VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 22, 2020, 04:46 PM

Default What is the standard for digital releases where the album is divided by disc?

I am wondering what the standard treatment is for soundtracks that have received digital releases identical to the original release, but divided into separate albums by disc.

Over the past few years, Sega released several of their albums on digital platforms. One example is https://vgmdb.net/album/4422 was divided into https://vgmdb.net/album/35078 and https://vgmdb.net/album/35079.

I think this is important because it serves as an easy way to access the different volumes of a digital soundtrack, which is notoriously difficult on US iTunes and Amazon due to their algorithms regarding artists and search terms. Additionally, the digital price per disc often differs from the release price of the CD.

Several of the soundtracks for the Atelier series have been added to Amazon and iTunes. Specifically, Atelier Iris 2's soundtrack, which has a different price point than the CD release, as well as several different track titles than in the database.

I'd like to help and am wondering what the best course of action would be. Should I: 1) Submit links to the digital storefronts on the currently existing page such as (Amazon; Disc 1) for each volume and list the Amazon/iTunes localized tracklist as an alternate tracklist; 2) Submit the digital releases as child albums to the main release; 3) Submit the digital releases as separate albums as was done with the Sonic soundtrack above? All the best--Liertcat
Old Jul 22, 2020, 07:16 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liertcat View Post
1) Submit links to the digital storefronts on the currently existing page such as (Amazon; Disc 1) for each volume and list the Amazon/iTunes localized tracklist as an alternate tracklist;
This is the way you should do it. The localized tracklist can be submitted as "English (Official)" if it's a different translation. There wasn't a standard for these types of submissions in the past so that's why you can still find old albums like those 2 examples.

I think the main reason labels publish discs separately is because not all digital stores have a "disc" feature. This is also why you often see multi-disc albums combined into one big tracklist.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 07:49 PM

Thank you for the quick response!