VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 31, 2018, 08:55 PM

Dear Zorbfish

Excuse us for any confusion.
VGMC will soon cancel the current campaign, because there is no way for them to change the pledge options / a goal, once we started a campaign.
Due to the recent service change of Amazon, VGMC can no longer able to offer "DVD" portion of the program. In the new plan, the Founder level is cheaper because there will not be a physical DVD (and its related license fee).

When we cancel the current campaign, your pledge will be automatically canceled. We hope you can support the new (and hopefully better) campaign as well when it starts.

In the future, there might be a possibility of BluRay Audio for HD/Hi-Def distribution, as Amazon indicated during our negotiation. But, they have not fully disclosed info, price, nor technical specification on this matter. So we cannot incorporate it at this point.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 04:13 AM

128kps? Seriously?

Yeah, there's no way I'm backing a project run by someone that dumb.

(And not sorry for being rude)
Old Aug 1, 2018, 05:17 AM

Dear TerraEpon
Hi, the bitrate decision was made because of the license fee involved (not file format license, obviously). Higher the bitrate, the more expensive the fee gets.

But anyway, what would be your ideal bitrate?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 05:21 AM

perso, I use vbr v 0 q 0 with stereo

any other bitrate is shit
/end
Old Aug 3, 2018, 01:55 AM

Thought VGMC cannot use VBR, we have raised the mp3 bitrate to 320kbps.
The price remains the same.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:54 AM

It saddens me to see how rude some people can be. Kentaro is engaging with this community in a generous way. He takes the time to listen to everyone's opinion, the least you can do is voice your opinion respectfully.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 07:12 PM

Dear fructus

If all of my experiences in the video game and film/tv industries taught me, it comes down to this; "I am here to help and solve the problem." People with passion are often not interested in carefully constructing comments and suggestions so to spare my or others' feelings, and it is my job to extract valuable suggestions from their passionate comments, activities etc.

People here are obviously passionate about video games and their music. And I admire all those who have contributed to the database and forum, which are incredible.
Besides, people care about where they put their own money, and people are often careless when it comes to use other's money. Therefore, in this case, your feelings, suggestions are almost always correct and better than me!

Now, VGMC has canceled the three campaigns for the reasons I have explained before. After Kickstarter solves some technical glitch, new campaigns will start.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:29 AM

Well, it'll be exciting to see what appears next! I backed the Star Fox Kickstarter in a blink. If you start it up again, I'll be sure to back it again.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaro Sato View Post
it is my job to extract valuable suggestions from their passionate comments, activities etc.

The crowd funding project obviously a learning experience, and you are a fast learner. Can only repeat what I wrote on page 2 already, I like how you approach this whole project and wish you much success with it. Thanks for bearing with us!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 02:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I missed the initial announcement of this, so I'm glad the campaign is being restarted soon.

I am one of those fans that want physical CD releases.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 09:26 PM

Dear all.
Thank you for waiting. VGMC is still waiting Kickstarter to solve the technical problems.
They have not given us an answer regarding when they could fix it...
In the meantime, VGMC is also considering to switch the platform, and are negotiating if that makes difference to the right holders etc. In fact, makers have asked if it was fine for us to change the prospective titles (if so we have to redo the video etc)...

The crowd-funding is a learning experience, indeed...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 07:44 PM

With additional negotiation took place, we might have to change from "Start Fox" to "Star Fox 64," and "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon" to "Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia."
"Suikoden II" remains at this point, but if not, it might be replaced with one of "Donkey Kong Country" SFC/SNES trilogy.

Kickstarter has fixed a part of bugs. We will see.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 09:23 AM

Kickstarter finally fixed the problem. VGMC will re-launch the campaigns once the VO artist has recorded the names of the new featuring titles.
As I mentioned in the earlier post, VGMC has chanced to "Star Fox" to "Star Fox 64" and "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon" to "Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia." "Suikoden II" stays.
These changes were due to the additional negotiations with relevant parties.

Personally, I am a bit sad about the changes, and I hope there is a chance for VGMC to feature passed titles soon if not next time.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Kickstarter finally fixed the problem. VGMC will re-launch the campaigns once the VO artist has recorded the names of the new featuring titles.
As I mentioned in the earlier post, VGMC has chanced to "Star Fox" to "Star Fox 64"
Personally, I am a bit sad about the changes, and I hope there is a chance for VGMC to feature passed titles soon if not next time.
Well, at least in terms of production, SF64 is far more suitable for an orchestra. I've often mused about how I would present such a score in concert format. I think a single "prologue" suite for all of Kondo's music (the first 7 tracks or so) would be the best way to begin. Then it's all Wakai. The issue with the score, in terms of a concert/orchestral performance, is the short length of the tunes, most running around a minute. You'd need to loop each at least once. I have a clear idea what I would do with most of those tracks on the second loop: changes in orchestration, additional color and flourish, etc. For example, "Katarina" should be basically orchestrated as it's written, then on the repeat, that finale should be lengthened and embellished for maximum dramatic effect. I imagine the moments just after that finale as strings and woodwinds quietly repeating the main melody, punctuated by a lonely stacatto trumpet in the background. I can hear it clearly in my head, and it'd be the perfect end to such a powerful track.

If it's not working to extend them, perhaps the tracks would be better off arranged as medleys in the same way the Actraiser Symphonic Suite was presented.

SF64 is unique for Wakai's contribution, which represents what must be the most sophisticated orchestral score to every accompany a space shooter. Tracks 8 through 18 ("Training" through "Area 6") are basically uninterrupted genius from beginning to end. Please include all of them! "Star Wolf" deserves a rendition as well.

While this is a fan-funded project and while you are disappointed about the shift to SF64, I want you to know that being one to orchestrate this particular work is a genuine privilege. Star Fox (SFC)'s score is excellent, but SF64 is legitimately brilliant.

Last edited by Jormungand; Aug 13, 2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 03:23 PM

1. Just pointing out Star Fox Assault was already a PERFECT orchestral album of Star Fox 64 pieces as far as I am concerned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y4ZrrB_GQ

There really needs nothing more to be done with a single cue approach, except some of the Boss cues. A symphonic story within the soundworld of SciFi blockbusters like Independece Day by David Arnold, telling a musical story from Corneria to Venom is the way to go I think. Mr. Sato, for Planet Katina (and the whole game infact) I would sugest this approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcJr2vl12X8

That aside, while I agree about Star Fox 64 being on the whole musically superior to the first game, I prefer the original Star Fox Main Theme to the Star Fox 64 Main Theme. I wish it would have been the Main Theme for the series like Zelda and stayed in every game in some way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOHn0sUh6E

2. For Shadows of Valentia I would love it to be in tradition of Hollywood epics like Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris and/or stick close to the sound of the Orchestral Game concerts, in symphonic movements if possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImLxG00_vkM

Another approach could be in style of old Hollywood epics by Rozsa, or at least a bonus piece in that idiom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXSkeBqEJiI

Of course, a Fire Emblem album with some Opera/Aria would be wonderful as well, I'm in particular reminded of the Aria from FFVI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b62RgDBmly8

3. Of course the same applies to Suikoden II, which might work with a more classical approach, maybe even a Tchaikovskian Ballet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65As...zbTwAL5FrD9dE_

JAGMO even went with a full on classical joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zq-Qda-D3Y&t=7m44s

These are my wishes.
Looks like the projects are already taking off, so again, best of luck.

Last edited by VIN; Aug 13, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinphonic View Post
1. Just pointing out Star Fox Assault was already a PERFECT orchestral album of Star Fox 64 pieces as far as I am concerned:
No, no it wasn't perfect. Not even close. The selection, arrangement quality, recording quality, and performance were all mediocre or poor. Several selections like Katina are performed embarrassingly under tempo, moving at a painful crawl. Assault is the perfect example of how not to orchestrate video game music.

Quote:
There really needs nothing more to be done with a single cue approach, except some of the Boss cues.
Since it was done poorly before, the "single cue" approach is just fine and preferable.

Quote:
A symphonic story within the soundworld of SciFi blockbusters like Independece Day by David Arnold, telling a musical story from Corneria to Venom is the way to go I think.
No, no, no. I don't want more Hollywood in my Japanese VGM. Arnold is an adequate composer, but hardly one of the best, and soundtracks like ID are made up from shelf-stocked score material.

Quote:
Mr. Sato, for Planet Katina (and the whole game infact) I would sugest this approach
What...? How can you even suggest this? Even the person who made this ridiculous video showed their disdain for Star Fox 64's actual music by titling the video "StarFox 64 - "Battle of Katina" with Proper Music". Again, no, we don't need film score nonsense. I believe you'll find yourself the minority on that one. In fact, were this project to go the "Hollywood" route, I would have to regretfully withdraw my support.

Quote:
2. For Shadows of Valentia I would love it to be in tradition of Hollywood epics like Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris and/or stick close to the sound of the
What is your thing with Hollywood? That's what film music is for... and perhaps the majority of most recent Western VGM.

Oddly, Poledouris's style is very much not the typical Hollywood sound of the modern day, and far more a product of the so-called "Silver Age"--which the Ogre Battle orchestral album sounds a lot like. Film scores don't sound like Poledouris or any other Silver Age progeny anymore.

Quote:
Orchestral Game concerts, in symphonic movements if possible:
The Orchestral Game Concert series were poorly arranged outside of a few standouts (Tanaka, Kanno, etc.), and, more pointedly, were extremely under-rehearsed. It's like they were sight-reading on the nights of the concerts...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 06:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Did the Kickstarter campaigns re-start?

EDIT: I had to dig but I found the links, one per album:
Star Fox 64: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...estral-cd-64cd
Fire Emblem Echoes: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...chestral-cd-cd
Suikoden II: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...stral-cd-2cd-0

Last edited by Eriol; Aug 14, 2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:45 AM

Dear Eriol
Thank you for posting! Yes, they are the new links to the new campaigns!

And to all!
If the campaigns met their goals, the general music direction VGMC will take would be the direction set by the originals. So, it would be a natural musical extension by an orchestra. We will try to preserve and strengthen the musical intentions of the originals, and make something artistically competent as orchestral works.

VGMC will not do any medley unless the originals were so or we got the permission to do so (EX. like an ending credit medley etc). Additionally, VGMC will not do any parody unless the originals were so, or we got very good reasons to do so (EX. the cooking tune of Suikoden II, which was a parody of the theme music of a famous Japanese cooking show).

The orchestral setup would be what we call "two-wind system." This is a standard setup for any classical/romantic era orchestral works. So any standard orchestras around the world could perform the tunes if they wished and there were opportunities.

We had a long discussion about whether we include a piano and a drum set as a standard setup or not. We decided not to. Certain things work well in a studio but not in a concert hall, and piano-focused orchestral tune (excluding concerto-like setup) and drum groove (or percussion heavy arrangements) falls into this category unfortunately.
So, any such version with piano/drums? will be bonus recordings.

These decisions are pretty much in line with what Mr. Koich Sugiyama did in his early orchestral suites of Dragon Quest series (like III, IV, V).
Old Aug 15, 2018, 01:26 AM

@Jormungand

That's why I wrote "as far as I am concerned". I respectfully disagree of course, and I think Assault is really good, but to each his own. I find myself agreeing with this podcast about Assaults music (for the most part) and I really liked the game and think it gets an unfair reputation among fans of the series as the "black sheep": http://www.supermarcatobros.com/podc...ar-fox-assault

As for the Indipendence Day video, its obviously a joke since that level is a direct homage to the movie, and as a matter of fact, the whole Star Fox 64 was a homage to a corny SciFi Blockbuster (I don't know about the Japanese original version though):

Star Fox Assault likewise is a corney Japanese Space Opera and the very series itself was heavily inspired by British Television show Thunderbirds and Hollywood SciFi films. The very first scene from Star Fox (SNES) is a homage to the beginning of Star Wars: Episode 4.

BTW, the most likely very first orchestral video game score is a homage to Pouledoris Conan so since its inception, Japanese video game music in its early years, definitely drew inspiration from Hollywood:

Wizardry V: Shadows of the Maelstrom (FM Towns) (Composed by Kohei Tanaka, 1990)

Even the very first symphonic albums of Video Game music drew inspiration from the Silver Age: Dragon Quest III (Composed/arranged by Koichi Sugiyama, 1988)

BUT I want to make a distinction, I didn't want "Hollywood" as it is understood today, I want to hear the music Hollywood used to have and "Film music" used to be, that is Symphonic music written in Wagnerian operatic style or classical style in general. I meant not to sound like Arnold but to tell a story with music in that idiom, as these old Hollywood SciFi films of the past did and just don't do anymore. These days I don't care for Hollywood myself and think Anime and Games a natural evolution of film music, and my personal favorite game score of last year was Gravity Daze 2 (by the same composer as Wizardry btw) which is just about every musical style under the sun, from British film music to reggae, sometimes even in the same piece of music and I really love how experimental and incorporating of the whole music history of the world, Japanese games get nowadays, but I think its unfair to suggest early decades of Japanese video game music didn't have anything to do with Hollywood (Film music) or were not paying homage to it.

I am not in the "Film music vs Game music" camp and am not someone who wants video game music to be taken seriously when it was "serious"/amazing music in Japan from the get-go, i.e. Dragon Quest, Wizardry and a billion others. We only need to give most of these the live-orchestra treatment and we are good to go.

It's all merely a suggestion, not a dictation. I am well aware of Mr. Sato's talents and abilities and do not want in any way suggest he doesn't already know which approach works best. It's just what I would love to hear. I am in the camp that prefers symphonic arrangements, instead of a collection of cues, thats all there is to it.

Last edited by VIN; Aug 15, 2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 02:21 AM

is it really pertinent to make a gensou suikoden 2?
there are already so many suiko (about 15) arrange albums, one more is really useful?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 03:20 AM

Dear Phonograph

If the funding is not met, of course VGMC will pass that.
There is no obligation of VGMC to stick with a particular series or a manufacture.
VGMC presents the idea, and if there are enough needs, fine! and we will make it happen. If there is not, sad! and we will move on.

By the way, if we did not pick Suikoden II, we'd picked Luna: Silver Star Story, or Eternal Blue.
If we did not pick Star Fox, we have picked one of Panzer Dragoons.

We did not picked any of SQEX titles for the reason I wrote in some of my previous writings, but VGMC will consider them for the next round of fundraising.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinphonic View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y4ZrrB_GQ
Totally agree. With the exception of the Star Wolf theme, Assault did a great job with the music from Star Fox 64.

Quote:
Dear Phonograph

By the way, if we did not pick Suikoden II, we'd picked Luna: Silver Star Story, or Eternal Blue.
If we did not pick Star Fox, we have picked one of Panzer Dragoons.

We did not picked any of SQEX titles for the reason I wrote in some of my previous writings, but VGMC will consider them for the next round of fundraising.
Lunar Silver Star Story would be amazing! Can't wait for the Final Fantasy albums! $$$ (VII VII VII)

Last edited by fructus; Aug 16, 2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fructus View Post
Lunar Silver Star Story would be amazing! Can't wait for the Final Fantasy albums! $$$ (VII VII VII)
Hasn't Ⅶ's music been "done"… A bit too much (well, this could apply to most of the franchise, to speak the truth)?

I hope I'll eventually get the chance to back an album containing music from Alundra (or The Adventures of Alundra, to use the name picked for the European release), would love to hear Mr. Tanaka's compositions for that game in a new… Flavour; still think it's a shame that the official soundtrack release didn't include more material.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Aug 26, 2018, 01:51 PM
VGMdb Staff

Update: Suikoden II hit the 50% mark yesterday.

And it looks like Mr. Sato attended JAGMO's Suikoden orchestra concert today: https://twitter.com/wisemanprojectj/...33497360343040

Hopefully it gave him some good ideas.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:56 PM

Hi, nextday!

Yes, I have attended the concert, and I was fortunate enough to attend a after-concert-get-together hosted by fans. There are many who are interested in the projects, and of course there are some who had already pledged. I've got many questions and opinions which I told VGMC, and I hope we will improve.

The most striking thing for me was the majority of Suikoden fans are female. It is like 10:1 or 15:1 ratio. And of course, unlike USA which is basically a country of donation and pledge opportunities everywhere, Japan does not have that culture. Since this crowd-funding is new to most of them and VGMC being a new "foreign" company, they were naturally a bit scared to dive into this area. But they also expressed that, of course, it is nice to have full orchestral CDs, they are fine to buy CDs of smaller instrumentation, like quartet etc. So, I promised them if the crowd-funding this time around is not successful, I will personally invest to a smaller project so that VGMC will get products to distribute without crowd-funding.

Overall, it is always nice to discuss with someone looking at their faces and all. I was glad having that opportunities.

By the way, the concert was incredible, and well-made for fans. But also it gave me ideas of what I should not do for the recording project.
I invited to some non-gamer classical musicians to the concert, and they have all expressed that they were very unsatisfied by the music. This was unfortunately understandable given the fact that each piece got like 1min of playing time. For example, Suikoden II music (in 4 movements) got about 60min of playing time. Within that 60min, the arranger included like 50 pieces of music. So, it is like listening to a OTS with each track got 1 loop, abruptly ends and onto the next one. Comparing to the well-made classical suites like Tchaikovsky or even modern Harry Potter or Star Wars suites by Williams, I had to admit that the arrangements at the concerts were made too much for fans.

Interestingly, all admits that within 5 titles of the series, Suikoden 1 and 2 were best in musical materials. One of musicians said to me that she got an impression that the composer of 1, and the composer of 2 understood what the classical music was, not knowing that the composer is the same.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 03:04 PM

Hey Mr. Sato, you mentioned in post #168 that you won't do medleys. As you rightly noted regarding the JAGMO concert, to an emotionally uninvolved audience short pieces can be unsatisfying. How do you intend to tackle this issue considering most VGM music tends to be on the shorter side? Personally I'd prefer medleys that retell a story of a game over short pieces drawn out to be long enough to be enjoyable (if that's even possible without changing the character of the pieces itself).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
to an emotionally uninvolved audience short pieces can be unsatisfying.
Even to an emotionally involved audience, short pieces are unsatisfying. They're more showpieces than concert music or performance art. It's the same issue with the low quality arrangement found in the vast majority of live VGM for such concerts, including ostensibly professional works like the Orchestral Game Concert series.

Quote:
How do you intend to tackle this issue considering most VGM music tends to be on the shorter side? ...short pieces drawn out to be long enough to be enjoyable (if that's even possible without changing the character of the pieces itself).
It's absolutely possible, and this work is the domain of the skilled arranger with an expertise in orchestration. Consider Yoko Kanno's complete expansion of her compositions for the Uncharted Waters/Daikoukai Jidai and Nobunaga series. Many of her works for those games were quite short, or at least typical length of the era. And yet she transformed them into lush, complete arrangements without sacrificing even a bit of the originals' recognizability.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:05 PM

Dear Datschge

>> How do you intend to tackle this issue considering most VGM music tends to be on the shorter side?

As Jormungand suggested, if the original piece provides good musical materials (however short it may be), it is always possible for an arranger to expand the idea in more musically satisfying way.
Of course, I would not intend to extend the piece unnecessarily.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
Hasn't Ⅶ's music been "done"… A bit too much (well, this could apply to most of the franchise, to speak the truth)?
Not done properly! The same three or four tracks played over and over? Lame! Final Symphony? Pretentious nonsense. How about some arrangements that actually sound like the music in game? The vibraphone is one of the most prominent instruments in the OST and yet it appears in zero arrangements. I heard reports that Game Symphony Japan captured the feel of FF7, but we will never get to hear that concert

We all have pretty refined taste around here, but I'm guessing most of our hearts still belong to the soundtrack of whatever blockbuster game blew us away as children
Old Sep 1, 2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fructus View Post
Not done properly! The same three or four tracks played over and over? Lame! Final Symphony? Pretentious nonsense. How about some arrangements that actually sound like the music in game? The vibraphone is one of the most prominent instruments in the OST and yet it appears in zero arrangements. I heard reports that Game Symphony Japan captured the feel of FF7, but we will never get to hear that concert

We all have pretty refined taste around here, but I'm guessing most of our hearts still belong to the soundtrack of whatever blockbuster game blew us away as children
I guess I'm just tired of hearing it arranged, I must say I'm also extremely biased: nothing will ever top the original tracks, in my opinion.

Good luck to this project, at any rate.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440