VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 24, 2021, 09:03 AM

Is this legal?!
Old Jul 3, 2021, 05:57 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Any word on if this release was properly licensed?
Old Jul 3, 2021, 06:36 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

A member of my VGM Facebook group found this which leads be to believe this album was properly licensed for distribution on 1,000 vinyl. Is there anything else this would need to be considered properly licensed?

https://idblm.org/Pages/Album.aspx?q...mdk8dQpEV_4XcI

More detailed view of album licensing: https://www.easysonglicensing.com/pa....aspx?p=269546
Old Jul 4, 2021, 04:03 AM

Yeah if it's on the 'Easy Song Licensing' site it's legit
As long as all the music has been previously released then this would be considered a 'cover' and you just have to pay a 'mechanical' fee, which goes to the publisher, to make it legit.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 07:07 PM

Could someone theoretically do this with Super Metroid (find the samples, painstakingly recreate it in MIDI, license each track) and finally release a high fidelity soundtrack?

My main concern is the licensing aspect of it.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 10:07 PM

The tricky part with Super Metroid is that aside from a few tracks on Play it Loud! and some promo discs I don't think most of it has ever been released outside Japan and so wouldn't be available for license in America, for example. Though I'd rather just see Nintendo/Columbia do a proper re-recording of the original game sound...
Old Mar 30, 2022, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Is this legal?!
Yes and no, I'd say. The songs are definitely licensed and they paid for that, so it's a legitimate release and not a bootleg.

Now, using the exact samples the original songs did but at the same time not, that's a pretty clever licensing trick. He's using the original samples before they were compressed to something the SNES could use. You'd probably have to talk to the rights owners directly to get permission for such a use in the licensing agreement because getting as close to the originals as possible certainly stretches the definition of a "cover" as they call it. But it's highly unlikely legal action would be taken against something like this. Where they definitely crossed a boundary is creating the arrangements by using and modifying the original music data. Again, you'd have to talk to the rights owners before you do that, and I doubt an intermediary licensing agency would go to the trouble.

I respect what they tried with the album. Obviously, a lot of love and labour has gone into this. It starts out really strong and sounds phenomenal yet faithful in the first half. It's in the second half that the arrangements (let's call them arrangements because the music data was changed and he added endings to the songs) start to diverge from the originals a bit more. The most jarring example is the electric guitar in "The Credits Concerto". It's things like this that make me appreciate the original, or rather compressed sound source just a little bit more.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
Now, using the exact samples the original songs did but at the same time not, that's a pretty clever licensing trick. He's using the original samples before they were compressed to something the SNES could use.
This has me interested in doing a Ninja Gaiden "NES" trilogy arrangement album:

Ninja Gaiden I-III's NES music has been released under Brave Wave outside Japan. So far, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES) has not had any release, and I don't really care for it, but I would be interested in finding the original samples to try my hand at recreating a 16-bit soundtrack.

The thing is, some tracks take vast liberties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFrt...93829&index=61

Trying to claim that as a cover of this would be quite a stretch:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B9200A82A93829

I already dislike the SNES conversion's arrangements enough to not use its MIDI data, but I would like to implement some of the arrangement styles already present in the SNES game. Where does one draw the line here?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
This has me interested in doing a Ninja Gaiden "NES" trilogy arrangement album:

Ninja Gaiden I-III's NES music has been released under Brave Wave outside Japan. So far, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES) has not had any release, and I don't really care for it, but I would be interested in finding the original samples to try my hand at recreating a 16-bit soundtrack.

The thing is, some tracks take vast liberties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFrt...93829&index=61

Trying to claim that as a cover of this would be quite a stretch:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B9200A82A93829

I already dislike the SNES conversion's arrangements enough to not use its MIDI data, but I would like to implement some of the arrangement styles already present in the SNES game. Where does one draw the line here?
The simplest and most accurate answer to this would be: "Ask your trusted lawyer, then try your luck".

The more convoluted answer is: I'm unfamiliar with Ninja Gaiden (I guess you wanted to do a comparison between a SNES and a NES track but mixed up the links somehow?), though if the SNES music has never been released, then those particular arrangements are off-limits unless you contact the rights holder of the SNES game and get permission to cover them. A compulsory license (which is what this album used) can be issued without the explicit consent of the rights holder for music that's been released but it doesn't give you permission to re-release the exact version of a song as it was recorded by the rights holder (or someone that got a license to release it). Neither does it give you permission to cover any arranged version of your choice that hasn't been released before. So if you were to get a compulsory license for the NES music but use the SNES arrangements as a base or include elements from it somehow, then that would be illegal. Whether that would lead to litigation and whether the rights holder could prove that you infringed their copyrights of the SNES version somehow, that'd be highly dependent on your arrangements.

I'm positive the people involved in this album got some sort of legal advice before the release.