VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

This is a surprising announcement. Too bad there's not a bonus Arrange Disc by the Sweep members though.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:13 PM

Since it's being pre-released at an event, it may come with a bonus CD with some sort of arrangement perhaps, given past event pre-releases.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 02:34 PM

Fixed up the game titles to be more consistent. Please complain about romanization and/or hyphens.

Why are they not including Out Zone and Fixeight. Why, why, why. I cannot believe that they do not consider Out Zone and Fixeight to be "shooting" enough for this box. I already don't like that this is shooting-only.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 03:46 AM

We normally use Western titles for a display title of products (and I fear it's a bit too late to change about 1,000 products we've added...), so, to avoid a discrepancy between the product table and the note, I'd use the traditional "Western Name (Original Name)" format here.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:27 PM

In that case, I've added all the titles. Nice box.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:00 PM

Changed the release date due to the delay. Releases Nov. 14th now according to the official page.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
Fixed up the game titles to be more consistent. Please complain about romanization and/or hyphens.

Why are they not including Out Zone and Fixeight. Why, why, why. I cannot believe that they do not consider Out Zone and Fixeight to be "shooting" enough for this box. I already don't like that this is shooting-only.
Here's a theory - the Toaplan logo is comprised of 14 squares/semi-square shapes. In this collection are 14 vertical/horizontal shooting games, by which logic the committee compiling the album might have thought - "OutZone and Fixeight while good are not shooting games in the same sense the other 14 are, they are more akin to run and gun games."

OutZone has some good tracks and I too would've liked to have it here but honestly, there's nothing wrong with this set and I believe they as the authorities made the right decision. Who knows, perhaps SuperSweep will make another release with everything else from Toaplan including the two above and things such as Dash Yarou, Snow Bros, and Knuckle Bash. I have my doubts something like this will ever be released again but still, there's always a chance.

I got the pre-lease from M3. It's a fantastic set and if you're a fan of Toaplan you own this. 5 music cds, 1 data cd and a super-play dvd, you cannot go wrong. The track length is quite satisfactory and the quality of the audio and the packaging is top notch. Listening to all the songs from these great games take me back so I cannot find any issue with buying this (pardon the fact the endaka is happening right now, making it a little more expensive).

Last edited by fahlim003; Nov 12, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:56 AM

I can't believe they didn't catch the opportunity to add Yuzo Koshiro's tunes for Slap Fight MD.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The Genesis version of Slap Fight wasn't developed by Toaplan, so maybe that's why? Or maybe it's just because they were sticking to the original arcade games (although this is a unique case, as far as the ports' soundtracks go).
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
The Genesis version of Slap Fight wasn't developed by Toaplan, so maybe that's why? Or maybe it's just because they were sticking to the original arcade games (although this is a unique case, as far as the ports' soundtracks go).
This is a good point as this collection is also lacking the arranged soundtrack of Batsugun found on the Sega Saturn conversion. It's likely they wanted to stick to arcade only.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:38 AM

concerning recent edits: mostly because truxton ii is there while same! same! same! is. and since "us names" were specifically mentioned, slap fight should be alcon. anyway the notes and such were inconsistent, so i took this opportunity to switch back to the japanese names yet again. i await complaints and that stupid "HI SHO ZAME" flyer.

we really shouldn't worship localizations like this. this particular album is made for japan and japanese products, there is no reason people should "understand" anything else; you would never mention super donkey kong on those donkey kong country albums, because that's just as silly. there's nothing wrong with saying "this game is also known as <x>", but things like that should be kept to the product page, because they typically have nothing to do with the album. if people are really that confused, they will google. you guys want to get everything else right, why not this?

grind stormer is a bit strange... yes, grind stormer was released everywhere else, and v v was released in japan, but grind stormer was first. it IS a different game, enough so that the port allows you to play a "grind stormer" and a "v v". the original arcade version of v v also has grind stormer in the form of a code, though it's called "v v bomber ver.". aside from all this, i believe grind stormer is a prototype that was released anyway, and v v is its black label.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
concerning recent edits: mostly because truxton ii is there while same! same! same! is. and since "us names" were specifically mentioned, slap fight should be alcon. anyway the notes and such were inconsistent, so i took this opportunity to switch back to the japanese names yet again. i await complaints and that stupid "HI SHO ZAME" flyer.
It's actually not a matter of consistency, right? Part of this would be my fault as I didn't add Western titles to every games included here, but one could have just added what were missing, like "Alcon (Slap Fight)". So it's more like a matter of purism where anything redundant and unofficial (to purists) shouldn't exist.

Plus, if consistency matters, I'm afraid you should have to remove EVERY Western name that has been submitted to VGMdb for the past 5 years or so, unless there is a reason to regard this particular entry as an exception.

Quote:
we really shouldn't worship localizations like this. this particular album is made for japan and japanese products, there is no reason people should "understand" anything else; you would never mention super donkey kong on those donkey kong country albums, because that's just as silly. there's nothing wrong with saying "this game is also known as <x>", but things like that should be kept to the product page, because they typically have nothing to do with the album. if people are really that confused, they will google. you guys want to get everything else right, why not this?
The problem is, not everybody here is as smart and inquisitive as you'd expect. Your Grind Grind Stormer/V-V story reaffirms the point; I googled about it for a while, but never figured it out. It's a tad hard to count on an average user to know how a game is called at the other side of the planet, and rather than keeping such info one more click away from the album page, we have an alternative title and some discretionary notes which isn't nesscessy limited to pure transcriptions of booklets. Frankly, I don't see how it hurts to keep Western names in album pages, and I actually think, outside of VGMdb, it rather be preferred to refer to albums with Western names.

As for Grind Stormer/V-V, are both soundtracks identical? If not, we'd definitely not keep Grind Stormer.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If Grind Stormer and V-V aren't the same games with the same music, then we need separate product pages for them.

For the game field, we've been using as our standard
Quote:
Western Localized Name (Japanese Name)
since the early days of the site, mostly for searchability. It becomes less crucial as we expand the product section, but it is still desirable for compound searches, so we should stick with it.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
If Grind Stormer and V-V aren't the same games with the same music, then we need separate product pages for them.
They are basically the same game. Grind Stormer uses a different power up system than V-V, but the music is the same.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
It's actually not a matter of consistency, right? Part of this would be my fault as I didn't add Western titles to every games included here, but one could have just added what were missing, like "Alcon (Slap Fight)". So it's more like a matter of purism where anything redundant and unofficial (to purists) shouldn't exist.
There isn't really a choice; "purism" is the whole point.

Quote:
Plus, if consistency matters, I'm afraid you should have to remove EVERY Western name that has been submitted to VGMdb for the past 5 years or so, unless there is a reason to regard this particular entry as an exception.
Which is a fantastic idea and something I completely support.

Quote:
Frankly, I don't see how it hurts to keep Western names in album pages, and I actually think, outside of VGMdb, it rather be preferred to refer to albums with Western names.
This isn't a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
They're literally as different as Dodonpachi Daioujou and Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label. But the issue is that the video game release of Grind Stormer has nothing to do with this album... actually, the video game release of V V doesn't either.

Last edited by Despatche; Aug 17, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:05 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Scans are up. I labeled those I could make out what exactly they are, from what little I see on the contents photo and left two of them untitled. I do see one of the scans on the contents photo, but I have no idea how to label it anyway, and I also don't know what part of the box the other scan comes from... I hope someone can figure it out and label those two scans properly.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 06:31 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Complex package it is!
Here are a few images to see the box:

Best way to name the package is to use the term "Digipack".
The current tray scans are not really trays but the exterior side of the digipack.
One of the untitled picture is more like a sleeve and it is holding disc 6.
Old May 31, 2021, 08:20 PM

This shows a 2nd dvd that i've never seen. some kind of promo?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f421878698
Old May 31, 2021, 08:26 PM
Trusted Editor

My guess is it's a bonus DVD-R since it has the INH & Mikado logo. These are common with some releases (though not from Supersweep).

Example: https://vgmdb.net/album/111156
Old May 31, 2021, 10:10 PM
VGMdb Administrator

This album was presold at an event at Mikado, possibly could've been available there (though I couldn't confirm). It looks like it's a Slap Fight superplay or something
Old Aug 3, 2023, 05:48 PM

What's track 12-2?
CAPTAIN LANCER (Stage 1) Type-B
The initial drums are a bit different, that's it? Unused?