VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:34 AM

Default The Reason why you are collecting VGM CDs

Hi together ^^

I'm curious why so many people are collecting VGM?

My brother and I started looking for some Soundtracks end of april. We actually never thought that we can get so much addicted in collecting CDs. I find it quite interesting negotiating with sellers and/or buyers, it's like a little flea market on the internet. My brother tells me often that collecting VGM CDs is like finding treasures and it's every time exciting. Once you got something, you still want more and more. I totally agree with him.. I like these moments too, when you sell something and the person who has bought it is really happy about his/her received package. Some people have written us some quite personal details why they love so much the music and were so grateful even weeks and months after they got it.

After I've downloaded for years from various channels and torrent-sites I can personally say that collecting the real deal is much more interesting. We stopped downloading VGM Soundtracks, we only want the original ones and sometimes we really into the hunt. Try to imagine two different rooms (respectly my brother's and my room) where we're checking for the newest updates and some japanese stores, compairing prices, looking for better or complete CDs... sometimes we argue heavily which CD we should buy now. I actually have never shared some kind of interest with my brother (even as kids, he liked Pokémon and I Sonic the Hedgehog), but on the other hand I'm glad that we actually enjoy something together.

So... what's your reason? ^^

Edit: Well q.q I forget to tell my "first collecting" story too.

I'm a big fan of Land Stalker. I really love the second field theme, it's something that I never heard before. After years searching for it I found it on eBay and tried to bid for it. I think around 2003 the CDs were much expensiver... the soundtrack went for about 80 US Dollars over the desk and I was disappointed that I didn't got it. The seller mailed me some days later and told me, that he had an second copy and even the promotion single. Some weeks later I got both CDs in a very good condition and started to share it on the vgm hub. I was so proud about it, I never thought that I really will get this CD. It's my personal favourite.

Last edited by Lucy; Jul 30, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:50 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The first game i truly loved the soundtrack from was Batman on NES, by Sunsoft (composed by Naoki Kodaka). I was 4 years old when i noticed it and since then i just been in love with game soundtracks. Being from Norway though meant i didn't really get ahold of cds much before the Internet came around. But i did snatch up some cds from my different travels around the world.

The first official vgm cd i got was Killer Cuts though, there was some old cassette tapes with C64 music that came along in magazines, i'll try to find the ones i have.

My doujin collection far exceeds my official collection though, and how i got into that is a whole different story
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
The first game i truly loved the soundtrack from was Batman on NES, by Sunsoft (composed by Naoki Kodaka).
The first stage theme from this game is also one of the first pieces of game music is remember enjoying, though overall I enjoyed the music for the Game Boy version much more <3 I gradually came to notice and enjoy the music in games more and more around this time. Stuff like Duck Tales and Castlevania Adventure [both for the GB] come to mind as other soundtracks I really came to enjoy around the same time.

As for collecting: I purchased a few soundtracks during the PSX era, and since I'm somewhat of a collector of various things, I began seriously collecting game music a few years ago. Usually, I mostly enjoy the part of collecting that precedes finding. Basically, the searching part. In the case of game music though, where I buy (almost exclusively) second-hand items, I also really enjoy the package opening part; checking conditions, cleaning, replacing damaged cases, etc. Then popping the case in a slip and placing it in its spot in the cd/book cases I use for my collection [I have them placed in alphabetical order].

Here are a few pictures of my collection:

Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Here are a few pictures of my collection:
Is that a limited edition Legend of Mana OST? Mine doesn't have a slipcase like that.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:32 PM

I could write for days in response to this.... but I'll refrain (for the moment :P). I've loved game music as long as I can remember. I started making my own tapes (boom box by the TV speaker) with Colecovision (Subroc, Mousetrap, Smurf) and really got into it with the release of the NES. The first VGM CD I ever bought was Konami Ending Collection in 1992. Disc 1 opens with Gradius III's ending theme.... I died and went to heaven.

Pre-internet, I got my CDs from Asahiya bookstores and an anime dealer I knew.

Edit: BTW, Lucy, I have that Landstalker CD as well. Got it when it was released. One of my favorites.

Last edited by mrnutz; Aug 2, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:00 PM

I allready started to love these blip'n bleep sounds with an early age without realizing it that much. The SNES music was a huge experience for me.
Anyway... I like collecting VGM and I'm a foobar user. I like to mod my foobar and make lossless copies of my collection. I love to see my media library growing. Perfection is very important for me, when it comes VGM. Enjoying while organizing.
But well... I actually prefer trance/techno/hardcore doujins over original soundtracks, because I'm a raver. Best trance/techno/hardcore must sound for me like composed with a playstation. I simply love this shit.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:10 PM

I started collecting game music back in August 11 of 1998 on Napster after meeting a guy named Ateka from RPGamers.net & #Gamemp3s on DALnet. After introducing me to IRC full of people like my self. I just feel in love with vgm and started getting into ordering it from places like gamemusic.com until I ran into stuff they did not have.

For me its a drive to obtain a great collection of music for any time, place or mood. Game music encompasses all backgrounds and transcends all cultural barriers even with lyrics some don't understand its still enjoyed. The reward is the tale told by not only the game itself but through the music. For that I will never stop collecting.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:31 PM

There's just something about owning a physical copy of the music that you love. Having the actual album with the artwork and liner notes. I admit that I haven't purchased an album in a while, but that's because I mostly have all the ones I want, and the few others I'd like to possess would be too difficult to locate or too costly to purchase. Fortunately, I've come upon some great deals in my time, so that treasure seeking element definitely held up for a good while. There are just times when you get into acquiring more VGM albums and times when you don't. Another period of interest may pop up again, though just like before, it'd be an interest in secondhand albums from the past rather than any new stuff. The last album I purchased was the Digicube copy of the Vagrant Story OST, which was something I had wanted for some time.

First collection stories are more fun though, so I'll say that I've been into VGM for a long time. Although I enjoyed NES music as much as anyone else, I didn't get into recording VGM until the 16-bit era. I recorded the complete Toejam & Earl and Bubsy soundtracks on a cassette deck. I also recorded some DKC songs in a compilation tape. I didn't get my first official VGM album however until I discovered that they existed in the late nineties. Since I got into RPGs with the tri-fecta of Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger, those were the first I had sought out. I used to turn on my save file in FFVI and listen to the Magitek Factory music. I did the same with Chrono Trigger and the various character themes you can hear by talking to a party member at the end of time. And so at some point I placed an order by phone to GameMusic.com. I soon received my Final Fantasy VI OSV and the rest is history.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt View Post
There's just something about owning a physical copy of the music that you love. Having the actual album with the artwork and liner notes. I admit that I haven't purchased an album in a while, but that's because I mostly have all the ones I want, and the few others I'd like to possess would be too difficult to locate or too costly to purchase. Fortunately, I've come upon some great deals in my time, so that treasure seeking element definitely held up for a good while. There are just times when you get into acquiring more VGM albums and times when you don't. Another period of interest may pop up again, though just like before, it'd be an interest in secondhand albums from the past rather than any new stuff. The last album I purchased was the Digicube copy of the Vagrant Story OST, which was something I had wanted for some time.

First collection stories are more fun though, so I'll say that I've been into VGM for a long time. Although I enjoyed NES music as much as anyone else, I didn't get into recording VGM until the 16-bit era. I recorded the complete Toejam & Earl and Bubsy soundtracks on a cassette deck. I also recorded some DKC songs in a compilation tape. I didn't get my first official VGM album however until I discovered that they existed in the late nineties. Since I got into RPGs with the tri-fecta of Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger, those were the first I had sought out. I used to turn on my save file in FFVI and listen to the Magitek Factory music. I did the same with Chrono Trigger and the various character themes you can hear by talking to a party member at the end of time. And so at some point I placed an order by phone to GameMusic.com. I soon received my Final Fantasy VI OSV and the rest is history.

I remember recording NES & SNES to tape. Some of the recordings came out really good such as my Street Fighter recording while others came out so so. I remember recording Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and durring the final battle you could hear my cat meowing a few times.

As you can imagine when I found Midis ( at first ) I was so excited I almost tossed my tapes but not quite, still have my old school street fighter tape somewhere...
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shively View Post
I remember recording NES & SNES to tape. Some of the recordings came out really good such as my Street Fighter recording while others came out so so. I remember recording Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and durring the final battle you could hear my cat meowing a few times.
Haha. You can hear my mom vacuuming during the Rush 'n' Attack ending on my tape.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shively View Post

As you can imagine when I found Midis ( at first ) I was so excited I almost tossed my tapes but not quite, still have my old school street fighter tape somewhere...
That is exactly what I did. I had so many tapes. From Castlevania all the way to Chrono Trigger. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only out there that ever did that!

I download and burn my music to CD. I have it on my mp3 player. In my head. Everywhere. I have loved VGM's ever since I was remixing the sewer level in Mario Brothers 1 in my head.

There really nothing else to add, as it has already been done so eloquently here already. It's great to meet folks that have such a passion for this genre'.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:12 PM

Well... I guess it all started between 1999 and 2001. Some day that I was searching music in some p2p application and I typed "Final Fantasy" and there it was... The seven scenes of Final Fantasy Symphonic Suite. I downloaded them all instantly but due to my slow connection at the time only a couple of tracks had been completely downloaded by the time the peer disconnected.

So I started to search over it desperately and with some time I started getting more and more involved into Final Fantasy Soundtracks and therefore videogame soundtracks. Piano Collections, Vocal Collections... Now I feel guilty if there's a soundtrack for the Final Fantasy Series out there that I don't own
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:22 AM
VGMdb Staff

The slipcase was a first-print bonus, yeah. It's a bit thicker and more solid than the usual paper slipcases too. It seems to be made of some kind of cardboard.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:04 PM

I've really enjoyed video game music ever since I was a kid. Although my game music isn't as expanse as some of the other music I enjoy listening to it's still great. Every day it's slowly growing. First soundtrack I really wanted to get was Final Fantasy VIII OST. I remember so many memorable songs from that game especially "The Man with The Machine Gun", which is by the way the most best fight theme IMO in Final Fantasy. At the time I didn't know much about where to get game music but eventually found Galbadia Hotel. After awhile I stopped downloading music because I didn't have much interest in it or either couldn't find anything else interesting to listen. Fast forward to this year. I remember hearing DJMAX Portable over the internet and really wanted to download the music. I got that and began to discover doujin music from it. Searched and searched all over the net and found various sources including this site. A lot of the doujin music derived from a lot of Touhou oriented ones which really got me into video game music again, because of how mind-blowing it was for me to hear video game music arranged in a new fresh way. Kinda like how a producer samples a classic from whichever era and it makes it fresh. Since then I've begun to collect more VGM music again and discovering new music as well.

I haven't really started collecting actual CDs of my favorite game music. I own very little at the moment but I plan on collecting it later on. Right now I plan on buying various doujin cds this year and so on. I just like being able to hold on to the actual album in my hands. Has this special aura around it for me haha. Buying stuff out of the country is pretty cool as well which adds more to the excitement when you receive it. Other reasons that I purchase is, because I can't find it nor do I want to dig deeper into the net where it may be privately located within torrents or what not. Too much of a hassle for me just for one album. I just hope I don't get caught up into the habit of collecting more which has happened in the past especially for import items which are very pricey sometimes XD.

Last edited by eternal_tsukasa; Oct 1, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:28 AM

I collect vgm cd's just because I love the music. And because I like to own stuff.

This is my small collection. It's missing a few things I've bought since taking the picture, but it's mostly there.

Old Oct 15, 2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika View Post
I collect vgm cd's just because I love the music. And because I like to own stuff.
It sums it up nicely for me.
Looking back, the first indicator was obviously the Sonic games. I loved the music, and I'd end up recording cassettes with the music on them using a mic next to the TV's speaker.
Later on, when I got access to much more games via emulation, I found the gems that would draw me in: namely Chrono Trigger. It was the very first album I picked up because of my love for the music, and didn't mind spending quite a bit on it (the sad part is that it was a bootleg, and unable to have internet access, I kept byuing bootlegs for years, but that's another story...). Then 8 years or so ago, with internet acces and ebay as my most recent discovery, I fully entered into the vgm scene, collecting original from then until now.
It's real pricey, but man, some albums just deserve that and more. : D (Bare Knuckle II owns my soul)

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Oct 18, 2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing Darksun View Post
It was the very first album I picked up because of my love for the music, and didn't mind spending quite a bit on it (the sad part is that it was a bootleg, and unable to have internet access, I kept byuing bootlegs for years, but that's another story...).
I remember those days. I started during the SNES era, when the Golden Age of Squaresoft occurred, by ordering out of the back of gaming magazines. I think I bought 6 albums in that time (all bootlegs) and finally stopped collecting when I lost $70 on an order I placed for SaGa Frontier's soundtrack (they never shipped it). I missed the early days of the Internet ordering because of that. I wouldn't restart seriously collecting again until early 2007 when I fell in love with a gift from Tenpei Sato; Phantom Brave. The rest is history as they say...
Old Oct 18, 2008, 05:22 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
...by ordering out of the back of gaming magazines. I think I bought 6 albums in that time (all bootlegs) and finally stopped collecting when I lost $70 on an order I placed for SaGa Frontier's soundtrack (they never shipped it).
Wow, some gaming magazines those were, selling bootlegs... =o
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:01 PM

Well to be fair the magazines were only printing the advertisements for mail order services, so it was just selling ad-space. Bootlegging was still pretty common back then. Still I do remember some really ridiculous prices for some of those items. I think they had Seiken Densetsu 3 (right after it was released) listed for $130.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:15 PM

I choose to listen to and collect VGM because Iam a music lover, and I've found that video games can posses some of the greatest musical compositions in the world.

I'm a novice collector at the moment. I just started really collecting VGM Soundtrack CDs about a year ago. My #1 objective right now is to collect everything I can by Hyakutaro Tsukumo (Factory Noise & AG, Technosoft). I love his work too much. I guess I was influenced by my love for the shmup genre. Thunder Force V, Blast Wind and Hyper Duel are among my favorites, and I fell in love with their soundtracks almost instantaneously. In the near future, I'd like to start a serious collection, starting with stuff by Chris Hulsbeck, Shinji Hosoe and Michiru Yamane. But that'll all have to wait until my money situation gets better.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoccafella View Post
I choose to listen to and collect VGM because Iam a music lover, and I've found that video games can posses some of the greatest musical compositions in the world.
Pretty much my sentiments too.

Listening to the likes of Nobuo Uematsu, Hitoshi Sakimoto & Masashi Hamauzu in various games they composed music for, got me into wanting to collect VG music albums because, well i'm not sure really sure how to explain it, but VG music just feels more "right" to me rather than other genres of music.

I'm still just starting out in collecting at this moment in time, but i'm glad i'm doing so at last.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:44 PM
VGMdb Staff

Oh, well that's a bit better then.

$130 =o
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:00 AM

I saw an ad for a CD titled "Ocarina of Time Hyrule Symphony" in the back of an Electronic Gaming Monthly, back in the summer of 1999. The advertisement was from a store called "Gamecave". I called them and they told me to only buy soundtracks by EA, because they are cheaper. I didn't know what EA was, but the prices were $10 cheaper, so I bought them. I later discovered that Ever Anime versions were copies of Japanese releases.

Shortly after finding that ad in the back of the magazine, I found soundtrackcentral on the internet. And then I found out there were many game music CDs, which shocked me considerably. Trying to obtain them was an even bigger surprise. I learned all about the term "OOP" and that was not a pleasant experience. It was a very costly experience.

I didn't understand that those CDs were made strictly for the Japanese market. Apparently, the Japanese didn't understand that some people outside of Japan would also like to buy such things, and thus, the print runs must've been quite small. In my opinion, music stores, like Best Buy, should have a vast section of shelving dedicated to video game soundtracks. But that's not reality.

So I learned several hard lessons. Video game music becomes unavailable very quickly and if you're late - you pay dearly. Or - you trade. Or - you download. I paid dearly, I traded, and I downloaded. I didn't stick to any one method of obtaining this music. If I could buy it, then I bought it. If I could trade for it, then I traded, etc. Some of this music is so incredibly difficult to obtain that one must be very opportunistic and flexible.

I used to take great pride in owning the "originals", of which, I have owned more than 900. I eventually realized that a shelf of originals is like, umm, a lot of money. It's money sitting on a shelf. One must understand that game music is not like normal music. This stuff is worth a lot of money. It seemed very wasteful to me to let 400 originals sit on a shelf. That money could be used for food or making car payments. So I sold them all, and anything new I sold as well. If these CDs were cheap, say $5 each, there would be little to no motivation to sell them. 400 originals at $5 each amounts to $2000. To me, that is affordable. But 400 originals is more like $12,000. That's not affordable; it's crazy. And that's the way I was. I let $12,000 or more worth of music just sit on a shelf like I was a rich man or something.

As for "why" I collect video game music, this can be explained largely by nostalgia. I have good memories of playing video games and the music was an important part. I used to spend a lot of time listening to sound tests. I used to dream of having the music on CD or hearing it played by an orchestra. Those very things were happening in Japan as I was thinking about them, unknown to myself until many years later. Nostalgia soon became supplemented by reading the opinions of others. For example, I had never played a Final Fantasy or Ys game prior to age 24, so I had never heard the music. But people were claiming those games had good music. I wanted to know why people were speaking so highly of that music, so I bought some of their music CDs. It turned out their opinions were most agreeable and I started to take more opinions seriously. I later discovered that there are hundreds of games with music, almost literally, to die for.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:41 AM

I have always thought the game music is what makes or breaks how you feel when playing. You can have the best programming in the world but if you do not "feel" anything, then its lost. I used to turn on the SNES just to listen to the back round music from Zelda when it rained.

Now I am kinda stuck just in one group of music from Square and basically Final Fantasy. I collect most all the titles and then supporting concerts. Lately I have even been buying the Japanese DJ mix cd's that are great new versions of the songs. Of course my collection of game music has gone to extreme you might since I know run radio for the linkshells that are on FFXI. Yep you might say I love my collection of vgm cd's just a bit.

(great thread guys )
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:55 PM

Collecting VGM CDs is addictive because their circulation is not as big as pop music CDs, and very often they will not get reprinted, meaning if you don't buy it now, be prepared to pay double or triple the cost on eBay. In fact, it's exciting to buy soundtracks of games that you know are niche games. I never really have to worry about not getting the latest Final Fantasy OSTs because they are so popular, but I always look out for soundtracks from Nintendo. They don't seem to publish a lot of OSTs.

There are some soundtracks I regretted not buying when they were first available, such as Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. It was $30 when it first became available on eBay, a few years later it's over $100.

But of course, I buy what I like to listen, not buying them just because I think they might go up in value.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:08 PM

Hyakutaro Tsukumo is the reason for my VGM addiciton, and the reason why I started actually buying VGM CDs. I used to (still sometimes do) pop my SEGA Saturn copies of Thunder Force V, Blast Wind, Hyper Duel and Thunder Force Gold Pack 1 into my CD player and listen to the Redbook Audio. The BGM is really the first thing I noticed about the games when I first played them, and I was pretty damn happy that I could actually listen to the music, and even rip the tracks. Not even knowing that there were official OST CD releases for these games, I kept thinking how cool it would be if there were. Then when I came across TGMC Vol. 7 one day, on eBay, I didn't hesitate to buy it ($40 + shipping). Shortly afterwards I did a search to see how many others were out there, and ...that was it. I've been hunting for them ever since.

As my Saturn library grew, my VGM knowledge grew, as I would pop in my newest games into my CD player first before playing them right away. lol I was more interested in hearing their soundtracks.

As far as buying CDs goes, I only buy ones that I've already heard and like.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Until 1998, I didn't even know that soundtracks existed for games, other than that promotional catalog from Squaresoft (and how I wish I had acted back then...Secret of Evermore OST is worth boatloads these days!).

When I started my own website in 1998 ("The Monkey's Nest Gaming"), I set up an affiliation with GameCave in an attempt to make money. After making some money, I used their store credit to buy what were some seriously-overpriced Sonmay bootlegs. Anyway, that site sucked and eventually some helpful people at STC pointed me to GameMusic, Otaku, and AnimeNation. And I quickly started spending money I didn't even have (as a 16-year-old) collecting tons of music.

Now I keep my collection relatively small, and am constantly buying and selling. I mostly get soundtracks so I can review them on RPGFan (duh), but I also like to have this constant feed so I can keep the ones I really enjoy.

Ramza
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:31 PM

Good times were had by all when way way back in the days I recorded bunch of tunes from Megaman 2 to cassette tapes and played those back quite a bit.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:47 AM
Trusted Editor

Hehe, I did the same, only the game was different:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage...rom_the_Sewers

I think I still have the cassette lying around somewhere. Should contain even more VGM, IIRC I also recorded from a Gameboy Spiderman game and Secret of Mana later directly from the SNES.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 01:50 AM

I have an extremely amateur podcast-like "radio show" involving nothing but the music from Konami's BEMANI series. It's a hobby that I've worked on for about 5 years off and on. And I do mean off and on. The trick is, I won't play anything I don't own and I actually had to sell some soundtracks some time ago which blew a huge hole in my heart and this project, but recently I've made some purchases and I'm at a good position where I could actually start it up again.

Trying to weed out all the cheeziness of it all.

Oh, and nice to meet you all!