VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 1, 2011, 01:12 PM

it appears Mr. Sakai is the sole composer for Kirby Mass Attack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgjpdCbmunY

figures, the one song i heard from the game really reminded me of Mother 3... great to see new music from him.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 01:30 PM

Cool. I'm excited for the new Wii Kirby game. I think I heard some solid Ishikawa in one of the montage trailers.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 08:21 AM
VGMdb Staff

The Kirby 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert premiered today. Shogo Sakai orchestrated all the music and guest conducted the Air Ride Medley. Megumi Ohara arranged the Kirby & The Amazing Mirror / Squeak Squad Medley.

Here is the full report by Famitsu: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201704/18131246.html

Japanese Program
Spoiler:
■第一部
1. 星のカービィ25周年 グランドオープニング
  タイトル、グリーングリーンズ(『星のカービィ』より)

2. 星のカービィ 夢の泉の物語メドレー
  LEVEL8の最初、雲の面、海中の面、エンディング・デモ

3. デデデ大王&メタナイト・タッグメドレー
  Mt. DeDeDe(『星のカービィ』より)、マスクド・デデデのテーマ(『星のカービィ ウルトラスーパーデラックス』より)、戦艦ハルバード:甲板、戦艦ハルバード:艦内、友と夕陽と…(『星の カービィ スーパーデラックス』より)

4. 星のカービィ2なかまメドレー
  リックのテーマ、カインのテーマ、クーのテーマ

5. 星のカービィ3&64メドレー
  海ステージ、砂漠ステージ(『星のカービィ3』より)、ポップスター、リップルスター:ステージセレクト、 VS. ゼロ・ツー(『星のカービィ64』より)

6. 星のカービィ スーパーデラックスメドレー
  グランドオープニング、激突!グルメレース、水晶の畑エリア、メタナイトの逆襲:戦艦マップ、VS. マルク、カービィ凱旋

■第二部
1. カービィのエアライドメドレー
  エアライド:プランテス、エアライド:マグヒート、伝説のエアライドマシン

2. 星のカービィ 鏡の大迷宮&参上!ドロッチェ団メドレー
  森・自然エリア、宇宙エリア(『星のカービィ 鏡の大迷宮』より)、プリズムプレインズ、ドロッチェ団のテーマ(『星のカービィ 参上ドロッチェ団』より)

3. ボールになったカービィメドレー
  ウィスピーウッズランド(『カービィのピンボール』より)、コース8:雪ステージ(『カービィボウル』より )、ドロシア ソーサレス(『タッチ!カービィ』より)、天かける虹(『タッチ!カービィ スーパーレインボー』より)

4. 星のカービィ トリプルデラックスメドレー
  浮遊大陸の花畑、月影の帝都セクトラトア、あやつりの魔術師タランザ、狂花水月

5. 星のカービィ ロボボプラネットメドレー
  桃球発進!ロボボアーマー、VS. スタードリーム、ココロプラネット

6. 星のカービィ Wiiメドレー
  ぼうけんのはじまり、スカイタワー、デンジャラスディナー、CROWNED、Return to Dreamland

■アンコール
昼: あしたはあしたのかぜがふく
夜: 銀河にねがいを スタッフロール

English Program
Quote:
Part 1
Kirby 25th Anniversary Grand Opening
Kirby's Adventure Medley
King Dedede & Meta Knight Tag Medley
Kirby's Dream Land 2 Friends Medley
Kirby's Dream Land 3 & Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards Medley
Kirby Super Star Medley

Part 2
Kirby Air Ride Medley
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror & Squeak Squad Medley
Kirby Ball Medley
Kirby Triple Deluxe Medley
Kirby Planet Robobot Medley
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Medley

Encore
1st Concert (Day) - Tomorrow is a New Day
2nd Concert (Night) - Milky Way Wishes
Really hope they release an album!

Last edited by cal; Jul 25, 2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 08:24 AM
VGMdb Staff

Shogo Sakai conducting the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra: https://vimeo.com/226941770 (password: kirby)

This was from today's live broadcast of the concert.

Last edited by cal; Jul 25, 2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 01:58 PM

This apparently has gone unnoticed by many, but recently Sakai composed all the music of Part Time UFO (HAL's first mobile game).
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:48 AM

I'm starting to think Sakai was more involved with Squeak Squad than people give him credit. "Unknown 2" clearly sounds like his style, but it seems odd to me that he'd only contribute a single track.

After re-listening to the soundtrack, I'm beginning to suspect that "The Hero of Dreamland" is his work. It reminds me of his work on The Glory of Heracles, and the opening notes were re-purposed as a jingle in Mass Attack, which Sakai was the sole composer for.

I think he may have also written "The Final Stretch," and by extension, "Final Battle." The percussion starting at 0:25 in the former song sounds very Sakai to me.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Blob; Oct 2, 2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Minor edits for clarity
Old May 1, 2020, 11:09 PM

Agreed. I'd also pin Vocal Volcano and Halberd on him along with the above tracks. For Vocal Volcano, it must be him - the resemblance to his Air Ride contributions is striking. As for Halberd, I'm assuming it's pretty much accepted that he wrote 'Legendary Air Ride Machine' which is the main remix of this medley.

Unfortunately Shogo Sakai has had a history of not being credited for his work, both at Data East and HAL. I'm guessing he had a lot more involvement in Brawl than he gets credit for, most of the menu and Subspace Emissary themes sound very reminiscent of Mother 3 and his Glory of Heracles 4 work.
Old May 2, 2020, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatotunes View Post
Agreed. I'd also pin Vocal Volcano and Halberd on him along with the above tracks. For Vocal Volcano, it must be him - the resemblance to his Air Ride contributions is striking. As for Halberd, I'm assuming it's pretty much accepted that he wrote 'Legendary Air Ride Machine' which is the main remix of this medley.
Agreed. I was initially unsure about Vocal Volcano since I tend to associate that sort of "sugary" lead synth more with Ishikawa than Sakai, but listening to it again, I'm leaning towards it being another Sakai piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatotunes View Post
Unfortunately Shogo Sakai has had a history of not being credited for his work, both at Data East and HAL. I'm guessing he had a lot more involvement in Brawl than he gets credit for, most of the menu and Subspace Emissary themes sound very reminiscent of Mother 3 and his Glory of Heracles 4 work.
It's honestly kind of a miracle we have actual composer credits for Glory of Heracles. As for Brawl, it's confirmed he was the arranger of the main theme, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was responsible for at least one other variation on the theme. I've always thought Step: The Plain from Subspace sounded a lot like Sky Sands from Air Ride. Very similar structure and instrumentation.

Last edited by Blob; May 2, 2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old May 2, 2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob View Post
It's honestly kind of a miracle we have actual composer credits for Glory of Heracles. As for Brawl, it's confirmed he was the arranger of the main theme, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was responsible for at least one other variation on the theme. I've always thought Step: The Plain from Subspace sounded a lot like Sky Sands from Air Ride. Very similar structure and instrumentation.
I share that sentiment, I dug into the Hercales soundtracks a while ago and was very happy they gave us that information. For Brawl, I'd wager that Battlefield and many of the menu themes are by him. Compare 'Stage Builder' to the arrangement of 'An Invitation from the Past' from the Glory of Hercales: Greek Reminiscences album, for example. I'm also very sure he wrote Tabuu's battle theme based on similarities to Natural Killer Cyborg from Mother 3. There's definitely still a lot to be uncovered.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 04:17 AM

Looks like Sakai has retired from HAL Laboratory and is a freelance composer now. In this column he wrote for JCAA, his profile at the bottom of the page mentions:

Quote:
1960年生まれ。高校一年生の時に聴いた萩田光雄さんの編曲にシビれ、大学後半からテレビ歌番組に出入り するようになりビッグバンド編曲における前田憲男さんの偉業に触れ、諸先輩のような編曲家になりたい!と志 すも、ゲーム会社に作曲家として就職し36年経過。2023年よりフリーランスとして活動。
He had already mentioned about his retirement plans back in the Kirby 30th Anniversary Concert last summer.

Last edited by RBM95; Feb 15, 2023 at 12:41 AM.