VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:32 AM

Default Does format matter to you?

I was just wondering how everyone felt about the format the music is on. I personally wouldn't prefer to pay for an mp3 because it doesn't have any physical appeal, not to mention sound quality. I think it's pretty cool when they put VGM on vinyl personally, but am perfectly happy with a CD.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:33 AM

I don't care in which format music comes, I'm already very happy that they bother to release something "officially". Now that I think about it, the audio data stored on the game-discs is lossy sourced in most cases... Hurrayh.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Jun 13, 2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:48 PM

----------

Last edited by Calatia; Aug 8, 2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:43 AM

I prefer CDs due to the lack of DRM and the ability to re-rip them as my HD space increases, but if it's mp3 or nothing then I'll be grateful for the company taking the time to put it up.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:56 PM

----------

Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIRockin View Post
I was just wondering how everyone felt about the format the music is on.
I don't and won't pay for a lossy format. I am unhappy with purely digital formats, too - owning the physical representation is important for me.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:01 AM

----------

Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:39 AM
Trusted Editor

I prefer Vinyl Too bad almost none of the recent releases get such a great format.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:53 AM

I've always preferred CD releases over anything else. While I agree that I'd prefer a digital release to no release at all, I would still rather see a small print run of CDs instead. I hate being forced to buy audio files.. there's no resale value and you have nothing physical to show for the money you spent. The occasional vinyl is cool too but they should be limited and reserved for special situations only, and obviously releases from the 80s / early 90s are cool. Always meant to pick up some of those early Sega albums on vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatia View Post
To me, CDs are merely a container for lossless audio files. The instant I have a disc image of that CD on my computer, I'll sell it. I just don't see the point in having something sit on a shelf that I'm never going to open again since I have the music on my computer. My CD collection is a folder with hundreds of disc images in it, not a stack of jewel cases and compact discs. Not only does this result in far less clutter, but I can use the profits I make from selling CDs, to buy more CDs.
Remind me to never sell anything to you again.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
I've always preferred CD releases over anything else. While I agree that I'd prefer a digital release to no release at all, I would still rather see a small print run of CDs instead. I hate being forced to buy audio files.. there's no resale value and you have nothing physical to show for the money you spent. The occasional vinyl is cool too but they should be limited and reserved for special situations only, and obviously releases from the 80s / early 90s are cool. Always meant to pick up some of those early Sega albums on vinyl.
I second what Mike said.

I also put a strong emphasis on high-quality packaging and nice presentation. Good example is the FFXIII Limited Ed. (or SQEX releases in general), where you have this nice and sturdy box, the big booklet showing nice illustrations but also all the music credits.
Also most discs printed in Japan are of high-quality.

A counter-example are some western releases (especially Sumthing Else records) where you don't want to remove the discs from the day, afraid that both disc and tray might break. You know what I mean, this quick and dirty feeling, where everything has to as cheap as it can be.
I also wasn't happy about Dog Ear Records decision to go for lower print quality. The Xenoblade OST is such a nice album, but the discs are thin like paper and the case feels really cheap.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:50 AM

----------

Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:07 PM

Cds and vinyl are necessary for me. MP3's can't replace the physical action of putting on a record at a party or popping a cd into your car's stereo.

There also is a nifty new format called the playbutton.
"It shows that you've purchased the music, so it shows your support for the band."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11948391
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:22 AM

----------

Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:33 AM

I'm glad I didn't end up the other way. The history of my whole attitude towards format was radically changed by two events: the removal of the tape adaptor in getting a new car (no more mp3 player to tape adaptor) and the fact that someone told me about a record label that had really good music--music that was vinyl only.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:31 PM

they could release lossless on locked usb key instead of using cds or release lossless digitally (could be a good alternative to physical support but it could have some issues)

Last edited by Phonograph; Jul 18, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatia View Post
Why? I enjoy lossless quality music, I just don't like the clutter of physical CDs.

In fact you should sell to me because it's one more person that can enjoy the music, and then it will end up back in the marketplace for someone else to enjoy too.
Um....you realize you're promoting piracy with that comment?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
I prefer CDs due to the lack of DRM and the ability to re-rip them as my HD space increases, but if it's mp3 or nothing then I'll be grateful for the company taking the time to put it up.

What places still sell DRM'd music these days?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:20 PM

----------

Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:33 PM

I would gladly pay for FLAC or other lossless versions of music, but I'd sooner go without than actually pay for mp3's. They are usually a last resort.

Vinyl is pretty much as good as you can get, but almost no VGM is released on vinyl, so...moot point. CD's are the way to go, but I like the flexibility of FLAC (I like to trim my albums a lot, especially RPG soundtracks, plus I can Wavgain). CD's = FLAC + pretty shelf ornaments.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 08:49 PM

i definitely like cd's because of the packaging and ability to physically own what you buy. any format is ok to me as long as it's a hard copy.