VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Default 5 Star Ratings

My own personal opinion for giving 5-Stars, is that it should be a LONG TERM contender:

"Is this still going to be enjoyable and amazing when I listen to it 10 years or 20 years from now?"

Example: Super Mario Bros music passes a 20 year test, everyone still loves it = worthy of the 5 star.

For the rating scale in general, I use the middle of the scale as the STARTING POINT (2.5 stars) as "this just sounds Normal/Average/Expected".

So if it sounds a bit above average it goes up to a 3, if it's REALLY good then a 3.5 or 4, and pretty freaking awesome bumps up to 4 or 4.5

If it's kinda bland and uninspired, it goes down from 2.5 or 2, and it's gotta be completely sucktastic to get a 1.

Your ratings are yours to do what you want with them of course, but try to use a long term view of "Am I still going to be amazed by this a few years from now?" when dishing out Fivers.