VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:56 AM

I suggest we remove the "English" tracklist, as the "English (Sound Test)" is half-right (as far as translations go) and half-appropriate (formatting); for the latter, I'm not sure why Sakuraba/whoever didn't just go for these in the first place, they're perfect (to the point where the "Engrish" sounds a hundred times better than any translation).

Just seems like unnecessary duplication as is, that's all. Dunno if we should rename the sound test to "English" accordingly.

edit: Well now I don't know. Seeing as the translation shouldn't change the actual "English" titles (like the sound test does), we may as well keep it for that. Things like this are why I'd rather see romaji tracklists for everything and having those be the default, with an "English Translation" instead of just "English".

Last edited by Despatche; Oct 22, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:05 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, I thought some people would be interested to check how some of the more colorful tracknames do actually translate, and the liberties the sound test takes.
But whatever you guys want.

More: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2729
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:50 AM

japanese track 2.33 is a phrasing for prayer in shrine
something like "O Lord, Make Me Happy" (not sure it sounds like very prayerish)
Old Oct 8, 2012, 02:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It's not bad, although just "Make Me Happy" seems a bit direct to me if I were praying to the Christian God. Maybe something more like "O Lord, Please Bring Me Happiness" or "O Lord, Please Help Me Find Happiness"?

I know even less about Shinto prayers than I do about Western religious practices, so I'm not sure how well the nuances translate.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:13 PM

Added a link to the excellent interview from the "Valkyrie Profile Material Collection" game guide, translated by Shmuplations. Interesting information from this are that (game designer and story writer) Masaki Norimoto decided the music and (programmer) Shigeru Ueki made up those complex track titles. ^^
Old Sep 13, 2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Added a link to the excellent interview from the "Valkyrie Profile Material Collection" game guide, translated by Shmuplations. Interesting information from this are that (game designer and story writer) Masaki Norimoto decided the music and (programmer) Shigeru Ueki made up those complex track titles. ^^
Really thanks, very interesting!
Hatsushiba and Sakuraba are both musical genius, we need a new project with both doing the music ;_;