VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

That album was revealed in the pamphlet of Yasunori Mitsuda's anniversary concert, this weekend in Japan.

Produced by Mitsuda, featuring the "Millennial Fair".

https://twitter.com/tomatogumi2/stat...41611365961728
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:25 AM
Trusted Editor

So, is this the looong waited Chrono Cross arrange album, with some CT stuff? Or is that still a different project?

But can't wait especially if it's even close to the quality of CREID.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
So, is this the looong waited Chrono Cross arrange album, with some CT stuff? Or is that still a different project?
It's gotta be.. finally!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh man, Millennial Fair arranges? YEEEES!

I hope it's more CC than CT, though I'm happy to see some interesting medleys (I know CC had a few CT melodies in it already).

This is so exciting. The time has finally come.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:

But can't wait especially if it's even close to the quality of CREID.
what I said on irc, 2 days ago ;p
> it's not what mitsuda wanted/had spoken of a while ago?
> if it could be like creid
Old Jul 28, 2015, 04:21 AM

*grown man tears*
Old Jul 28, 2015, 08:44 AM

Oh my!! The legend lives!! I'm so happy now!! I had already lost hopes... sorry sorry Mitsuda-san!! *tears tears*
Pls take my money!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 05:02 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Laura Shigihara's working on this.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 07:12 AM
Trusted Editor

So, is it confirmed that this is going to be the realization of the longtime-in-limbo arrange album?

If that's the case, then consider me disappointed. Wasn't the album supposed to be an arrange album specific to the Chrono Cross game? I don't really see the need to cover CT here, especially since CC has such an abundance of interesting (from an arranging perspective) tracks. There's so much material here that simply needs to be arranged/remixed/reinterpreted -- in particular when taking into account that they're going with the celtic approach again (which I extrapolate from the announcement). I mean the material is just perfect for that. Take e.g. "Termina: Another" or "Marbule: Home" and imagine an interpretation in the style of Lahan from CREID -- how awesome would that be?

And while I see that covering the entire OST is impossible for an arrange album and that you have to make a selection of some sort, I just can't understand why you would want to do this split.

Also we already have an 'official' CT arrange album, which is The Brink of Time. IMHO the focus should be solely on CC here, since this is the one that is often overlooked (which I guess is due to the game, not the music).

The only reason I see for doing this split thingy is that mentioning CT generates sales.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:36 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
If that's the case, then consider me disappointed. Wasn't the album supposed to be an arrange album specific to the Chrono Cross game? I don't really see the need to cover CT here, especially since CC has such an abundance of interesting (from an arranging perspective) tracks. There's so much material here that simply needs to be arranged/remixed/reinterpreted -- in particular when taking into account that they're going with the celtic approach again (which I extrapolate from the announcement). I mean the material is just perfect for that. Take e.g. "Termina: Another" or "Marbule: Home" and imagine an interpretation in the style of Lahan from CREID -- how awesome would that be?

And while I see that covering the entire OST is impossible for an arrange album and that you have to make a selection of some sort, I just can't understand why you would want to do this split.

Also we already have an 'official' CT arrange album, which is The Brink of Time. IMHO the focus should be solely on CC here, since this is the one that is often overlooked (which I guess is due to the game, not the music).

The only reason I see for doing this split thingy is that mentioning CT generates sales.
Or could be that Mitsuda realized that Cross doesn't have much good tracks so he needed to bring Trigger to the party too. :P

(and will fun to see the meltdowns if this album is horrible, but I really do hope it won't be)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 01:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Or could be that Mitsuda realized that Cross doesn't have much good tracks so he needed to bring Trigger to the party too. :P

(and will fun to see the meltdowns if this album is horrible, but I really do hope it won't be)
1) I should hope Mitsuda didn't "realize" / think that. I could easily hand-select 15 songs from the Cross OST that Millennial Fair could work wonders with...

2) if this album is horrible, the meltdowns will not be fun. MY meltdown will not be fun.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:13 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
1) I should hope Mitsuda didn't "realize" / think that. I could easily hand-select 15 songs from the Cross OST that Millennial Fair could work wonders with...

2) if this album is horrible, the meltdowns will not be fun. MY meltdown will not be fun.
1) I was joking with the stuff, better choice would have been double disc album, one disc for Trigger, and second for Cross
2) OH, I will enjoy every meltdown people will have, even my own. :D As I'm excepting this to be CREID-quality.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 03:13 PM

expecting creid quality?
it's like expecting the mitsuda of 1998 without counting the experience and "maturity" he got between 1998 and now

I doubt that arrange album will be like creid, even if such an album could be good
personally, I find that that album comes too late, much too late (it'd have had sense if it had been released 15 years ago)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Isn't it too early to start complaining?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 08:07 AM

I am soooo looking forward to this. In a perfect world, this would also have a vinyl release but I take what I can get.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 01:31 AM

Edited.

Sorry my dumbness.

Last edited by VyseLegend; Aug 5, 2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 03:32 AM

I suspect this album will be good, but I also suspect it will not satisfy a lot of people who waited over a decade for an official Chrono Cross arrangement. Expectations are probably too high to meet at this point. Me personally, give me 10-12 tracks of Chrono CREID and I'll be satisfied.

Fun note: They mentioned the album on Summer Games Done Quick, during the final Chrono Trigger speedrun. So around 100,000 people all learned about it in one shot.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 04:51 AM

Thinking all 100,000 were actually watching or at least listening at the time. That's cute.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 06:12 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Thinking all 100,000 were actually watching or at least listening at the time. That's cute.

if only 100 grand people would place orders for this album. Maybe Square would be convinced to do a sequel.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 06:28 AM

This is obviously playing heavily into the nostalgia factor, but I'm quietly confident this will be good. Many of the arrangements will already have been well-established for Mitsuda's recent 20th anniversary concert, and if the recording has the same musicians there should be some tested chemistry there. Kira-san at the very least will play a part, and there's very little they've collaborated on before that I haven't loved. If it turns out Hitoshi Watanabe will be providing bass (he didn't do the concert, but maybe he wasn't available), then things get even more exciting.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
This is obviously playing heavily into the nostalgia factor, but I'm quietly confident this will be good. Many of the arrangements will already have been well-established for Mitsuda's recent 20th anniversary concert, and if the recording has the same musicians there should be some tested chemistry there. Kira-san at the very least will play a part, and there's very little they've collaborated on before that I haven't loved. If it turns out Hitoshi Watanabe will be providing bass (he didn't do the concert, but maybe he wasn't available), then things get even more exciting.
I think based on the emotional power of the original works alone, it would be difficult to imagine this album turning out bad. Watanabe-san would always be a plus, though I'm confident the current 'Millennial Fair' is talented enough to handle it.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Well, even the ones that didn't can catch it on the replay. If anyone wants to look it up, I THINK they did it shortly after the run concluded when they were doing shoutouts.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 07:54 PM

Seems like the final product will have 10 arrangements, if the product description on CDJapan is accurate:

クロノ・トリガー&クロノ・クロス アレンジアルバム / ハルカナルトキノカナタへ / ゲーム・ミュージック
ゲーム音楽作曲家・光田康典 作家20周年を記念し制作される「光田康典×スクウェア・エニックス×クロノシリーズ」による公式アレンジ アルバム。世界各国から様々なアーティストがカバーするなど、ゲームタイトルながらも異例なまでに音楽への 注目が高い「クロノ・クロス」と「クロノ・トリガー」の楽曲から光田康典自身が全曲新録アレンジをプロデュ ースしている。 収録される楽曲はユーザーからの人気が高い10曲を厳選し、作曲家本人によるアレンジはユーザーの記憶に残 る原曲のメロディーラインを鮮明に残しながらも、新たにボーカル曲を加えるなどの斬新な切り口も加えられて いる。
Old Sep 2, 2015, 03:19 AM

Looks like we'll be getting an arrangement of Wind Scene and a vocal version of Corridors of Time from Chrono Trigger based on recent tweets by Mitsuda:

https://twitter.com/YasunoriMitsuda/...82263882448896
https://twitter.com/YasunoriMitsuda/...17460981628928
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:46 AM
Trusted Editor

That's nice. Vocals should work very well on that track, see e.g. MintJam's arrangement on 3rd gig (only chorus, but you get the idea).
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM

According to Mitsuda and Shigi's twitter posts today, the recording for the song was done today, at least I assume. My latent hype is revivified.

https://twitter.com/supershigi/statu...62934610538496

https://twitter.com/YasunoriMitsuda/...75043805261824
Old Sep 2, 2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
vocal version of Corridors of Time
Be still my beating heart.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 07:40 PM

Per Sarah Alainn's recent twitter activity, she's doing vocals for Far Away Times and an English language version of Radical Dreamers.

https://twitter.com/SarahAlainn
Old Sep 8, 2015, 02:51 PM

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but does anyone know if there will be anything special done for the launch of this album, such as an event, store bonuses, etc.? I'll be in Japan when it's released and plan on picking up two copies (one for me and one for my brother-in-law-- he's a huuuge Chrono Trigger/Cross fan).

Last edited by R. Kasahara; Sep 8, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 03:15 PM

Not silly at all, on the contrary perfectly on topic ^^
Afaik there is no bonus of any kind for the album itself, not via retailers, eStore, preorder, nothing.
As for events, nothing has been announced so far either either.