VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So the hidden track is at the beginning of the 3rd disc?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:05 AM

Yes, or to be more specific before the beginning of disc 3.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:16 AM

This is just like the Final Fantasy VII Reunion tracks http://vgmdb.net/album/45 , pre-gap track.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:56 PM

Regarding this CD and its reprint's track lists: should the pre-gap track be removed? I ask because other CDs with pre-gap tracks feature the track list as shown on the packaging and the pre-gap track is mentioned in the comments.

The Japanese track list is correct, but the English one is not. Also, the current comment isn't entirely correct either. It states:

"Track 3-21, "Theme of Coon (Hidden Track)," is not listed in the packaged tracklisting of the CD."

It should probably be changed to resemble the comment on the Final Fantasy VII Reunion Tracks.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:57 PM
VGMdb Advisor

for the sake of consistency, you may well be right. I defer to other admins for their judgment though.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 03:09 AM

There was no need for all the fuzz about it, the database is going through changes concerning the way VGMdb will handle pre-gap tracks, anyway like Ramza said "for the sake of consistency" I corrected it.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:37 AM

Alright, I'm getting tired of comparing (assuming there is any basis for comparison in the first place) so can anyone help me with a little something?

I was listening to the SaGa Frontier soundtrack and a melody of track 10 of disc 1 reminded me of another song. It wasn't long before I dug up track 11 of the Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku soundtrack, "Wood Carving Partita".

For the ADX track, start listening at 0:29 and end at 0:34.
For the SaGa Frontier track, listen to the first 10 seconds or so.

I'm not good at visualising music or musical terms but both segments seem to "rise" and then end with a "triple" (i.e. la. la. la.). (Like I said, I don't have a musical vocabulary)

Are the two tracks similar in any way except style or am I just looking for something that isn't there?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor

tell me what "Gekka no Yasoukyoku" translates to in English and I'll take a look at it.

EDIT -- I just listened to "Trick" (disc 1 tr 10) and it sounds a hell of a lot like Castlevania music in general. Super-baroque.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
tell me what "Gekka no Yasoukyoku" translates to in English and I'll take a look at it.

EDIT -- I just listened to "Trick" (disc 1 tr 10) and it sounds a hell of a lot like Castlevania music in general. Super-baroque.
Sorry, this one.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:01 PM

The scans for this one are really weird... we only have part of the tracklist from the booklet, and the idea of there being an obi is kind of funny considering this is one of DigiCube's early box prints, so per the usual there's definitely no obi. What's called "obi" is really just the back of the case and then the right flap attached to it (that gives the title on the spine). Also, the tracklist needs some fixing, considering "Theme of Coon" is definitely not track 1, it's track nothing. It's a secret track. Calling it track 1 messes up the real order of things. But wow, looking at this, it's entry 38. This is like one of the first entries, a real piece of history (both for this site and VGM, I feel).

If anyone owns this that could update these scans, it would be a good contribution.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
If anyone owns this that could update these scans, it would be a good contribution.
Good point regarding the Obi. Do you mean somebody could replace the current scans by better ones, or add those illustration books (which I think are the only missing scans)? I can't, because mine is too stained in places, though.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:16 PM

Oh wait, now I see the other part of the tracklist, in Booklet Back. I was thinking we were missing this (I must have forgotten to zoom in on this image, since the scans have been messing up for me). But quality is fine, so I guess we really don't need a whole new set of scans. I don't know if we want to add the illustration booklet, though if it's fine then someone can if they want. It doesn't have any information about the album though, so it's not a priority.

Also I changed "Cast Front" to "Case Front".
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:02 PM

Well, I fixed a couple things in the Japanese tracklist, but it was really all kana related. The scans for the tracklist present all the kanji as black blobs (EDIT: Just now realized they'll be white normally, but I inverted the colors just because I disliked the green). While all the kanji here matched up with Amazon.jp's tracklist, one of the errors I changed did too.

Last edited by Medina; Jul 24, 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 05:12 PM

if localization names are wrong, you still use it in the translation?
because omble should be ombre (= shadow; if you play the game, it makes sense)
Old Jan 2, 2011, 05:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I think it uses all localization names? (ex. Koorong / Kowloon).
Except Black Cross / Black X maybe now that I think of it.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 06:07 PM

I think Orlouge could be Horloge (edit: apparently official jap name is Orlouge, at least something they got right)

edit: and Mosperiburg could be Muspelnibel (muspelheim, maybe niflheim or nibelung?)

Last edited by Phonograph; Jan 30, 2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:22 PM

Okay... I hope to improve this entry, the entry for one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. I made some fixes to the Japanese tracklist, the most important ones being to 2-23, in which we had a kanji when it was really hiragana, and 1-17, in which we had a chōonpu when we should have had ichi (一家 is family, and it doesn't make much sense to elongate ロ in カバレロ).

Also, our booklet scans are really screwed up, to the point where I'm not even sure how to rename them. The booklet is a 3-page foldout, like the one's you'll typically find in DigiCube releases during this time period.
- "Booklet Page 04&05" is actually the left and center pages of the interior (so perhaps pages 1 and 2)
- "Booklet Back" is actually the right page of the interior (so perhaps page 3)
- "Booklet Page 02&03" is actually the left and center pages of the exterior, with "Page 03" being the back of the booklet when it's folded up.

Unfortunately this is the one thing I'm missing from my copy of the soundtrack. I lost it over a decade ago and it's gone and never coming back, but this is the only layout to this booklet that makes sense. I'm certain that the booklet is structured like this. If you own this soundtrack and have the booklet, your confirmation would be appreciated.

Also, like Medina mentioned, the hidden track 0 on disc 3 shouldn't be part of the tracklist here, because it's not track 1, and calling it track 1 will throw off every real track order of the CD. I think this will take submitting a completely new tracklist in order to fix. I'll do that along with some scans, hopefully, because we don't have the slipcase or the disc case scanned, and this booklet front image isn't at all what you'd see if you looked at this soundtrack. However, my copy is pretty beat up, and the scans will be neither high quality nor high resolution. But, I still think it will be better than nothing.

Last edited by Hellacia; Apr 16, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Also, our booklet scans are really screwed up, to the point where I'm not even sure how to rename them. The booklet is a 3-page foldout, like the one's you'll typically find in DigiCube releases during this time period.
- "Booklet Page 04&05" is actually the left and center pages of the interior (so perhaps pages 1 and 2)
- "Booklet Back" is actually the right page of the interior (so perhaps page 3)
- "Booklet Page 02&03" is actually the left and center pages of the exterior, with "Page 03" being the back of the booklet when it's folded up.

Unfortunately this is the one thing I'm missing from my copy of the soundtrack. I lost it over a decade ago and it's gone and never coming back, but this is the only layout to this booklet that makes sense. I'm certain that the booklet is structured like this. If you own this soundtrack and have the booklet, your confirmation would be appreciated.
Absolutely right. The scans for the reprint are much more accurate.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:57 PM

Thanks and thanks! I didn't realize the reprint had any scans. The last time I looked at it... which was probably about a year ago... it was completely blank, not even a cover. It's good to be able to reference that.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor

For booklets like those, I think it's okay to actually add "Interior"/"Exterior" after "Booklet", like I did for APCG-4044.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:32 PM
VGMdb Advisor

iTunes doesn't have the secret track it seems.

tracklist:
1 Dawn of a Journey
2 Opening Title Theme
3 Blue's Theme
4 Margmel in Ruin
5 A Traditional Yorkland Air
6 Junk
7 Alkaiser Attacks!
8 Emelia's Theme
9 Asellus's Theme
10 Uncertainty
11 Dungeon #1
12 Battle #1
13 Victory!
14 To a New Land
15 Sunset Town
16 Let's Swing!
17 Caballero Clan Confrontation
18 Ancient Tomb of Sei
19 Ancient Tomb of Mu
20 Battle #2
21 Nakajima Robotics
22 Combat Arena
23 Leonard's Laboratory
24 Theme of the Cygnus
25 Baccarat
26 Devin
27 Koorong
28 Battle #3
29 Your Journey Ends...
30 N-E-X-T
1 A Town in Blue
2 Omble
3 Ancient Ship
4 Despair
5 HQ
6 Booby Trap
7 Hey, Fuse!
8 Shudder
9 Owmi
10 Shingrow
11 Theme of a Kylin
12 Shuzer
13 Danger!
14 Battle #4
15 Back Streets of Koorong
16 Alone
17 Melody of Time
18 Orlouge's Oppression
19 Castle of Thorns
20 Dark Labyrinth
21 Magic Kingdom
22 Battle #5
23 A Melody
24 Resolution
1 Mosperiburg
2 Wakatu
3 BlackX Base
4 Hell
5 The Ultimate Weapon
6 At All Costs...
7 Asellus's Last Battle
8 Blue's Last Battle
9 Riki's Last Battle
10 Red's Last Battle
11 T260G's Last Battle
12 Lute's Last Battle
13 Emelia's Last Battle
14 Lummox Beat (Riki's Ending)
15 Destiny (Blue's Ending)
16 My Dear Country (Lute's Ending)
17 R3X Rush! (Red's Ending)
18 Flashing Before My Eyes (Asellus's Ending)
19 Contentment (Emelia's Ending)
20 Childhood Memories (T260G's Ending)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:13 PM

Oh, right. This soundtrack. I keep forgetting about (putting off ) doing this. Well, no more. I'm at least fixing the tracklist. The hidden track actually isn't part of the tracklist. It's not track 1, it's not track anything, it's a pregap and thus shouldn't be in the tracklist. I'm not even sure how people are able to freedb this thing, the database is going to look for something that's 21 tracks instead of 20.

EDIT: Wow, it took 3 minutes to do that. Damn I'm lazy hahaha

Last edited by Hellacia; Aug 29, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think some FF thread had a heated debate about that, tread lightly.

For my post, it was merely a note *hides*.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:46 AM

I'm pretty confident in my knowledge of proper CD structure. The hidden track isn't considered a track by any type of player out there, whether it be your computer or an old-timey CD player. Every type of CD player will give you "20 tracks" when you put the third disc of this soundtrack in. That's because the hidden "track" is not a track by any means.

Trust me on this one Dag, I got it
Old Jan 30, 2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I think it uses all localization names? (ex. Koorong / Kowloon).
Except Black Cross / Black X maybe now that I think of it.
Castle of Needles should be Chateau Aiguille, Coon should Riki
but for the latter, it'd be like "rewrite" the original english of the original tracklist
Old Aug 8, 2014, 04:04 PM

The group's name is written as Black X in the English Version of the game, but it is meant to be read as "black cross" the way it is in the track listing.

Also, I think Emilia is spelled with two e's in the game - Emelia. I'm not 100% on it but I've played the game a ton.

Man I love this game and its lore.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 04:19 PM

Yes, it's Emelia, and it's also Black X Base.

However, from what I understand, people actually call the X button on a PlayStation controller the "Cross" button. I remember a version of Gameshark telling me to "press cross to confirm" or something. I have great disdain for this. It's not a cross, a cross and an x are two different symbols. In the same vein, I'm sure even American players say Black Cross even though it's written as Black X in the game. I think this means that we can go with the localized spelling of Black X without necessarily taking away from the pronunciation of Black Cross. I would go with Black X in the tracklist.

Also, anyone know if 済王陵古墳 and 武王古墳 are the names of the areas in the Japanese version of the game? They're called Sei's Tomb and Mu's Tomb respectively in the American version, and the translations we have now seem like they're wordy translations of what are possibly corresponding area names.

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Aug 8, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:48 PM
Trusted Editor

In regards to the HTOA track on this album (and subsequent reprints), the track cuts off the first roughly 2.5 seconds of the theme. Additional notes can be found here and here

It has been confirmed by multiple sources (myself and 4 other users at this point). If there is any evidence to the contrary, please post here with information. I will update the album info for this and the box set.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:42 AM

dancey's post is a bit old, but to get the information out there: the HTOA doesn't cut off any notes that I can hear. The HTOA, however, is extremely tricky to rip because of how the CD was mastered. I hope it's okay to post this kind of technical data, but in order to catch the full track, you need to use an offset of -43325 in a ripping program like EAC, and EAC in particular doesn't even let you go that far plus or minus—you actually have to edit the Windows registry while the program is closed to achieve it! It can be done though, and the resulting rip of the track is very complete. The reason the first bit of the track was getting cut off is because that large of an offset is almost an entire second (44100 samples), so essentially, the first second of the track would be missing. Additionally, some drives cannot overread into an adjusted offset, which could possibly lose more.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by RFGalaxy; Nov 10, 2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 06:31 PM
Trusted Editor

I can confirm that the start of that hidden track does exist on the disc. You need a drive that has the capability to read the "lead-in" area of discs and those pretty much aren't manufactured anymore. And the ones that do exist mostly use old SCSI or IDE connectors so even finding the right hardware to rip the track correctly can be tough.