VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 16, 2021, 02:06 AM
Trusted Editor

Here's again in the database a soundtrack from a movie directed by the great Japanese director Kinji Fukasaku that I appreciate a lot.
If you don't know or don't know much about it, take a look at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinji_Fukasaku
This director is particularly known in the West for having made the masterpiece "Battle Royale" in 2000.

Satomi Hakken-den is a cult movie from the 80s with the also cult actors Hiroyuki Sanada, Sonny Chiba and Kenji Ohba (known for "Space Sheriff Gavan"). This is a medieval adventure movie oriented heroic-fantasy. The studio sets are fantastic, the film also incorporates elements of horror and tokusatsu (in terms of the looks of villains and fights). The fights are really neat in the choreographies, the final battle is impressive. It's a film that you must have seen at least once in my opinion, I think it's aged pretty well.

As for the soundtrack, it is mainly composed by Masahide Sakuma and NOBODY, with 2 tracks by Hiroyuki Nanba. This soundtrack played mainly on the synth is nothing exceptional (Masahide Sakuma tracks stand out), but some action themes are excellent. I would say that for my part the high point of the soundtrack is the incredible AOR song "Hakkenshi no Theme (White Light)" performed by John O'Banion, which for me is one of the best songs from movies of the 80s.

Besides, in terms of songs, it should be noted that the credits are not the same in the Japanese end credits compared to those of the album. We have these credits:

Song "Hakkenshi no Theme (White Light)"
Lyrics: David Palmer
Composition: Joey Carbone, Richie Zito

Song "Satomi Hakken-den"
Lyrics: Kathi Pinto
Composition: Joey Carbone

No precision for the arrangements on the other hand. I looked on JASRAC database, which has the same credits as the album. So I left the album credits.

Finally, the site links to other Kinji Fukasaku movie soundtracks:
Message from Space: https://vgmdb.net/album/69937
Samurai Reincarnation: https://vgmdb.net/album/104604
Battle Royale: https://vgmdb.net/album/60367

Last edited by SaintSquall; Apr 16, 2021 at 02:14 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 03:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

Hi SaintSquall, why don't link remastered edition as child? If there isn't different any mastering engineer indication in both edition I think we can set as child.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 04:11 AM
Trusted Editor

Other staff members told me that in case of a new master, the reissue should not be a child album. You have to decide
It's like for this album for example: https://vgmdb.net/album/45906
Anyway we can find the other albums with the part on the right "Related Albums".
Old Apr 16, 2021, 04:54 AM
VGMdb Staff

Wait, "remaster" and "new master" are not synonymous. Usually yes but not always
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:13 PM
Trusted Editor

OK, here's for the album TOCT-11601 and UPCY-9639 we have a digital remastering. So I selected the "Remaster" classification, which is not possible to do on a child album, unless you indicate that in the notes. And besides in this case the "Remaster" classification is no longer useful.
We already have had a private discussion about all of this, and you know what I think, I'm just following the site rules: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=640#post640
And why for this one you didn't say nothing?: https://vgmdb.net/album/110788
Old Apr 17, 2021, 03:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

I can't check everything
That discussion is old or at least don't analyze the problem in the right focus, so I think we (mods, trusted and users) should update rules about this.
As said in the past, about the 95% of digital releases have different mastering from their analog counterparts and digital themselves, so we "should" unchild almost all stuff in database.
The real focus to consider is why differentiate a remaster if the contents recorded are the same between releases?
Almost all digital releases have noise reduction, digital cut, digital compressors, filters, etc.. compared old analog transfers.
I can take a digital mp3/wav or an old tape rip and adjust frequencies, fixed glitches, and so "remaster" them digitally. But the source was the SAME, it came from results of the the old processes recorded from first trasnfers from analog master > example: from master tapes to digital DATs, you could loose frequencies (due DATs limit themselves), dynamics, and if you remaster a CD from DATs you'll start from something that was already lost in the "first process" (master tape to DAT); that because "cooking" an analog tape it's not a simple process and have lot of risks in deteriorating/damaging it.
While a new mastering transfer start from a new "cooking" the old analog tape, virtually it's different... I can say exactly all the difference between Lupin digital and analog prints or digitals themselves, we should unchild everything.
It's simple, you'll take a wave analyzer and you'll find where they did corrections, and if the transfers comes from the same source or from differents, that's why I support to link/child everything based only on contents (song/bgm) list and not how they edit/remastered it cause virtually they (engineers) changed always something which could't be perceptible by human ears

Last edited by depa; Apr 17, 2021 at 03:15 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 03:21 AM
Trusted Editor

OK, tell that to other staff members who have a different opinion on this subject (it would be nice if they could intervene on the subject please) For my part I have already told you that I tend to agree with you. Either way, I'll go with the flow.
But I would like to know quickly what is decided before submitting other digitally remastered albums.

Last edited by SaintSquall; Apr 17, 2021 at 03:24 AM.