VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:14 AM

Default Are the Mega Man soundtracks on Steam the same as the the ones on the Sound Box?

I've been thinking about getting the Steam releases for the MM/X/Z/ZX/ZXA OSTs since the sound boxes are getting a bit expensive and because it would be a lot more space efficient. However, I was curious if the ones released there were the same as those on the Sound Box or not, minus the lack of the Cyber Mission, Soul Eraser & Maverick Hunter & Command Mission soundtracks. A couple years back Brad Evans II provided me a list of several known issues featured on tracks from the MM & X Sound Boxes and I was curious if said issues were still present in the Steam releases. If I recall correctly the Sound Box versions of Mega Man 1 & 2 had the most noticeable issues and the Rockman 1~6 Box is still the best official release for those two unless they've been fixed on the Steam versions. Also, I noticed a lot of the Capcom soundtracks on Steam say "The soundtrack has been reauthored from the original, high quality source material." Is "reauthored" just a fancy way of saying "rereleased?"
Old Jul 12, 2021, 05:10 AM

I'd like to know as well.

By the way, are you looking to buy the mainline Sound Box? I'm going to sell mine.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
I'd like to know as well.

By the way, are you looking to buy the mainline Sound Box? I'm going to sell mine.
I was interested in getting them all at some point, but if the Steam versions are identical (minus the omission of the aforementioned X spin-offs) I might just settle for those. However, I'd still like to get a hold of the Battle Network and Star Force Sound Boxes, but unfortunately it seems that I put off getting them for too long and now they've become the most expensive of the Mega Man Sound Boxes. Unless Capcom decides to release those on Steam as well I imagine that they're going to be a pain to get.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 06:08 PM

I'm going to sell Rockman.EXE Sound Box as well, but I can't help you with Star Force. I was expecting my brother to buy it, because he was a fan of the series, but he never did.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I'm going to sell Rockman.EXE Sound Box as well, but I can't help you with Star Force. I was expecting my brother to buy it, because he was a fan of the series, but he never did.
Oh really, depending on its condition and the general price range you had in mind I might be interested in purchasing that one from you. I'm a big fan of Battle Network so I'd love to get the Sound Box for it.
I was considering the digital release on ototoy, but the picture quality for the cover is surprisingly bad, I could easily just scan a better image myself.

I might still be interested in any other Mega Man Sound Boxes that you're planning to sell as well, but it'll depend on the results of my inquire regarding the Steam releases.
If there's anyone who's really good at comparing audio files that already has access to the Sound Box I'd probably be willing to buy and provide the Steam ones for comparison.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 05:38 AM

Okay, but keep in mind it might be a while. I want to make scans myself, but I haven't even opened the EXE box set yet. But I'll probably sell it for $150 + shipping. Otherwise I would just auction these on eBay and let the bids determine the price.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Okay, but keep in mind it might be a while. I want to make scans myself, but I haven't even opened the EXE box set yet. But I'll probably sell it for $150 + shipping. Otherwise I would just auction these on eBay and let the bids determine the price.
No problem, I'm not in any rush and $150 + shipping sounds like a perfectly fair price to me, you can just DM me whenever you're ready.
However, if you're planning to open the EXE box may I request that you put everything (including the obi) back into the plastic sleeve/bag that it came in afterwards? It's just a lot easier to keep it all together and free of dust and whatnot that way.