VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 25, 2009, 04:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

It should be clear but just a reminder (since this album is going to get many views I guess).
While I tried my best to use the official names where available, some may not be correct and should be rechecked when the US version is out. Not too sure about 3-01 btw.

I went for a more literal translation in 下界/pulse or 使命/focus though, to keep the nuance.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think 父ちゃん奮闘だぁ! is a quote from the game (it was in the demo, if I remember well), Sazh refers to himself as 父ちゃん when he speaks to his chocobo. It was something like "Daddy has to fight!", although we might have to wait until the US version to check the actual quote.

Otherwise, I would actually use "Pulse" instead of "World Below", since they read 下界 as "Pulse" in Japanese... Besides, in one of the English trailers, the characters say "Pulse's fal'Cie" (下界のファルシ).

Great work on the translation, anyway!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks, it did seem like a quote a character would say to himself, but I wasn't too sure.

As for Pulse, if that's how they say it in the game I guess it's ok to use that instead. Since other tracks that do use Pulse/パルス instead of 下界 I thought I'd keep the original meaning, but it doesn't matter much anyway.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 08:20 AM

I can't wait for this to come out, can never have enough Hamauzu.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:18 AM

In case you don't know, the official English location names are displayed when we enter each area for the first time. I could check them because I basically didn't overwrite the save data, but unfortunately I just sold my copy (to the game's credit, it was actually an excellent game but I needed money) so I check niconico.

ビルジ湖 is Lake Bilge.
ガプラ樹林 is The Gapra Whitewood.
アルカキルティ大平原 is The Archylte Steppe.

Hanged Edge, Vile Peaks and Sunleth Waterscape are correct, give or take 'The'. I'll seek for the English equivalents of ヤシャス山, スーリヤ湖 and テージンタワー later. Also, please don't forget to update the Limited Edition entry
Old Dec 27, 2009, 01:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks, I thought about that (wasn't FF12 similar?) but couldn't find all the English names. It's hard to find info without spoiling myself too much, hehe.
Btw, do you know it it's "Gran Pulse" or "Grand Pulse"?

As for the limited edition, I was waiting for the drama disc to be posted before adding the translation tho.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor

ヤシャス山 is Mount Yaschas (it's on the official website), and it's "Gran Pulse". I've also noticed there is at least another quote from the game: disc 3 track 4 is in the TGS trailer, and the English version is "This is your home" (by the way, the Japanese was incorrect for this track, so I changed it).

As for the Pulse/下界 case, I guess it's impossible to transfer the subtlety from Japanese to English, and as far as I know the English version uses Pulse, very simply. I remember seeing 理想郷 with the reading of Cocoon in one Japanese magazine, but apparently it's not used in the soundtrack (or even in the game).
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
As for the limited edition, I was waiting for the drama disc to be posted before adding the translation tho.
No problem. I thought that would be the case, but once the translation was fixed to an extent, we could use it in other entries (two Kimi ga iru kara albums included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
I've also noticed there is at least another quote from the game: disc 3 track 4 is in the TGS trailer, and the English version is "This is your home" (by the way, the Japanese was incorrect for this track, so I changed it).
Besides that, I suspected "ドレッドンート大爆進!", "ファンブラ・ノヴァ・クリスタリス" and "悲深き希望" (wasn't it supposed to be 慈悲深き or something?) were transcriptional errors, yet it might be correct or official typos since I wasn't sure where the current tracklist came from.

"逃げてもいいの" is also a game quote. I don't know whether this sequence was already released in the US version trailers or not, but it could be.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:32 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Hm, since the tracklist came out quite early, I would not surprised if they are a lot of typoes or errors. It happened in the past with the Kingdom Hearts complete box, where "Fate of the Unknown" was written "Fate of Not Known", among other mistakes.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 03:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I believe the tracklist comes from flash code left in the OST site, but no doubt the errors are transcriptional. 4-17 was (Square will never ever write "Final Fantasy" in lowercase :P), 4-13 could be wrong too (終篶>終焉), and so on. Once they officially post the whole thing I'll revise it.
Also, 1-03 could be "Rebellion Against Fate", context missing and all that.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:13 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

I'm definitely looking forward to this album! I haven't been looking into any news about the game lately but I so happened to come upon this page and now I can't wait for the soundtrack to come out.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 07:14 AM

Well, at last I notice handful track names come from the subtitles of each chapter, by the way (1-04, 1-08, 2-19, 2-20, 4-09, 4-10, 4-11, 4-12, 4-15 and more) so I think we won't get a definitive translation until this March. Some of the official English location names don't literally correspond with the original Japanese ("遺棄領域ヴァイルピークス" and "歓楽都市ノーチラス" are called The Vile Peaks - Cocoon Deadlands and Nautilus - Maritime Resort, respectively). I think similar things will happen on these subtitles, and when it's too different I don't know which we should go with.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

There is an official tracklist here: http://www.eidoshop.fr/games/objets-...or-limitee.htm
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:31 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
..."Saber's Edge"? -_-
I assume it's the way Lightning's first weapon is called in the EU (or US) version, but who knows.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Aren't some names different from the names already in English in the JP ver? weird...

Anyway I added it just in case.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:20 PM
Trusted Editor

Where does those extra arranger credits come from?

Also, that 'official' eidos translation, ugh.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Where does those extra arranger credits come from?
The staff credit (sorry I don't have a good host to upload a cap).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 無題.JPG (12.3 KB, 51 views)
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:19 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
The staff credit (sorry I don't have a good host to upload a cap).
Ah, good to know that. Now, any idea who sings on Chocobos of Cocoon - Chasing Dreams.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Ah, good to know that. Now, any idea who sings on Chocobos of Cocoon - Chasing Dreams.
The booklet says Frances Maya.

EDIT: I transcribed the booklet faithfully, but I know it looks so messy somebody wants to organize it. Also, we may eventually add Uematsu as the composer of Chocobo, and some performer breakdowns even if it's incomplete...

Last edited by Cedille; Jan 26, 2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:05 AM

So...yeah...totally expected Snow's Theme to be arranged by Yamazaki...but it's all Hamauzu...mind blown.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:02 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 06:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Anyone know if the digital music in the game is prerecorded or sequenced? It sounds so wonderful and natural.
If reports of the interviews in the Ultimania guides are true, then all of the soundtrack is streamed for the first time in the series.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:10 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
It sounds so wonderful and natural.
I completly agree, very organic scoring - I really like it.

Maybe one of the best soundtracks for a Final Fantasy game, also a very different approach compared to the last scores like FFXII.
I was always a big fan of Hamauzu's contributions to the FFX soundtrack and his work here takes this to a new level

EDIT: And like a lot of people already found out (*g*) - it's definitely no Uematsu-copy (apart from the Chocobo theme). I actually appreciated it very much that Hamauzu left most of the old/traditional FF themes out and created an entire new sound - a very fresh one!

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Feb 12, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
I completly agree, very organic scoring - I really like it.
Although I think the orchestral part of the soundtrack is fantastic, what impresses me the most is the "meditative" part -- pieces that serve as background music for the different settings of the game. The use of voices is a tremendous improvement, even if the idea to use them seems so simple now.

Hamauzu's music and the art direction definitely complement each other, even the lyrics are meaningful in some places. I am rarely moved simply by the graphics of a game, or maybe should I say by the ambiance? Anyway, it happened in FFXIII. Oerba is really an incredible place, and the impact it has on the player would have never been the same without "Dust to Dust" playing in the background -- even during battles! It just feels like... nostalgia, with a little bit of determination... Also, many thanks to Mitsuto Suzuki for the ethereal arrangements.

Oh god, what an incredible visual and musical experience this game offers.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 03:56 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
Oh god, what an incredible visual and musical experience this game offers.
Taking into consideration that I just recently finished Final Fantasy X (yes, you're reading correctly - that one that was released 2001 in Japan) I'm going to comment on that in a few years
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Taking into consideration that I just recently finished Final Fantasy X (yes, you're reading correctly - that one that was released 2001 in Japan) I'm going to comment on that in a few years
OK, let's talk about this in 2019!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:41 AM

Is anyone else as bothered by the shortened "Flash" as I am? The development section being cut in half completely distorts the proportions of this otherwise perfect battle theme. What gives, Square?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Is anyone else as bothered by the shortened "Flash" as I am? The development section being cut in half completely distorts the proportions of this otherwise perfect battle theme. What gives, Square?
Well, I guess it was Hamauzu's decision and he thought it'd be better to cut even more as well as the once considered B-section. I personally think it's right, and the most battles in the playable demo version ended before the violin melody came in, and since the omitted part is wonderfully incorporated in the opening movie ("Defiers of Fate") with a real orchestra, it's tiring to hear essentially the same part with the lifeless synth. Much as I like this track, I'd rather complain with the overall structure which I feel is a bit awkward. It sounds as if he laboriously yielded the wonderful violin melody but came up with the rest in 5 minutes or borrowed it from somewhere. I especially don't like the way it loops with the abrupt (remote?) key change.

More than that, I'm really bothered by the noise in "Dust to Dust" after 2:20 or so. It's otherwise the absolute best track of this score.

Last edited by Cedille; Mar 28, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Just ordered the CD... can you elaborate on what you're saying here? Are the tracks on the CD shortened from what is heard in-game? Thanks.