VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:18 PM

it's not because FFVIII OST has a stupid space in odekake that it means that all odekake must be written as FFVIII OST's

(I left "ukule le" and "fina le" but seriously I was tempted to change it too -because it's stupid in the way it is)
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I thought is was a cute pun (whatever de chocobo -> whate ver chocobo).

But why not translate odekake instead?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:55 PM

it's not the name for a game? (odekake chocobo)

Last edited by Phonograph; Jul 12, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:03 AM

actually, I stuck Ukele le and Fina le, seriously it sounds so retarded when it's not stuck

for odekake chocobo, I think of "Sortie de Chocobo"
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
actually, I stuck Ukele le and Fina le, seriously it sounds so retarded when it's not stuck
But doesn't that disagree with the Japanese track list since it explicitly includes the spaces?

"ウクレ・le・チョコボ" and "フィナー・le・チョコボ" respectively.

I know it looks odd, but it has become the Chocobo naming convention.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:35 PM

Seriously Phonograph, it's like Dag said... it's a pun. Techno de Chocobo, Syncho de Chocobo, Mods de Chocobo, Aloha de Chocobo, Brass de Chocobo... it's all ____ de Chocobo. So, when they decided to name it with something that was more or less a real word, they split the real word so that it would keep the naming tradition. Odeka ke Chocobo. Ukele le Chocobo.

It's very intentional that they're split, and also... really, changing it just because you think it looks bad? Didn't think we did that around here. I think plenty of the capitalization used in song names is retarded, not to mention all the Engrish on Motoi Sakuraba's albums, and I don't go around changing any of that because I don't like the way it looks.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:57 PM

very well, so if one follows that "logic", why the "odekake chocobo" track isn't "おでか・ke・チョコボ" or "ODEKA ke Chocobo" (FFVIII) ?

edit: note that the US album of FFIX has ukelele de chocobo, not ukele le chocobo (I don't know if itunes is supposed to be official tho)
when you know there is localization use in the db, I could find surprising it's not used for the very tracklist

Last edited by Phonograph; Jul 12, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I changed it back to "Ukule le" and "Fina le" because it was the clear intent (as indicated on the Japanese tracklist by the separator character.)

No separator is present on the Odekake, so I left it as it is.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I changed it back to "Ukule le" and "Fina le" because it was the clear intent (as indicated on the Japanese tracklist by the separator character.)

No separator is present on the Odekake, so I left it as it is.
sorry if I seem to be persistent, but it's not always true
you can have a separator and no space for the english/romanization
if you want an example, watch the front cover or disc of "metroid prime and fusion" and its obi
you will see it's "original soundtracks" on the cover and "original sound tracks" written in katakana on the obi

so if it's possible for an album title, it can be possible in general like for tracknames (I don't deny the pun, in order to be clear and I don't think I can find a tracklist in jp and en for getting more examples)
the one thing I agree is there is a "<whatever> de chocobo" scheme used for a lot of ff ost, I just find awkward to try using it for simple word like ukulele when it'll be simpler (and consistent) to use the "<whatever> de chocobo" like tokyopop did for its ffix best selection, that's all

on another note, a lot of albums have no separator between "original" and "soundtrack" and till now I've never seen anybody writing "originalsoundtrack" (for instance, also true for tracknames etc)
even some vgmdb staff wrote "original soundtrack" when there is a interpunct between sound and track, so don't be too hard on me please

Last edited by Phonograph; Jul 12, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:15 PM

To be honest I hadn't thought of the inconsistent usage of interpuncts in the Japanese characters for "original soundtrack", and it's a good point. I guess that makes it harder to say "it was done that way in Japanese so it should be done that way in English".

My main argument was that ____ de Chocobo is a naming tradition, especially when written in English in the liner notes of the soundtracks themselves. Take, for example, FFVI's OST: it writes the song names in both English and Japanese. In English, it is Techno de Chocobo, but in Japanese it's テクノdeチョコボ. FFX writes ブラスdeチョコボ, also with no interpuncts. Yet FFIX writes アロハ・de・チョコボ and ウクレ・le・チョコボ. The only thing that seemed clear to me was that, when written in English, it had always explicitly been ____ de Chocobo whether the interpunct was used in Japanese or not, such as the way FFVIII wrote Mods de Chocobo and Odeka ke Chocobo.

*shrugs*
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:18 PM

actually, it's not a tradition

it's the way to write chocobo themes for uematsu albums, sakimoto (ffxii) and matsueda/eguchi (ffx-2) had just chocobo and hamauzu (ffxiii) had chocobos de xxx
and if I follow that logic and if ff type-0 has a chocobo theme, so you could bet the name will be different (since it's a different composer for that one)

(note that that could also be the same for ff vs xiii -but as dark as the game seems to be, I wonder if there will be chocobos)
Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
it's the way to write chocobo themes for uematsu albums, sakimoto (ffxii) and matsueda/eguchi (ffx-2) had just chocobo and hamauzu (ffxiii) had chocobos de xxx
Actually, Hamauzu had "XXX de Chocobo(s)", which is indeed Uematsu's favored ordering. The plural is not specified, but that's not unusual in Japanese. (パルスdeチョコボ and コクーンdeチョコボ ~夢をみようよII~)
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:37 AM

are you aware I was speaking about the english version that is written below the japanese version in the booklet or wher'ever it is?

I know the japanese ver has the "traditional" chocobo phrasing
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:39 AM

The English version didn't have "de" at all, though. It used "Chocobos of XXX", which is a different matter entirely. Also, the translations for the FFXIII OST were awkward at times (Defiers of Fate, in particular, sounds awful), so I personally ignore them.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:13 AM

ah yeah it's just, it's chocobos of xxx
so accustomed to see "x de x" that I didn't pay attention