And not just Hisaishi, anyone's. Is there a filter for excluding those entries? Yeah, I'm really asking, why do I have to see all those dark blue original work stuff
But hey, I've never filtered out entries, I'm seeing them all and will continue like that, it's really not a big deal to me, personal choice & all, but again, seriously asking, is there a filter for the 'no category' albums, that will effectively hide dark blue entries?

If the game is in English, does that also mean it's not supposed to be catalogued, because well, it's a game soundtrack, it's not Japanese/Korean/Chinese etc, it's all in English, everything's spelled out for you, why bother making the entry then?

You have no interest to add western animations OSTs - well sure, that's a given, nobody's pointing a gun at you ffs... Everyting here is on voluntary basis, always was. And not wanting to see these entries is entirely justified of course, don't think I disrespect your views. It's just the 'if it's in English, all is spelled out' deal can be applied to game soundtracks just as easily. Would this site be really comprehensive as it is today if it hasn't included western game soundtracks, guided by the all spelled out logic?

Also this, it's a bloody well known fact that western animation is a joke compared to the tens & tens of anime series, movies & OVAs per year, if the quantity is a joke and yes it really is, why is such a huge problem to include these entries, why the general hostility that certain members express? It's like some regular dude stepped on the holy land and many want to kick him out as soon as possible with occasional episodes of disgust...

dancey, you do contradict yourself after all; saying you don't mind or care if these albums are added here (with request for filtering 'em out of course), but in the end you do use the spelled out criteria and would really like them not being here at all. It is personally surprising to see that from such good and respected member of this site. But yeah, compared to you I'm just a new guy (joining date comparison, no deeper or hidden meaning to this XD) and of course I don't and will not know you as well as other people do.

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 16, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:55 PM
VGMdb Staff

p.s. it's always a pleasure when the discussion has people who keep it in good, neutral and enjoyable flow, (such as Cedille), and hell, Liquid (if I may notice) even encouraged these submissions XDD, so it's not all landmines for me ya know

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:58 PM.