VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old May 23, 2014, 07:23 AM
VGMdb Staff

Default Watch_Dogs Original Game Soundtrack

Removed WiiU from platforms as that version won't be released in some acceptable time window for this album (expected release is Fall at best).

Also wanted to ask this, if the CD turns out to be identical, what would be the rationale to keep this digital version since we're still trying (I think) to avoid separate entries for digital versions with the same release date & content?
Old May 23, 2014, 08:31 AM
Trusted Editor

Why remove WiiU if it will have the same music as rest of the versions/ports? And same game?
Old May 23, 2014, 09:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

Because if the WiiU port isn't released very close to the date of this album OST, it can't be the represented platform for this particualr album. Doesn't matter if it's the same music (and obviously it will be the same). That's a pretty old guideline/discussion/problem etc.

That's why ME1 OST doesn't have PC or PS3 selected. It's the same game. Same music. But the guideline/concensus.

And bunch of others. But I'm pretty sure there are a lot inconsistencies though (as with everything around here).

Recent topic that reminded me about this:
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5040
Old May 25, 2014, 07:55 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
Also wanted to ask this, if the CD turns out to be identical, what would be the rationale to keep this digital version since we're still trying (I think) to avoid separate entries for digital versions with the same release date & content?
It seems like the Front cover for the CD edition will be different.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
It seems like the Front cover for the CD edition will be different.
Oh c'mon this is like the laziest excuse to have a separate entry for it. Digital cover can be added to CD album's page.
It seems like people just get off on making as many entries about the same thing as possible, even when the differences are superficial and insignificant.
Maybe it's just me, but I really find it being redundant.
There are so many distributors becoming these days, one version of the OST is a pre-order bonus at Steam, one is sold at iTunes on day1, one comes out it lossless at Qobuz a month later... hey let's make a separate entry for each and everyone of them. I mean come on.
Old May 26, 2014, 03:34 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

We do need a CD entry, that's sure. Like i said in a previous post (and i think you agreed), CD entries are more important.

About the digital entry (at least for watch_dogs) we can keep it because:
- it have a different cover
- it have a different release date
- it have a different way of accessibility (commercially available for a few bucks and not buying a whole physical collector's edition)
Old May 27, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
We do need a CD entry, that's sure. Like i said in a previous post (and i think you agreed), CD entries are more important.

About the digital entry (at least for watch_dogs) we can keep it because:
- it have a different cover
- it have a different release date
- it have a different way of accessibility (commercially available for a few bucks and not buying a whole physical collector's edition)
Absolutely of course the CD has to stay, it's more important no question about it, the focus was only on digital copy. And the digital copy is a simple a copy/paste content of a CD with the only exception of a different cover. As for a different way of accessibility, that can be said about any web release, it's not a CD so naturally it's a different way of accessibility and a different price tag comes along with it, which in itself I might add is not a good enough reason to have a separate page. Prices in general will vary from place to place and we should first and foremost look at the content, and this is the same content with an alternative cover. I can understand if digital came out and became available for everyone before CD did, but ... it didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
OK, so:
-it has different front cover, fixable by putting it in CD entry too and marking it as front (digital)
-it does not have a different release date - iTunes and Qobuz as well as the CD all have May 27th (aka today lol)
-way of acquiring can be easily added to the notes of the CD entry, like it has been done many times before as "Also available digitally blah blah" and of course adding purchase links too and marking them as (digital).

Let me just say I'm fine with either way but having in mind we're usually so pressing against content-wise identical digital versions (with the same release date), one small front cover may seem like pushing it.
Yep that's pretty much exactly how I was looking at it. Just mention/link it all on CD's album page.
Old May 27, 2014, 01:17 AM
VGMdb Staff

OK, so:
-it has different front cover, fixable by putting it in CD entry too and marking it as front (digital)
-it does not have a different release date - iTunes and Qobuz as well as the CD all have May 27th (aka today lol)
-way of acquiring can be easily added to the notes of the CD entry, like it has been done many times before as "Also available digitally blah blah" and of course adding purchase links too and marking them as (digital).

Let me just say I'm fine with either way but having in mind we're usually so pressing against content-wise identical digital versions (with the same release date), one small front cover may seem like pushing it.
Also this is irrelevant but I'm certain I noticed the album on iTunes several days before the page for digital release was created here but avoided to make it because I thought the tracks will all be the same (and in the same order) as on CD, and they are.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:28 AM
VGMdb Staff

Not related with Watch_Dogs but what's with these (member pointed these to me regarding different matter a while ago)? These are even worse, how are these digital versions different in any way from their CD parent? Seriously. Just because the booklet is digital (of course it is digital in a digital edition) nevermind the digital version is identical in every way. I mean, really?

http://vgmdb.net/album/30511 & http://vgmdb.net/album/29735
http://vgmdb.net/album/30512 & http://vgmdb.net/album/21810

oh this one too
http://vgmdb.net/album/29533 & http://vgmdb.net/album/29469

and this
http://vgmdb.net/album/29167 & http://vgmdb.net/album/24607

If the release dates were different I wouldn't have said anything.

I can always assume nobody cared about it back in 2011.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:35 AM
VGMdb Staff

They should all be purged.