VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements > Submission Guideline Restructuring
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I have a new proposal, which I reworked to satisfy a new requirement that we cannot split up the current top-level categories (like was proposed with Peformers -> Vocalists & Instrumentalists) because it would take years to edit that change into all of our albums. Note that the wording isn't final, or even parallel yet.
  • Composer
    • BGM Composer
    • Song Composer (OP/ED)
  • Arranger
    • Music Arrangement
    • Strings Arrangement
    • Orchestral Arrangement
    • Vocal Arrangement
    • Chorus Arrangement
    • Remixing
  • Performer
    • Vocal
    • Dramatic
    • Self
    • Instrumental
      • Additional freetext field for instrument?
  • Lyricist
    • Lyrics
    • Translation
  • Technical
    • Mastering Engineer
    • Mixing Engineer
    • Recording Engineer
    • Audio Programming
    • Snythesizer Programming
    • SFX Artist
  • Management
    • Producer
    • Conductor
    • Designer/Artist

As before, we are qualifying the existing album-artist links with an additional more detailed field. Instrumentalists will require box for typing the instrument. We could make this a list, but there are a lot of instruments, so it might be easier to type than to find them in a list.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
VGMdb Staff

More choices for arranging are definitely needed. Translation role for lyrics is also great addition.
I'm personally against freetext field for specifying instruments if it has to be done one by one, here's what I mean - here we have some 20 or so violin players. It would be... not convenient if we have to type 20 times (even just copy & pasting it, that's way more realistic) for every instrumentalist. And there are other instrument groups. It will be more tolerable if we can tick a checkbox next to the artist (still ticking it 20 times xD) and enter the name of the instrument in freetext field only once and do some sort of apply button that will of course fill out other 19 fields with the same instrument.
Even so, just having the 'Instrumentalist' would be fine, without freetext field. That's not problem when there's just a few instrumentalists, but when something like Call of Duty comes, happy times....... We still have notes: type "violin" - and 20 names after. Still beats freteext But that's only a personal opinion.
What happens if we, with the information available, can't specify the roles any further? To stay with the orchestra as an example, sometimes all orchestra players are credited just as 'musicians', so we don't know what instrument they played (except few solo instrumentalists). Can we leave them only as instrumentalists?

Last edited by Efendija; Aug 11, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:20 PM

Performer > Instrumental should pull the list from the artist's profile (where it makes the most sense) instead being offered as a free text field in every single work.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That's an interesting idea. We could specify the instruments they play in the artist profile, and then use the short list while linking albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
What happens if we, with the information available, can't specify the roles any further? To stay with the orchestra as an example, sometimes all orchestra players are credited just as 'musicians', so we don't know what instrument they played (except few solo instrumentalists). Can we leave them only as instrumentalists?
We will always be able to choose "performer" with no additional qualification, just like now.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:35 PM
VGMdb Staff

^ It's all good then
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:59 AM
VGMdb Staff

I agree that there should be more for arrangement. Or just a freetext field for arrangement. Because some that I've seen aren't listed above, like Horns Arrangement.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:09 AM
VGMdb Staff

^ That sounds right, in fact, a freetext field could be a nice addition to almost all main roles because there's always a possibility a certain (rare) sub-role could be forgotten.

So it would be like: main roles -> sub-roles menu + freetext field for any sub-role which isn't in the menu (from the same category of course - let's just assume strings arr./chorus arr./remixers etc get added in the menu as choices, but horns arr. doesn't, so to credit that arrangement, one would use arrangers freetext field to specify the role, and use menu choices for other arrangers).

Last edited by Efendija; Aug 15, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:52 AM
VGMdb Staff

Any progress on this? Figure I should ask since it's been a month since the last post.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I haven't implemented anything yet. I am not sure that what I proposed has been vetted enough, and really probably ought to see what Blah thinks about it.

I'm going to be out of town for the next few days, but I could start working on some of this after I get back.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:32 AM
VGMdb Staff

I just want to add that lyrics field should become visible in album view mode, like this:

Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I haven't implemented anything yet. I am not sure that what I proposed has been vetted enough, and really probably ought to see what Blah thinks about it.

I'm going to be out of town for the next few days, but I could start working on some of this after I get back.
Alright. I guess we'll just wait until you're back to discuss if any more changes need to be made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
I just want to add that lyrics field should become visible in album view mode.
Agree about this one. It's never really made sense to not have it visible. After all, there's a very large amount of vocal albums in the database.

At the very least it should be enabled for albums with the vocal classification. The only problem is that there's a bunch of albums (mostly soundtracks) that don't have the vocal classification simply because they only have 1 or 2 vocal tracks.