VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:45 PM

The Theme of Grandia was one of the tracks that really got me hooked on VGM. The track in conjunction with the opening cinema got me every time. I literally had to watch the movie every time I started my save game. =D

These two discs are made up of a variety of styles heavily influenced from multiple cultures. It's kind of what I like about Iwadare. His tracks often sound out of the ordinary to me, but usually end up quite good. First disc is orchestrated and second is synthesized.

Sandy Beach of Ganbo is gorgeous. Farewell to Sue is a grower contributing some great melancholy. Mullen's militaristic and addictive sound does wonders. Ghost Ship just screams epic and constantly is striving for its climax even though it kind of just drops off. Good nonetheless.

The second part of the soundtrack isn't nearly as good. New Palm is a great town theme. I love Duel with Gadwin with its out of the ordinary western feel. The irish sounding Snow Town =D And Stand and Rise Justin is fun and love the melody. Other then that on the second disc there is not much to note.

I would love to hear from those with a musical background. As I know nothing about composing or the multitude of instrumental sounds that Iwadare seems to use. This album just seems very unique and I know of nothing that sounds anything like it.

Last edited by BahamutZ; Apr 17, 2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:46 PM

I changed disc 2 track 3 to Lilly's Seagull Restaurant. It is her restaurant and I believe it's called this formally in the game at some point too, though it's been eons since I've played it (maybe when you walk in it gives the area's name, or if you save inside you can see it when you go to load your file).

Also, the last track is a little redundant. Stand AND Rise? It should either be Stand Up or Rise Up. Neither one of those seems to be uncommon.

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 18, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

2.03 うみねこ亭のリリィ/"Lilly of the Seagull Restaurant" is what translates to me. The main noun here is Lilly, not the restaurant.
"Lilly's Seagull Restaurant" would be リリィのうみねこ亭 imo.

1.07 アレントの美少女/"Nymph in Alent" was translated officially like that in some later ost, even if it literally is "The Beautiful Girl in Alent". I'd favor the former (it was changed recently).

2.14, I can't really comment on that.

Other terms I revised some time ago use official translations, or the US names where appropriate (afaik).
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
The main noun here is Lilly, not the restaurant.
This I don't understand. の is possessive. うみねこ亭 is (basically) Seagull Restaurant and リリィ is Lilly. So, it's quite literally "Lilly's Seagull Restaurant", and it matches up with the game anyway. Look, I don't know THAT much about Japanese and I'm not saying your translation is wrong. Actually I know that this can be translated as "Lilly of the Seagull Restaurant". It just makes far more sense to me to translate it the other way.

Quote:
1.07 アレントの美少女/"Nymph in Alent" was translated officially like that in some later ost, even if it literally is "The Beautiful Girl in Alent". I'd favor the former (it was changed recently).
Ah, so that's where that comes from (some other CD). I really dislike this title, but hey, what can ya do.

Oh, and thanks for deciding on one of the Stand/Rise Up translations, seanne

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 19, 2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor

の is not quite a simple possessive but more like a "noun joiner/modifier" --a 'noun complement' (is that how you call it in English?). So AのB, A 'modifies' (gives characteristics to) B. The translation depends on the nouns (and context).
- Textbook example: "ともだちの田中は..." = "(my) friend Tanaka is ..." ("(oneself's) friend's Tanaka" if you will), not "Tanaka's friend is" as may look if you think it as a simple possessive and ignore the A-B order.

Basic exs to hopefully clarify it (A's B / B of A order)
2.03 うみねこ亭のリリィ (A=place, B=person): Seagull Restaurant's Lilly, Lilly of the Seagull Restaurant.
1.02 ガンボの砂浜 (A/B=places): Gunbo's Beach, Beach of Gunbo (not Beach's Gunbo, right?)
1.21 ルクの村 (A=name/attribute, B=place): Village of Luc / Luc Village (as an attribute we can drop the "'s" / "of" joiners).
1.13 雪の村 (A=characteristic, B=place): Village of Snow (if seen as "made of snow") OR Yuki's Village (if 雪=Yuki=person's name) OR Snow Village (if it is "snowy" > more likely...).
Finally リリィのうみねこ亭 (A=person, B=place): Lilly's Seagull Restaurant, Seagull Restaurant of Lilly (possession).
(but remember I'm just a measly student of Japanese so that's just my take).

Nymph I agree it sound off buy hey. I checked and it was in Grandia Online, actually was "Nymph in Arendt" so dunno what to do now
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:55 AM

Hahaha, I switched them around. You couldn't make a dumber mistake than that. Well, depending on how you feel about going strictly with the localization names for tracks then, you can put 203 to what you feel we should use. Thanks for walking me through that, still can't believe I made that mistake. I swear to you I know more than THAT...

And yeah, if you wanna sync these tracks up using Nymph, I totally agree. Sure they're kana translations are just pretty bad (Enjule? Seriously?) but it's not like Nymph makes no sense at all. It makes a little.

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 19, 2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:11 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
2.03 うみねこ亭のリリィ/"Lilly of the Seagull Restaurant" is what translates to me. The main noun here is Lilly, not the restaurant.
I agree with that. I can't remember, but I think this track was more of a reoccurring character motif for Lilly anyways? (i.e, it didn't only play when in the restaurant).

Quote:
Oh, I thought that was some hilarious old mistranslation, sorry about that ;p I guess we should use Nymph, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Oh, and thanks for deciding on one of the Stand/Rise Up translations, seanne
No problem ;p Not sure if it's the best though, since the original title is somewhat ambiguous and I can't remember if it was used during a specific in-game event or not.

Still, it's good that we are finally clearing up these old Grandia entries.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfy5U...ailpage#t=335s

I know the question is more about it being her theme or not when she shows up, however For the English version of the game, entering the restaurant it does say "Lilly's Seagull Restaurant" However you also only ever have actions with her in the restaurant so is debatable.

Nymph isn't so bad of a title, I assume it uses both meanings
nymph/nimf/
Noun:
A mythological spirit of nature imagined as a beautiful maiden inhabiting rivers, woods, or other locations.
A beautiful young woman.

Liete is I guess beautiful and looks young, however she is an icarian and thus is kind of "a spirit of nature" hence the spirit stones and gaia, and being of alent/ardent is because that is where she lives and waits for the party to come. Plus her super natural powers of making clone like things.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:32 PM

Dag's right about the literal translation of Seagull Restaurant. However, seeing that we're going with things like "Warp Space" in the second volume of this soundtrack, I still think Lilly's Seagull Restaurant is good because it follows using localization, and it's not at all a far stretch from the actual translation (in fact it's close enough for someone like me to bumble it up ).

I wouldn't debate the Nymph one much since it's probably a good idea to keep things consistent across releases. That would be the kind of thing where someone updating their Grandia collection tags these two songs in the same day and then says "Hey, those crazies at VGMdb need to update their translations." I think the word "nymph" is just kinda... bleh... but then I can think a lot of titles are bleh and it doesn't really matter what I think, does it

As for Rise Up, Justin!, it's actually used for road themes, I believe. I never made it very far in this game but I think the first area, something like Marna Road, plays a part of that song on a loop, skipping the intro but looping before it gets really into it. I'm not sure if there's some quote a character says somewhere that the intro is played perhaps, but at least we've got something in there for now. If a Grandia expert can correct us, please do.

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 20, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:20 PM

For rise up justin I think it comes from here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...88TjW09U#t=61s

The part where Justin saves Feena from marrying Pakon and right before Mr. Chang jumps down to fight.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:57 AM

Ah, okay. So, no real quote or anything. Guess we'll go with what we have then. Thanks, always wondered about that, but I haven't played games in so long and don't think I'll get back into it, so I'll never get around to finishing this game.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:50 PM

Welcome, if I remember correctly that part is maybe about 1/4th or 1/5th of the way through the game.

I think the point of the title is telling Justin he has to "stand up" for what he believes or the woman he loves or some other sappy attachment, the rise part might be because Mr. Chang there 1 punch K.O'd him in an earlier encounter.

Or it could just be telling him to be a man instead of the boy he has been thus far.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:36 AM

If either four tensions of beautiful girl are going to be changed, don't forget to mimic the change here http://vgmdb.net/album/474
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:18 AM

Oh wait, we went with Beautiful Girl? I'm totally confused XD
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:45 PM

Changes
Disc 1
02 The Sandy Beaches of Gumbo
07 Nymph in Alent
Disc 2
07 Duel With Gadwin
13 Snowy Laine Village
14 Stand Up! Justin or Justin, Stand Up!

Reasoning
Disc 1
02 A single beach for the town sounds odd when read.
07 It was shown as Dag mentioned on the Grandia Online album, of course localized still.
Disc 2
07 Justin Challenges Gadwin to a duel in both the text and voice over
13 Keeps Village at the end like Dight, and still mentions the snow
14 stand up sounds better since he is "standing up" for what he believes in, not rising up.

Last edited by Fearin; Jul 14, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:39 AM

....Googgle translate says "Get your ass up Justin". No lie.

So....a lot of the tracks on BOTH Grandia OSTs sound like they might have some real instruments, though they aren't quite the same sound as the full orchestra tracks. But on top of THAT, despite being on the 'orchestra side', both 'Mirage Castle' and 'Approaching Crisis' sound synth. I want to say that Nymph of Alent as well does, outside of the voice. There's also some uncredited voices on Gumbo Festival.

There's some liner notes in the first OST, and perhaps more importantly int he second one (and probably any info about it should go there...) there's a track by track analysis. Anyone want to tackle any of this info to see if we can't get some things credited better?

Last edited by TerraEpon; Jan 15, 2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
....Googgle translate says "Get your ass up Justin". No lie.
Is it just me, or has Google Translate managed to get even worse in the last year or so?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:46 AM

It has, it used to be a lot less nonsensical. :\
Old Jun 3, 2017, 01:23 PM

Has there ever been a discussion about the other Twofive composers involved?

In the game's staff roll, the music is credited as follows:

Quote:
MUSIC COMPOSERS :
TWO FIVE, LTD.
ISAO MIZOGUCHI
HIROSHI HORIGUCHI
HITOMI MATSUKI
Given the presence of so many "mini" BGM in the game--short loops used in many field/dungeon/event scenes--this isn't terribly surprising.

Mizoguchi, of course, worked with Iwadare since forever, so it's not unusual to see him here. Horiguchi, however, appears to only have ever been a performer (drums). And there appears to be no information at all about Matsuki except that he was part of Twofive.

But why isn't Iwadare's name listed at all? Maybe the other three weren't yet part of Twofive?

Later, there's also an additional music credit until localization, though I can't fathom what it's for:
Quote:
LOCALIZATION STAFF :
MUSIC
ARI KAMUYO ___________ YUTAKA IRAHA
On an unrelated note, I'm finally pleased to have beaten this game. The last battle was brutal and delayed my beating the game for several months.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 03:16 PM

Has Iwadare always been part of Two Five or only for specific times? Usually if a company is mentioned first the role's management is outsourced to them, and usually employees that leave a company during development aren't credited by them anymore.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 08:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
But why isn't Iwadare's name listed at all?
Iwadare is credited in the opening credits ("composition" JP / "composer" US), so he's not left out of the game altogether. No idea why he isn't in the end credits though, he wasn't in the original Saturn end credits either.

Quote:
Has there ever been a discussion about the other Twofive composers involved?
In the JP staff roll, their credit is for music production generically (音楽製作), so it's possible they didn't necessarily compose and did something like programming.

Quote:
Later, there's also an additional music credit until localization, though I can't fathom what it's for
In the Japanese PS1 staff roll, that extra credit for Ari Kamijyo and Yutaka Iraha is in the Saturn->PS1 porting staff (that header is left out of the US credits, thanks!), and it's for sound generically (音響).