VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:39 PM

Oh hello there, new Sonic album. Hopefully this will be the first of many "20th Anniversary Edition" Sonic soundtrack releases from Sega this year.

Let's gradually lead up to something along the lines of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG Original Mega Drive Soundtracks 20th Anniversary Edition, okay Sega?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:10 PM

You hear that, Sonic The Hedgehog?
That is the sound of inevitability...

I know it's coming... Come on, just a little more.

Did anyone else notice the single catalogue number? Could this hint to a single disc compilation sort of disc?

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:17 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Do KeyLogic's eyes deceive him? Is this really a reprint of SA "Digi-LOG Conversation" OST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing View Post
Did anyone else notice the single catalogue number? Could this hint to a single disc compilation sort of disc?
Maybe not. Don't SA 1 and SA 2 OST have a single catalog number even though they are both 2-disc? Speaking of which, this gives hope for a reprint of SA 2 OST multi-dimensional!

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:39 PM

@KeyLogic @Kewing
Kewing's right. The WWCE albums have been consistently accurate in assigning a single catalouge # per disc. The MJCA albums have their own set of rules.

Think of this as the 1-disc US soundtrack for Sonic Adventure that never was.

And as for the Mega Drive Collection, True Blue (Angel Island Zone), True Colors (Sonic 3 MegaD Mix) and the Sonic '06 OST (Mission Clear) are all fairly good indicators that they won't provide Sonic 3 composition credits simply because the information it isn't immediately available to them. If anything, any kind of release of the Sonic Advance trilogy [or rather, just a successful e-mail confirmation] would be more beneficial in the long run.

Not only that, but didn't Jun say something somewhere along the lines of not rereleasing anything from Sonic Adventure up?

Lowered expectatiooooooooooons.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 10, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:23 PM

I was excited about this until I saw this will only be 1 disc... Are they that cheap?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:06 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Only...one?
*sigh* + *face palm* = *disappointment* -_-
That would explain the price too.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:36 AM

Odds are Open Your Heart and It Doesn't Matter will be included (and possibly even more vocal tracks). So I would imagine that there will be about 60 minutes or less of the original 2 discs that each had 70+ minutes on them... What a shame.

Last edited by Mindphlux; Feb 11, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:32 PM

What's wrong with SEGA? For 20 years we've been waiting for Sonic OST's from the original series and we get this; like the SA OST isn't incomplete enough and cut in an odd way, we now get a "best of" release. Shame on you SEGA.

With all the past WaveMaster releases of music from the Mega Drive, one would hope that the OST's we've been waiting for so long will be released, although I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only music item we'll get for the 20th anniversary.

WaveMaster should release at least a 20-disc set, if they were able to make those OutRun and After Burner sets which basically have the same 4 songs in different versions, I don't see why they can't release it for Sonic. They should learn from Konami (and their mistakes too, it was a mistake not to re-master Akumajo Densetsu, Vampire Killer and PS Dracula X).
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuxer View Post
What's wrong with SEGA? For 20 years we've been waiting for Sonic OST's from the original series and we get this; like the SA OST isn't incomplete enough and cut in an odd way, we now get a "best of" release. Shame on you SEGA.

With all the past WaveMaster releases of music from the Mega Drive, one would hope that the OST's we've been waiting for so long will be released, although I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only music item we'll get for the 20th anniversary.
I think you might be jumping out at conclusions too early. I'm convinced this won't be the only album to be released (on april already?); they will most surely release other related albums throughout the following months leading up to the grand finale in june.
That said, not reprinting the full soundtrack is a bad and inexcusable move. It's not like they would have licensing problems with it or anything (I'd understand for Sonic 3 with the blurry MJ credits stuff, but not this one). I'm guessing they will release SA2 as well, probably also summed up, and maybe Heroes, but I don't think they will reprint any other recent ones.

Indeed a box ala OutRun would be just too much for my heart to handle. Just imagine: Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, 3D, CD and the relevant GG/MS versions. If they could do it with After Burner and OutRun, I'm sure they can here too. I only hope that the music from Sonic 3 supposedly done by the MJ team doesn't derive into any kind of licensing problem, like in the Daytona Box.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:22 PM

They could possibly redeem themselves with a complete release of SA 2 OST, since KeyLogic prefers that one over SA 1 OST, but it seems unlikely that will happen now.

Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:02 PM

As I recall, a remake of "Escape from the City" is confirmed for the soundtrack and I remember Jun and Johnny saying that Crush 40 is working with WaveMaster in conjuction with Sega for anniversary purposes.

Surprise, re-recorded vocal tracks. I wonder if they can make Knuckles' themes any better... :P
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXAshram View Post
I wonder if they can make Knuckles' themes any better... :P
Only if they rewrite them entirely, I'm sure.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:00 PM

In more recent news, CDJapan is selling this album; I've added a link to the page where you can preorder it.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:23 PM

----------

Last edited by Calatia; Jun 5, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I guess they're referring to the release of the first Sonic game.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing View Post
I only hope that the music from Sonic 3 supposedly done by the MJ team doesn't derive into any kind of licensing problem, like in the Daytona Box.
I'd be more worried about Sonic 1 & 2, Masato Nakamura might want a piece of the cake. Since MJ supposedly ordered that he won´t be credited for the music because he was dissapointed, I don't think there will be any problems, it was credited to a company called Opus and H Drossin, as I can recall.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 09:18 AM

Yeah, I think a lot of people forget that Masato Nakamura owns the rights to all of his music from Sonic 1 and 2. Releasing them on an album in their entirety could be quite costly for Sega.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:41 PM

Yeah, I bet it cost them a fortune even for the dumbed-down versions of Sonic 1 and 2's Boss Theme when they used it in Sonic Advance.

I wonder when an album cover is gonna come out for this. That and a track list would be nice.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 08:49 AM

According to CDJapan, the release has been postponed.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:34 PM

Could be due to the recent happenings in Japan.