VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:11 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Default Price for enclosed albums ?

This question could figure on the new submission guidelines, but i am posting it here for the moment.

What is the guideline for setting a price to enclusure ? (thus will set a "package price")
If anyone set a price for an enclosed item, it will display a price for the whole package (game, items.. etc), while if you do not set a price at all it display "not for sale".

The question i want to discuss is.. is it really necessary to set a price for enclosed items? (ex: collector's edition)

I see 2 problems if you set a price:
- The price is different regarding the region of the world (US, Europe, UK, others..)
- The price can vary with time (ex: a game was sold at 70$ and then was sold at 50$ after a few weeks)

So i think this is a feature that should be removed, you normally can't buy bonus items separatelly anyway so the price of the package is not really interesting anyway.
Enclosed items should always be "Not For Sale".

What do you guys think about it?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:53 AM

It also bugs me when an album is bundled with multi-platform games or both regular and limited editions, as is often the way with Hentai/dating sims. I always go with whichever is cheaper, but a multiple price tag will be an ultimate solution. Otherwise, I'd personally want to know how much it costs overall to buy a bundle-in soundtrack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
- The price can vary with time (ex: a game was sold at 70$ and then was sold at 50$ after a few weeks)
Couldn't technically the same thing happen on soundtracks? If not as frequently...
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, prices are not always constant, but I think we advise using the original manufacturer's suggested price, and we should probably do that with the enclosures too.

I agree that is it somewhat arbitrary that some enclosures are priced by the product in which they were enclosed, while others are "not for sale". I can see that there is some rationale for getting rid of the "package price" altogether.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:43 AM
Trusted Editor

I don't wanna start a new thread for this, it's just a simple question: The orientation for the price is the release price without tax, right? As I've seen several albums, which add the tax (or leave 'em out?) to the price tag:

http://vgmdb.net/album/439
http://vgmdb.net/album/2303
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:22 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
I don't wanna start a new thread for this, it's just a simple question: The orientation for the price is the release price without tax, right? As I've seen several albums, which add the tax (or leave 'em out?) to the price tag:

http://vgmdb.net/album/439
http://vgmdb.net/album/2303
We always want to use the 'with tax' price, as that's the price you actually pay. Sometimes the price on older entries can be wrong because the album was added before there were any scans or it was otherwise just based on incorrect information.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:45 AM

If anyone wants a bundled soundtrack they'd at least know the price and since it's always classified as "enclosure", they'd know they'd get more than just a soundtrack album (the contents are usually listed in the notes section). Price can be updated, but it's usually the initial release price that's listed on albums too.

Cedille had raised the point i was about to: album, game, and bundle prices usually vary by region and change over time. So we either list the lowest of the initial prices, or the current lowest, or have child albums for each region with their own prices; or add a multi-price feature, which Cedille also mentioned. The difference between multi-priced bundles and multi-priced albums is that bundles (usually?) don't have catalog numbers, so a difference in price alone might not be enough reason to create child albums.

I think some valid information is better than none (or incorrect info because of the current system's limitations).

Last edited by DanteLectro; May 22, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 04:01 AM

not sure I've already posted something like that somewhere (either new or recap)

it's quite dumb to put "not for sale" for an enclosed album which is "for sale"
when "enclosure" is selected and there is no price filled in, there should be a "Multiple Prices" showed or something instead of that nonsensical "not for sale"
Old Dec 29, 2017, 02:58 AM
Trusted Editor

Generally being able to set multiple prices for albums would be a nice feature.
When albums are available as an enclosure to a game, within a set of items or at an event (e.g. Comiket) but go for sale later at retail price it would be inaccurate to add a child album just for this occasion. To make things more complicated, sometimes differently priced limited editions include the same item, too - and event prices are lacking VAT.