VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:58 PM

it's called "Original Soundtrack", but it's rather an Image Album
it has no category in classification for that sort of album that isn't really an ost

or prototype/unused - original work (maybe)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
VGMdb Staff

It was originally released in 2009 according to EMI: http://www.emimusic.jp/artist/st/?id=54991

They seem to be re-releasing it with the same catalog number.

Last edited by cal; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:55 AM

I want to deactivate this entry, since this is an album from the manga. That doesn't necessarily deny a place to stay in VGMdb, but such poor quality (the original submission was missing the front cover and tracklist, and we at least can figure out who are the original composers and the performers by a quick Google search) definitely does. One of our admins also showed a similar view in the past.

Last edited by Cedille; Feb 28, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:20 AM

vgmdb can have movie, radio based albums, but no manga?
if you deactivate that one, deactivate all non-anime, non-vgm albums
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:31 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I want to deactivate this entry, since this is an album from the manga. That doesn't necessarily deny a place to stay in VGMdb, but such poor quality (the original submission was missing the front cover and tracklist, and we at least can figure out who are the original composers and the performers by a quick Google search) definitely does. One of our admins also showed a similar view in the past.
Is the composer info of the reprint (ESCL-3874) accurate? If it's Kanno, then it should be left active (works by notable VGM/anime composer).
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:16 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Is the composer info of the reprint (ESCL-3874) accurate? If it's Kanno, then it should be left active (works by notable VGM/anime composer).
This. I consulted SS about same issue when adding a manga soundtrack composed by Hisaishi (something tennyo) and that was the same response. If this one is Kanno, I would leave it.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
ESCL-3874 isn't a reprint, it's the ost for the coming anime composed by yoko kanno when this one is composed by whoever
I can't be 100% sure but I think this album contains a lot of old famous songs like My Funny Valentine etc.
I think some vgm/anime albums in the past have that sort of featured artists (like Madonna or whoever)

edit: actually, knowing the manga's time period is like in the 60s, it's normal the image album for the manga got tracks from that time (ambience) and characters seem to be fans of jazz

Last edited by Phonograph; Feb 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Music from manga does fall under visual arts, so it could qualify for that reason. It's also "related" to an anime series, which also qualifies it because people who are fans of this particular anime may want to 1) browse available works, and 2) be forewarned that this album does not contain music directly from the anime. If it had been composed by Yoko Kanno (it seems it isn't), that would be a third reason it could qualify for an entry.

But, when I say manga qualifies, that doesn't mean we're ready for blanket coverage of manga albums. We're still adjusting to the addition of anime coverage, and may be working on that for quite some time. Mostly, if we pick up some submissions like this here and there, it's fine.

I also don't mean this as a license for everyone to submit these kinds of entries; I prefer them to be submitted by members who are already good at making thorough and accurate album submission, so typically Trusted Editors and above. The reason for this is as follows: our staff is mostly interested in and knowledgeable about VGM (and to a lesser extent, anime). It is difficult and more time-consuming to evaluate submissions for stuff that's way outside of our expertise, so they end up languishing in the queue until we figure out what to do with them.

So that's where I stand on this, and it probably explains why I seem to have given somewhat different answers in the past.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
vgmdb can have movie, radio based albums, but no manga?
if you deactivate that one, deactivate all non-anime, non-vgm albums
No, they are for the most part valid since the original product is game or anime-based, or share some artists whose discographies we want to complete. Neither of which is the case at this moment. I'd think otherwise if quality of submission were high enough not to damage our standard.

Quote:
This album isn't a reprint and covers mostly main stream songs (that's why composers info is available). I don't know who's the arranger, but if it's Kanno, we'd already have known about it by then.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Music from manga does fall under visual arts, so it could qualify for that reason. It's also "related" to an anime series, which also qualifies it because people who are fans of this particular anime may want to 1) browse available works, and 2) be forewarned that this album does not contain music directly from the anime. If it had been composed by Yoko Kanno (it seems it isn't), that would be a third reason it could qualify for an entry.

But, when I say manga qualifies, that doesn't mean we're ready for blanket coverage of manga albums. We're still adjusting to the addition of anime coverage, and may be working on that for quite some time. Mostly, if we pick up some submissions like this here and there, it's fine.

I also don't mean this as a license for everyone to submit these kinds of entries; I prefer them to be submitted by members who are already good at making thorough and accurate album submission, so typically Trusted Editors and above. The reason for this is as follows: our staff is mostly interested in and knowledgeable about VGM (and to a lesser extent, anime). It is difficult and more time-consuming to evaluate submissions for stuff that's way outside of our expertise, so they end up languishing in the queue until we figure out what to do with them.

So that's where I stand on this, and it probably explains why I seem to have given somewhat different answers in the past.
the reason why I submitted the album is because of yoko kanno being the composer of the anime ost, why?
it's simple, because some people could hear about a previous album related to the manga and thinking there is a link with the anime ost (because manga and anime are in a certain way linked)
so with this in mind, people won't get confused if they want to know more about the whole series (anime and manga)
in case they are only interested in yoko kanno (for example)

on another note, I never intented to submit a lot of image albums, but only in certain cases like this one
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
the reason why I submitted the album is because of yoko kanno being the composer of the anime ost, why?
it's simple, because some people could hear about a previous album related to the manga and thinking there is a link with the anime ost (because manga and anime are in a certain way linked)
so with this in mind, people won't get confused if they want to know more about the whole series (anime and manga)
in case they are only interested in yoko kanno (for example)
I’d agree a good entry could serve the role you're mentioning (and that's why I was talking about quality), but a poor entry with no cover, tracklist, no credit or no description couldn't , and in the worst scenario it could just potentially confuse and misguide users. Considering that Liquid and dancey weren't certain how this album was related to the other album and who was the composer, it's kinda apparent to me which case this entry was.

If this album is kept active, we must add artists info from shops or wikis (I have no over-time works today, so I’ll manage)
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:47 PM

do you really think I could omit something like adding Yoko Kanno in the composer field if she was the composer?
I'd have certainly never omitted that

I have that question in mind for months: are you (vgmdb staff) in a hurry to submit stuff?
if someone submits an album, that must be complete in THE minute or what?
it's not as if the album will disappear or something, tracklists like covers can be submitted later, there's no point in crying about quality at each time an album isn't complete, it's tiresome
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:24 AM
Trusted Editor

This was discussed before Phono. VGMdb is about quality, not quantity.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
do you really think I could omit something like adding Yoko Kanno in the composer field if she was the composer?
I'd have certainly never omitted that
I don't think the name of submitter matters a great deal to most. The name isn't even displayed for unregistered users. I've never seen you make a single mistake in submitting basic info, but even so, I'm not exactly sure if the composer name is omitted for the lack of information, or blatant laziness. If you know the composer isn't Kanno, keeping artist info blank is a very bad way to let others assume who else the composer is, especially if all of the composer breakdown is available by a quick search and we could add them.

Quote:
I have that question in mind for months: are you (vgmdb staff) in a hurry to submit stuff?
if someone submits an album, that must be complete in THE minute or what?
it's not as if the album will disappear or something, tracklists like covers can be submitted later, there's no point in crying about quality at each time an album isn't complete, it's tiresome
"Hurry" has to be the last and exact opposite word to describe how we want to progress. I rather use this specific phrase to refer to those submitting incomplete/poor entries one after another.

As much as I'd like to encourage more public submissions from VGM community as a whole, not only a small group of elitists, we also have to maintain quality which I believe what brings VGMdb where it is. It's unlikely we get every needed information upon the announcement of albums, but for past releases, it's rather easy to gather and compile them. And it's more tiresome to moderate every series of incomplete entries.

Anyway, I added all the artist information, but would appreciate that someone deep in jazz checks them.
Old May 18, 2015, 08:18 AM

btw, someone knows what is the original release?
because it's an imported album (not japanese originally) so that album should be the child of the imported release version (released the same day btw)