VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 30, 2019, 09:36 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
I wish they would cover more unknown games, which aren't that popular like others. Always there will be fan favorites like Final Fantasy, Xenogears, or Chrono Trigger. The music isn't bad, by all means, but they've been covered that much in the past and future (Xenogears already has a brand new concert), which makes games like Suikoden simply be overlooked, which is such a shame.

Why not covering Street Fighter 2, Castlevania, Grandia, Vagrant Story or more Mario music. Even Enix back than had gems on the SNES like Rudra's Hidden Treasure (R. Sasai) or Mystic Ark (A. Mori), which are sadly only known for Japanese audience, but had incredible soundtracks. But exactly that's the problem - they're unknown by most of the people and those are not willing to support a project they're unfamiliar with
If they've only moved 800 units from the Kickstarter for Suikoden and need to break 3000 for them to financially justify doing a Suikoden 1 album, it's going to be pretty difficult for them to do any obscure titles.

I would love to see it, too, but if you want to see them, the best thing you can do is support them by purchasing an album. And get more people to do the same.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

At least Suikoden II music is having a bit of a revival right now in Japan. There's been numerous orchestral concerts in the last few months. I think they should be able to sell some copies over there. Hopefully Amazon doesn't screw them over.

They should definitely sell it on all the digital music platforms too, considering digital is more popular in western countries.
Old May 30, 2019, 05:04 PM

Hi!
VGM Classics is of course pursuing possibilities to feature minor but great video game as I listed on #16. Of course, it has to be doable in business-wise, so as a label, it must consider to build a solid repertoire first to be able to feature minor games.
Unfortunately, some companies do not want us to go the crowd-funding route thinking it might be a bad publicity if it failed. So, we just can't put the minor game onto Kickstarter and "see-if-it-reaches-its-goal-or-not."

As far as the digital distribution goes, VGM Classics can do it, but it probably might not be able to use so-called popular platforms like Amazon or iTunes. Streaming is currently "no." This is due to the license agreement.

Again, thank you very much for all who have written ideas on this thread. VGM Classics and I have tremendous respects to you and your labor of love given to this site and database.
Old May 31, 2019, 03:33 AM
Trusted Editor

And I have tremendous respect for what you are managing to realize there! As mentioned by nextday on the album discussion the turnaround time of 8 months from funding to shipment is pretty good and should help you with future endeavors, so advertise that.

Personally I wonder if it were possible to do some kind of Kickstarter without time limits, i.e. gather the amount of interests in all possible projects and only start actually working on them once a specific amount is passed. So if a project needs 3000 pledges to break even actual work on it would only start once that amount of interest is reached. (I'm aware this may make a lot of niche projects unlikely to be realized. But this way it's transparent for everybody to see which allows additional word of mouth to gather over time. And there is no danger to failure like it's with time limited Kickstarter projects where it's all or nothing which indeed can be a publicity issue.)
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:02 PM

This is not VGM Classics related, however, we are please to be informed that SQEX is putting out official Chrono Trigger and Chrono Chross orchestra concert (and most likely a recording!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxdeHfWlMtA
Old Jul 24, 2019, 07:49 PM
VGMdb Staff

New project coming soon
Quote:
Our music director just had a meeting with certain right holders of video game music, and a contract detail negotiation has begun. So, we should be able to announce our next project shortly.

As far as "Suikoden 1" project goes, we will have a meeting with the right holders once we get a final sales report from our partner digital download and streaming platforms. But internally, we are committed to do the project. It is a matter of when and how, to be honest (we may start the production without crowd funding, and use it as a “pre-order” for CD only etc…) Anyway, we should have a clear picture in a month or two when we get the report!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2552060
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:42 PM
VGMdb Staff

After a 2nd meeting with the rights-holders, they were able to close the contract for their next project. Music from a certain RPG game.
Quote:
Another meeting has finished! Expect more video game orchestral projects from us in 2020!
昨日、とあるRPGゲーム作品の権利者の皆様と契約の詰めに向かう2回目のミーティングが行われました。2 020年はさらに多くの音楽をオーケストラ録音できるよう着々と準備中です!お楽しみに!
https://twitter.com/VGMClassics/stat...37146475810816