VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 6, 2011, 03:39 PM

Default Sound quality difference between publishers?

Hey guys

This question will probably stir up some sort of debate, but I'm hoping for a simple answer lol...

Do different publishers of the same soundtrack use exactly the same audio master to produce pretty much identical sound quality? Or can there be a difference?

For instance, would the Japanese pressing of THE BOUNCER OST sound different to the domestic TokyoPop pressing? Or would they both sound pretty much the same?

I guess its like asking would a bootleg SOUND inferior to an original pressing?

I understand that data on a CD is digital 1's and 0's - so if it is not compressed by another publisher, it should sound identical to the original....

I'd love to get some clear insight into this. Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2011, 05:45 PM

2 things I know:

There can be differences in audio, and it doesn't have to be between different publishers; it can be the same publisher and producer. At the very least, the mastering is not always the same. For example, the tracks on Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec that are also found on the FINAL FANTASY VIII Original Soundtrack are not exactly the same, even besides just offset.

Bootlegs often just burn the exact audio from the soundtracks onto a CD and screw up the offset, so if the track's offset is adjusted, then it will be identical to the original soundtrack's audio. This is "often" as I haven't seen every bootleg ever created. I'm also not the person to ask if you can "hear a "difference" between one type of CD or another, though I'd guess that even if there is a difference, you can't hear it.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthunder84 View Post

For instance, would the Japanese pressing of THE BOUNCER OST sound different to the domestic TokyoPop pressing? Or would they both sound pretty much the same?
There may very well be some differences in mastering as Hellacia suggests, but I can tell you as an owner of both versions of the Bouncer OST that if there IS a difference, you won't be able to tell. They sound identical.

But really, go with the Japanese release if you can find it for a reasonable price--there's a whole extra disc of music, not to mention an extended Prologue.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:18 PM

Stay away from publishers like Ever Anime and SM Records however... Those guys you definitely CAN hear a difference over an official OST.