VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:17 AM

Default Dear God, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze...

If there isn't a soundtrack release of this game I will murder people at Nintendo. It is one of the best soundtracks I've heard in some time. Anyone else agree?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:59 PM
Trusted Editor

haha, the only soundtracks Nintendo releases anymore are Mario guitar arrange albums and Kirby sound selections. (exaggerating here but it's true :P)

also yes, very good soundtrack. Wise should continue to do more new stuff.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 07:18 AM

Oh god, I totally agree! I am loving the soundtrack as well. We actually interviewed Dave for our podcast a couple months back, and got to talk to him about his work on DKC:TF. It's so great to hear him back. Most of it is happy-go-lucky fun bluesy stuff, but I really am digging the occassional electronic, vibey throwbacks to the original series!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 07:36 AM

Do we know how much David Wise did? I was under the impression Kenji Yamamoto was the main composer and Wise just contributed some stuff.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
Do we know how much David Wise did? I was under the impression Kenji Yamamoto was the main composer and Wise just contributed some stuff.
We don't know specifics quite yet, but from our interview with him, Dave was definitely the primary composer. Kenji and his whole team definitely helped with arranging and production, and obviously some composing, but Dave composed the majority. And if you listen, it is pretty evident in so many of the tracks that it is a Wise composition. The distinctly western style of the blues influence, and the unmistakable melodic style that he has, which is so very different from Yamamoto. But yeah, it was definitely a team effort!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:36 PM

Figured I'd look at the credits on YouTube to see what they had to say. Indeed, David Wise is the only person credited under "Music" and then a good deal later Kenji Yamamoto is credited as "Music Supervisor" so I suppose that also answers the question pretty well. I didn't see anyone else credited for any music role. So my mistake! I had also thought it was too good to be true that Wise would return in such a full capacity (especially given my distaste for Yamamoto) and figured it'd be another case like Xenoblade where Mitsuda and Shimomura were the only ones publicized before it was released.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
I didn't see anyone else credited for any music role.
Immediately after Kenji Yamamoto is a credit for "music/voice recording" for Daisuke Matsuoka, Minako Hamano, Shinji Ushiroda, and Riyu Tamura.

The credit is kind of ambiguous but I think in context probably means "music, and also voice recording," not "recording of both music and voices." Everyone but Tamura worked on DKCR's music too, and Hamano & Ushiroda are regular Nintendo composition staff.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 07:34 PM

Ah, I interpreted it the second way so I didn't even look at all the names. If I'd seen Hamano I might have given it a second thought. I'm just tripping at every step today! This is a particularly weird set of credits then. There's a long separation between Wise and the others and that ambiguous title.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 09:46 PM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:34 AM.