VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:32 PM
Trusted Editor

Changed "Merry" to "Happy", it's written in katakana as Happy, and the digital single is "Happy Christmas". Removed C/W: from all track titles on bonus disc, since C/W isn't normally part of a track title and just stands for "coupled with" when used for 3" singles.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:53 PM

where did you see "coupled with" ? (because I've always seen coupling with)

3" singles? you don't mean 8cm singles?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:38 PM
Trusted Editor

Time for a lesson in English grammar!

c/w stands for coupled with (in English) because the songs are already coupled (past tense). They are not currently being or in the process of being being coupled (that's future present tense, and does not make sense in English). I know a lot of JP CDs say coupling but that's not how it works in English as far as I have ever known.

Also, 3" = 8cm. They are the same thing. US doesn't see 3" singles very often, they are mostly a European and Asian market, but we still call them 3" CDs.

Those aren't the main points of the original post anyway. C/W should not be included in the track title, this isn't included in any 3" singles track list that I've ever seen. It's used just to describe it as the flipside to the cover single or the song it's coupled with. It's written on the cd as:

Track1katakanablahblah
C/W:track2kanjiblahblah

It's not referenced anywhere else on the cd or inserts. Therefore I removed it.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:08 PM

Listened to this a few times through recently. My first time through the CD, I ended up thinking it was okay at best, not really feeling like there were too many standout tracks. But wow, my subsequent listens were quite a bit different. Listening to this, I honestly can't understand what happened with SaGa Frontier II. This came a year and a half before it, and yet the music sounds infinitely more polished, like the Hamauzu I think of when I think of any good soundtrack he's done. I don't mean to say I think this soundtrack is just amazingly ridiculously good; I don't like every track, but I really enjoy and go back to a good third of them. To me, that's really saying something when it comes to VGM, which has always been a realm of music in which I've listened to soundtracks for the favorites, for the new great finds, not because I think everything on one collective CD will be good. And the rest of the songs are *good* songs too, stuff that I wouldn't be unhappy to hear if it came on random or something. There are only one or two that I can say I actually dislike. Pretty solid CD.

Also, whenever Hamauzu names a track "Challenge" (挑戦), it seems it's destined to be good. FFX's Challenge and now this soundtrack's Challenge are some of my favorite tracks by Hamauzu, haha. Any others named Challenge by him...?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:49 AM
Trusted Editor

Every track from SaGa Frontier II were originally named as Challenge.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:40 AM

And they're not named Challenge now, are they... and I don't wonder why
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:03 AM
Trusted Editor

They're on my version :P
Old Jun 17, 2015, 07:05 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I wonder if Kumi Tanioka didn't actually contribute something to this soundtrack. I'm thinking particularly track 1.06. She did work on Dungeon 2, and I just noticed she has a track on Final Fantasy XI (2.08) with an intro pretty similar to 1.06 (in terms of notes).

</speculation> :P
Old Jun 18, 2015, 05:18 AM

Three reasons why she didn't:

1. In Search of the Rare Item is extremely Hamauzu-styled, and nothing at all like Tanioka.
2. Hamauzu orchestrated it for the arranged album. That's three times Tanioka would have gone uncredited.
3. Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon was published in 1997; Tanioka didn't join Square till a year later.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 08:34 AM

Does the track "Dreams on Wings" a.k.a. "A Dream in Flight" actually appear in the game?