VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should VGMdb add an OPTIONAL "how much you paid" field in our collection lists?
Yes - This would provide both buyers and sellers with useful information 11 64.71%
No 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:14 PM

Heyho.
If we would set up a "paid price" field, which I think is a neat idea, we have to differentiate between "used" and "new" copies as well as between "realistic" and "lucky" prices,
because getting a 60€ soundtrack off Ebay for 5€, just because no one is bidding with you, is nice and all, but not THAT useful to others.

Maybe we use a chart to show price development over the years? And one to illustrate how likely it is to get lucky in an auction...
What I think would be an interesting info is why a price developed itself this way, what circumstances led to a "rare" soundtrack with a high price tag, if there are special reasons, not the obvious ones like just greed or limited numbers.

In general, as I think the info could be quite useful to unaware starters and are a fan of the idea, the implementation is still open for discussion as it not seems to be an easy task.

Midoryu
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:21 AM
Trusted Editor

That is a terrible idea.

The absolute last thing this database needs is an arbitrary and speculative price field. The only way it would work is if you could crawl other third party sites for the data and there is absolutely no way to link meta data between third party sites and this database without a significant amount of individual oversight.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
That is a terrible idea.

The absolute last thing this database needs is an arbitrary and speculative price field. The only way it would work is if you could crawl other third party sites for the data and there is absolutely no way to link meta data between third party sites and this database without a significant amount of individual oversight.

Absolutely agree. I will sell for how much I think a soundtrack is worth, if people don't like it then they simply don't buy it or they try to negotiate a better price. Many people on this forum seem to be very naive as to how the world works. Everything depends on circumstance and desires. If people are worried about getting ripped off, then they should research a little harder. Most people are genuine and fair, I can recall only one particular seller that has bent me over a table and given me the big D.