VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:38 AM

Did this original print come with a spinecard?
Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:59 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yes, it did. You can see an picture showing it here.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:16 PM
Trusted Editor

I'm pretty sure that at least track 41 (and track 48?) was composed by some other guy, but I'm not firm with classical music. Maybe someone else can add him to the composer section
Old Sep 3, 2010, 09:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
I'm pretty sure that at least track 41 (and track 48?) was composed by some other guy, but I'm not firm with classical music. Maybe someone else can add him to the composer section
You're right. "Temptation of the Princess" is actually an arrangement of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake". "Dungeon" is really composed by Uematsu and later was used in Final Fantasy VI as "The Magic House". Besides, "Waltz" is an arrangement of "Kaiser-Walzer" by Johann Strauss II.

Source: SEMO's review.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:20 AM

I got this soundtrack through today, it says catalogue number PSCR-5185 (H25X-20015) I'm confused if this is the original print or not. The side of the case and top corner of the liner notes says PSCR-5185, yet this is not listed in our database. Any conclusions???
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This seems to be 1993 reprint we didn't have on VGMdb. It's mentioned several places, like here:

http://www.suruga-ya.jp/database/120007462001.html

I've added an entry for it:

http://vgmdb.net/album/21166

We it be possible for you to scan your album and add the images to the entry?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:58 AM

The release date specified is wrong, I'm really confused about this album, it seems it was released shortly after the original print. Going to upload some scans.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:00 AM

Song is a misnomer. The kanji in question translates "piece" or "melody," but not song, which is 歌.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Does anyone know if the whole mono sound thing was fixed in any of the reprints?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:35 PM

Well, to be fair, the original source material was mono to begin with. I own the 1994 reprint, and it has a very odd sound to it. I think this is what happened.

Wikipedia.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 02:48 AM

Nobuo Uematsu is listed on the arranger field, but there is no indication on the album anywhere that he arranged anything. The only arranger mentioned is MICHIAKI KATO. Should we remove Uematsu from the arranger field?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorbia View Post
Nobuo Uematsu is listed on the arranger field, but there is no indication on the album anywhere that he arranged anything. The only arranger mentioned is MICHIAKI KATO. Should we remove Uematsu from the arranger field?
Well, Uematsu is still the arranger of the OSV, so it's fair that his name stays.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 05:08 AM

how can he "still" be the arranger since there is no indication of arrangement by uematsu?

I reach namorbia about that, or you have a proof he is credited as arranger somewhere?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 05:47 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'm inclined to agree with Namorbia here. Although it was very much the trend at the time for Square soundtracks to credit the composer as composer/arranger within the booklet it is seemingly not the case here. I completely see how it came about but, for me, it's an assumed credit which we try, where possible, to avoid.
Any argument that it was Uematsu who arranged the classical pieces is, again, likely but speculative.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Any argument that it was Uematsu who arranged the classical pieces is, again, likely but speculative.
Oh, I actually forgot that there were a few classical pieces used in FF 2. In that case, I guess Uematsu should be credited as the arranger, if he indeed did arrange those pieces for the Famicom.

I mistakenly remembered that the only arranged tracks were the last and first tracks, the long synth medleys.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 01:47 AM
VGMdb Staff

As I said, it's highly likely that Uematsu arranged these classical pieces but he's not officially credited as an arranger so I'm of the mind that we shouldn't assign him the credit based on an assumption no matter how compelling it is. In the exact same way, Motoi Sakuraba isn't credited as a performer on a number of his albums despite knowing with near 100% certainty he played on them. However, in the absence of official confirmation, we quite rightly hold off on having him in the performer field.

Last edited by Jimby; Aug 16, 2016 at 03:35 AM.