VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I really like the Dracula X soundtrack, but while I love the SNES sound, I just prefer the PC Engine versions: http://vgmdb.net/album/2938

The only track I can recall from the SNES that isn't on the PC Engine is the credits theme.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:35 PM

Well the intro and ending (not just the credits roll) theme was also different, it had a lot more Dracula Apocalypse feel to it (no wonder one of the composers was the same, but I can't recall his name). I'm also up for a Dracula X SNES release, as some of the songs just sounded better to me on the SNES hardware. I still find the SNES "Illusionary Dance" to be the most powerful sounding version of it up to now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukaCola View Post
- Batman NES (Nobuyuki Hara, Naoki Kodaka)
Now, that's something. I've become a huge fan of Kodaka-kun's work, especially on the Batman games, so I'd be totally over it. His work on the MD Batman was even better. Never a movie game could have such awesome non-movie music.

Ditto for Hiroyuki Iwatsuki. Wild Guns or Ninja Warriors Again just scream to be released

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:14 PM

So....no one has mentioned Neo Contra yet?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
God, I have too many too list. Many of my all time favorite soundtracks have no album releases. Here are just a few:
Plok! - The soundtrack that introduced me to the greatness of Tim Follin.
All Follin OSTs deserve an official release, if not some iTunes dedication. Of course, you knew I was a Follin fanatic, didn't ya?

Quote:
God, I have too many too list. Many of my all time favorite soundtracks have no album releases. Here are just a few:

Dragon Valor - Neat PS1 soundtrack done by some little known composers.
Ikaruga - Would be cool to have some arrangements on the album from SuperSweep/Basiscape.
I remember you introducing me to DV's soundtracks. I even bought a used PS1 CD, just to hear it!

I believe Ikaruga received a Japan-only OST release. Confirm?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:33 AM

I heard Iuchi himself said it wasn't worth listening to outside of the game.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman1mrman1 View Post
I believe Ikaruga received a Japan-only OST release. Confirm?
I've never heard of that. I'd think it'd be cataloged here if that were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I heard Iuchi himself said it wasn't worth listening to outside of the game.
It seems fitting he would say that. He probably underestimates his skill as a musician, which is why he hasn't worked on any other soundtracks (to my knowledge). Given, the instrument quality leaves something to be desired, even though it is distinctive. But I feel he's quite apt at composing melodies, and I'd like to hear more from him.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:45 AM

I'm still waiting for a Twilight Princess album
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:33 AM

yea, i'm really confused as to why there isn't one. still no official mention on that?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'm rather disappointed with Nintendo's soundtrack releases over the last several years, given the magnitude of the company. They were more apt at releasing albums back in the SNES days. They put out some good albums sometimes, but their distribution is largely limited to promos.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:31 PM

I don't think any of the Timesplitters games ever got any soundtrack releases, which is a shame. Love the music from that series.

Did Super Aleste ever get a soundtrack release? Love that one but I don't think it was ever released. It should be released in a boxset with other soundtracks from the Aleste series.

Seems like a couple of western RPG scores should've been released that either weren't released at all or were released as limited and near impossible to find promos. Soundtracks like those of KOTOR I/II (the first had a promo release, I believe), Planescape: Torment (another promo release), and the original Fallout games (seems like the first Fallout had an official soundtrack release, but it's hard as heck to find).

Lastly, some Rare scores should've seen a release, like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini. It's a little surprising that even Goldeneye 007 never got a soundtrack release, as popular a game as it was.

Quote:
Plok! - The soundtrack that introduced me to the greatness of Tim Follin.
They should throw in Equinox and Spiderman vs X-Men to make it a 16-bit three-pack.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:45 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

It would be awesome if Phantom Brave Wii got a complete soundtrack.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:09 PM

I'm still waiting for Opoona to be released. Hopefully on the new Basiscape label. Having heard the RE Darkside Chronicles gamerip I think that game needs a soundtrack release as well. Same with the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by James Hannigan.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:01 AM

Can't you freely download music from Timesplitters games? The website that currently hosts the soundtracks claims that there was no OST release, so they are allowed to put up the music free-of-charge (highly doubtful but if that is true, wow), but before FRD became Crytek UK their website had music from their games for free download.

Last edited by lgb; Dec 15, 2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:15 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We actually have VGMdb entries for those Time Splitters releases.

http://vgmdb.net/search?q=time+split

I don't know if the website you mention has permission to host them or not.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:36 PM

As was mentioned, Goldeneye is a big one. A few others I can think of off the top of head would be Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (the original audio, not an arrange disc) and I'd love an album for TNT: Evilution from Final Doom on the PC as well as the SNES sound for the original game.

Rockman Dash 2 would have been on the list, but we've gotten something for that game recently and since it has the best two tracks from the game on it, I'll put that one to rest. Keeping with Rockman the first Rockman World on the GB was pretty solid as well.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
God, I have too many too list.
Seconded. Most of my soundtrack listening is done through emulated formats (sid, nsf, gbs, etc), so ones with official OSTs are in the minority. Heck, even some very popular titles with OSTs don't get a comprehensive treatment. Doesn't Castlevania 2 only have a hodge-podge of US and FDS (Dracula II) tracks? Rather than there being complete versions of each out there?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Day of Disaster. Also, a _proper_ Need for Speed 2 soundtrack. Not this...thing..in the database...
Furthermore, "Die Gilde" (OST of "Die Gilde 2" is a joke compared to the first part), Sid Meier's Civilization II - oh, and Swing. Anno 1602 would be nice, too.
And it's not a game, but I'd kill for a CD release of PRESS START 2008 Symphony of Games.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

There is finally hope for Opoona. Basiscape asked on Twitter what game soundtrack people would be interested in, and quite a number of answers point to Opoona (including mine, which I think is pretty clear). Fingers crossed!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Doesn't Castlevania 2 only have a hodge-podge of US and FDS (Dracula II) tracks? Rather than there being complete versions of each out there?
If I recall correctly, I think the entire soundtrack is presented in FDS. Beyond that, there are 3 picks from the US version.

Personally, I find Castlevania III's medley treatment more annoying.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:13 AM

Pokemon Stadium 1 (2 in Japan) OST.

I don't mean that mix of Snap and Stadium short soundtrack. I want a full release of Mewtwo's Battle Theme, and the other battle themes.

Digimon World 2: Decent songs and as far as I know it was never released.

Most others have either been mentioned previously or I've forgotted.

[SSBM also]
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:09 PM

Burnout's in need of some soundtrack releases. There have been none, right?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:53 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
There is finally hope for Opoona. Basiscape asked on Twitter what game soundtrack people would be interested in, and quite a number of answers point to Opoona (including mine, which I think is pretty clear). Fingers crossed!
Hmm, it appears there's some good news on this, but you probably already know.

Basiscape Makes Dreams Come True: Opoona Soundtrack Coming in 2010

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

An official soundtrack release for Mafia would be awesome.

The main theme is great!

Now, of course, I don't really know if this really has got all the tracks composed by Vladimir Simunek, though...

Last edited by Nisto; Apr 28, 2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:23 PM

There is quite a bit of music composed by soundTeMP for various online games that unfortunately do not have official soundtracks yet, such as: AceSaga, NeoSteam and Seal Online. Although only partially related to soundTeMP, La Tale might be getting a soundtrack release, however.

Old May 22, 2010, 11:17 AM

I'd kill for a Terminator: Salvation Game Score release.... The BGM has the Fiedel's theme written all over it.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:00 PM

AstroBoy: Omega Factor. It's got a great electro sound going for it. Someone at Sega should really put out an arranged album for it.

edit: Guilty Gear: Judgment also deserves a release just for that Stage 1 BGM track.

edit2: PN03 soundtrack for the boss music.

Last edited by Vert1; Jun 19, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:38 PM

Brandish 4. That is all.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:32 PM

Violinist of Hameln
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:51 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Mission: Impossible for the N64. Such an underrated soundtrack.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:22 PM

Yeah, I really liked the music in that game.

But as for the game itself... :/