VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
Trusted Editor

I confirmed from Masayuki Nagao that they are NOT the same person.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:33 AM
Trusted Editor

AND it turns out his real name is Akiyoshi Nagao.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Couple of questions on that second post about 長尾亮利:
  • Did you ask Einosuke if that was him? I've seen the name in Seirei Senshi Spriggan and figured it was, but GMCL treated them as separate people so I wasn't really sure. As far as I know, that name only appears in that game (GMCL credited 長尾亮利 to Space Megaforce too, but the name there is just "NAGAO").
  • Is the reading of 亮利 confirmed as Akiyoshi? There is an "A. Nagao" in the NES version of Puyo Puyo, but I don't believe "Akiyoshi" ever showed up in a game, and GMCL had that flagged as a questionable reading. Akiyoshi is kind of a weird way to read 亮利; Akitoshi would be more likely.
Old May 17, 2012, 02:05 AM
Trusted Editor

I have a friend on Facebook who asked Einosuke (Not Masayuki) if 長尾亮利 is him, and he responded yes.

Actually, on Mobygames it says "Akiyoshi Nagao (A. Nagao)". I then found the kanji for Akiyoshi, and then passed it on to him. Perhaps it is Akitoshi, but my friend on Facebook asked if he was Akiyoshi and he seemed surprised that somebody knew.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Nice at the confirmation they're the same. A relatively minor mystery as far as VGM composers go, but a mystery solved nevertheless!

I saw the MobyGames profile, but neither of the credited games actually say "Akiyoshi" or "Akitoshi" or anything else helpful. The only other halfway reliable place giving a reading for the name is GMCL, and that specifically noted it wasn't confirmed, so I'm just curious if the submitter had something concrete or not. Every single Japanese name on Moby without fail has a reading, which kind of makes me suspect that a lot of them are guesswork, but without sourcing I can't prove or disprove that.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with me being fussy about names.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:25 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Nice at the confirmation they're the same.
You talking about Masayuki and Einosuke? Masayuki Nagao and Einosuke/Akiyoshi Nagao are not related. Or maybe I am confused. haha

And it says Akiyoshi here.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
You talking about Masayuki and Einosuke? Masayuki Nagao and Einosuke/Akiyoshi Nagao are not related. Or maybe I am confused. haha
Nah, Einosuke and 亮利. Sorry for the confusion!

Quote:
Yeah, but that's only because the artist entry is Akiyoshi. Moby always displays the full name as a link, with the in-game alias in parentheses after it (when applicable). The game only says "A NAGAO": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGzR8R3ZJOc#t=1m07s.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:57 PM
Trusted Editor

Oh, ok.

And yea, I wonder where Akiyoshi originally came from?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I saw the MobyGames profile, but neither of the credited games actually say "Akiyoshi" or "Akitoshi" or anything else helpful. The only other halfway reliable place giving a reading for the name is GMCL, and that specifically noted it wasn't confirmed, so I'm just curious if the submitter had something concrete or not. Every single Japanese name on Moby without fail has a reading, which kind of makes me suspect that a lot of them are guesswork, but without sourcing I can't prove or disprove that.
Sorry to dig up such an old post, but the vast majority of translated Japanese credits on Mobygames were my submissions based on my own research. It's true that a not insubstantial amount of the names are best guesses (though I've tried to confirm readings on other games from the same company -- or other reliable sources, such as Anime News Network for animation credits). Unfortunately, it's a limitation of MG that you can't include either 1. incomplete credits, or 2. untranslated credits. There's also no way to mark a name as unconfirmed without making it an enormous hassle to find and revise it later, as changing credits as submission is a huge pain in the ass.

Not that it really matters much since the site is nothing more than an archive at this point, having been abandoned about two months ago.

Quote:
And yea, I wonder where Akiyoshi originally came from?
I believe the original source was the Canadian Copyright Database, which has also helped confirm Akiropito as Akira Soji.

The in-game credits for Kirby's Avalance list Jemini Hirono, Janus Teramoto, and Einosuke Nagao. The copyright listing has Takayuki Hirono, Koji Teramoto, and of course, Akiyoshi Nagao. You can thank Nintendo of America for this one.

Last edited by djsquarewave; Nov 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsquarewave View Post
Not that it really matters much since the site is nothing more than an archive at this point, having been abandoned about two months ago.
What happened there?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
What happened there?
It's a long story, and I'd prefer to not derail the topic, but read Rowan's post here -- "GF" here refers to GameFly -- for the basic gist of it. Much of the basic functionality (like private messages) is still broken after more than two months, and the entire approvals team has deserted.

I'd prefer to keep further discussion of this to PMs, as it isn't really that relevant here. I just felt I had to defend myself and my work.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:05 PM

That's more than enough info already, thanks for the link. ^^ Was just curious since I assumed with the newly site design it would be more active, not less. I see oregami.org wants to tackle the whole underlying issue, maybe I'll contact them so some basic errors (Kanji!) aren't repeated. /OT