Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Antonio Falcon View Post
Can I post links here?
Links for what..?
Have in mind that we'r not accepting links to any kind of copyrighted material.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Just curious on the station's status, have you managed to add all the local albums you had available?
I actually have a decent handful more to add. I have unfortunately just been busy with working two jobs, one of them being MAGFest. The other job is a database job where I sit around calling people all day but lately I have been doing cleanup work that doesn't require as many calls and I got permission to listen to music after hours (the computers don't have sound, so my cellphone and a pair of headphones will have to do!). That way I can verify more albums (I listen to everything that goes up on the air to make sure there aren't any skips).

Anything you see on the MAGradio collection that isn't inside the folder has been added since my last update/posting, so I am still getting a few things done in this department. I've had offers to help verify albums, but:
- I actually enjoy listening to the soundtracks
- I have to tag and prepare them for air with the station
- There is still a possibility of error when transmitting them to someone to help

One thing that I will be implementing soon is new code that will interface with a feature GigaBlah wrote.... the radio will be able to automatically add albums to the playlist itself when they're placed in the right directory on my end. A few less clicks for me gives me more time to do what's important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Has there been any issues of too many requests at time or any types of overloads?
In terms of listeners, we are definitely not overloaded. We have had a few dozen listeners at a time and it doesn't cause a problem. Keep in mind that although the computer that *runs* the radio is on a regular everyday internet connection, the machine with icecast is a beefy server in DC, so it's no big deal if a bunch of people tune in. We don't get a lot of people that listen all day but we do get a lot of people that will tune in to hear their request and/or listen for an hour here or there. I'm guessing the number of total unique listeners per day is nearing 100 by now.

Requests aren't overloading either, but every once in awhile someone (probably) uses something like DownThemAll in an effort to spider-download each listen link on the album page and suddenly we'll get a barrage of requests to basically hear an entire album. I already have some throttling in place and I have some ideas of how to implement things to more fairly play requests. Many of these will probably get implemented next month when I have a little more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Antonio Falcon View Post
Can I post links here?
Links for what..?
Have in mind that we'r not accepting links to any kind of copyrighted material
Indeed. If you're posting links to album pages of stuff for me to choose from or something, that's terrific, but otherwise these need to be physical copies of albums or something we have explicit permission to air (a la what Falcom is doing).

As an aside, I thought people might find this a little bit interesting. At first I thought my donation request might be a little out of line, but it's generated a little bit of response, which is cool.

For example:
- VGM composers like Josh Whelchel have been listening to the stream and offered music.
- Some doujin/fan artists (especially OC ReMix and bands that play at MAGFest) are pretty happy to see music on the stream and will send me discs.
- Some news sites, music4games and originalsoundversion to name a couple, have offered us some of their older review copies and/or additional promo material.

I also figured we might get a few offers from:
- labels that want to promote some of their music (indeed, we do have a few discs from Sumthing Else)
- people that wanted their old VGM albums to go to a good home but didn't want to bother with selling them, or were already selling them for like a dollar (one or two bites, nothing significant here).

And lastly, Eirikr has been a valuable source in getting this thing off the ground. Last year we even had a few computer setups at MAGFest with earphones so you could sit down and listen to music and browse the CD art. Definitely nice.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:55 AM

I see. Then you have permission to do what you're doing, right?

Last edited by Captain Antonio Falcon; Jul 16, 2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:35 AM

Yes, we always ask if we can air music before we do when it's given to us. But I'm finding that things work the other way around a lot of the time; it's given to us with the hopes that it will get played.

Either way, even though you've edited it out, using GH is not an option for me. I'm very much aware of it but MP3s are not suitable material for the radio. It must be a lossless, (hopefully) physical copy to be considered for air, and also MP3 does not transcode (or even re-encode) well.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:19 AM

Just an update...we've broken the 300 CD mark. That's currently 235 actual releases available for listening or 7100 tracks on the playlist. Thanks to everyone supporting us.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:52 AM

Today is a pretty awesome day.

Stemage said that I am allowed to put five of the tracks of the new unreleased Metroid Metal Varia Suite up for listening. Since there is no way to make only specific tracks of an album requestable at present, we've decided to make it a "game" of sorts. People will have to guess which tracks are available and request the right one. This could potentially cause a little bit of frustration but we hope everyone sees it as fun instead.

If the right track is requested, everything happens as it normally does. So, you're listening to the radio, the track comes up in the order requested, etc.

If one of the unavailable tracks is requested, it just....won't play.

But wait! Don't just go requesting the entire CD. Requests are throttled, and the radio keeps track of the most recently requested tracks, so people will need to request tracks other than the Varia Suite once the tracks have been aired so they will get pushed out of that "recent" list and be requestable again. This is to encourage people to:
- actually try out the feature
- keep listening to the radio
- listen to various different CDs, not just metroid metal (there's a decent handful of metroid-related material on the station if you need to get a fix)

After a little while, the entire CD will be available, or more tracks will become available each X weeks, or something.

Don't forget you can watch the radio playlist here.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:02 AM

Just so people know, the tracks available on ze radio for Metroid Metal - Varia Suite are:

Theme (NES)
Phendrana Drifts (MP)
Boss Medley (SM)
Item Room (NES)
Kraid (NES)
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemage View Post
Just so people know, the tracks available on ze radio for Metroid Metal - Varia Suite are:

Theme (NES)
Phendrana Drifts (MP)
Boss Medley (SM)
Item Room (NES)
Kraid (NES)
ZOMG SPOILERS!@
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:49 AM

Bugfix: If anyone was requesting tracks from a CD that doesn't have a catalog number and got the same track from a completely different CD, yeah, whoops. I didn't notice VGMdb reports a null string instead of "N/A" to the radio station on some no-catalog requests. I was depending on it being specifically that to switch gears and drill down to which CD was being requested. More tolerant requesting now.

I've recently been able to add a couple dozen more CDs to the radio, breaking 7500 tracks and 260 releases. Feels good. Lots more to come now that MAGFest has passed.

Last edited by MAGradio; Feb 8, 2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:55 AM

Tonight's the night.

300 releases now requestable. Over 8500 tracks. The folders got merged for anyone that found that confusing (I had a reason for that, but not any more). Hope everyone likes the additions!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:12 AM

is the radio alive? where to listen to it?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:44 PM

Can the staff eliminate the radio feature on all albums as its no longer supported.