VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 18, 2010, 06:39 PM

Question Linking artists names in albums to artist profiles

I originally expected that this might happen automatically but it hasn't, so I'm not sure what to do. After searching on these forums some, I seemed to only be able to find a post untouched since 2008, which seems to speak of either removed features or features only available to admins.

Is this kind of linking done by admins, then? I've searched all of the edit options for the album page and the artist profile which I desire to link, and can't seem to find a way to do so.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

You're right. Artists can only be linked by staff and trusted editors. It's a bit more complicated than the other editing, plus it's nice to have another layer of accuracy verification. Maybe we should mention this somewhere. Anyway, I've hooked up the artist that you submitted.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:51 PM

Ah, thanks much! I figured that was the case, and it makes perfect sense, just verifying mon suspicions. Indeed t'would it be nice if it were officially announced somewhere so others don't go fervently searching for a way to do the same, but apparently it's not a big deal if I'm the only one to have posted a topic on it, haha. Thanks again, Seekeret.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:41 AM

have you guys considered a moderation queue for artist linking?
Old May 19, 2010, 03:19 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
have you guys considered a moderation queue for artist linking?
We have considered it, but the mechanics are complicated. It would require a lot more clean-up of errors, too. The way it is now, names can be verified before linking.

The alternative way to address this is to promote more people to Trusted Editors. There are more people here who are accurate enough to qualify, but maybe just aren't as active.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:04 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Hmm.. I don't think we have the matter really often...

But it's annoying if the artist or unit have a " , " in his name/surname/alias..etc..

Hope i did everything right for that entry for example.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, we need a separator, and the comma is a convenient one. If there is a comma in a name, then it'll just have to be linked manually (i.e., you find the artist page, and link it using the artist id.)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 09:48 AM

Just to bring this back up (as I'm encountering this problem again today), I think a moderation queue for artist linking would be a very good idea. While it might cause some problems like you mentioned, the problem right now is that the system only allows staff and trusted editors to submit that kind of information. For anyone else, we see unlinked names that we may be able to link up (and create artist profiles for if need be), but short of nagging a staff member or trusted editor on a case-by-case basis (which is probably annoying to all parties!), we can't help. This is a particularly frequent occurence with doujin releases, where it's unfair to expect staff+trusted editors to know everything about everything, and I'm sure the wider community could help with some of the blindspots.

making a whole slew of trusted editors would help but only somewhat, and I'm guessing constantly adding more and more trusted editors would get tiring.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 07:59 AM

While I'm aware the amount of extra work to manage the queues would be big, I'm with Blitz Lunar on this one. It would speed up the linking of the whole database. There must be a "neutral" solution of some sort; like allowing people with a certain post count/join date to link up entries, or similar (not really solid, but just an idea to illustrate). The same applies to product linking, which if I'm not wrong is also restricted to staff and editors, right?
Anyway, a

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!

Tags
albums, artists, linking, profile