VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:02 PM

Cool Resident Evil Save Room Covers - Unique Instrument

Greetings! Over the past few weeks on YouTube, I have created covers of the Save Room themes from the first 3 Resident Evil games. The main melody of each song is played on the Array Mbira, which is better seen/heard than described. The other parts of the songs are played using various synthesizers. I will be doing a cover like this for every save room theme in the series, as well as a few other non-save room themes, a lot of other VG music (Mega Man, Mario, Metroid, Street Fighter, etc.), and tons of original music. So with that being said, if you like what you see and hear, and you have faith in me, hit that subscribe button, and I promise I will not disappoint!

Here is the playlist with the first 3 RE Save Room covers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6-f...k&index=2&t=0s
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:32 PM

Look like an oversize Kalimba! (Looking it up I see Mbira, Kalimba, Likembe, Nsansi, Zanza, Kadongo and Luliimba are all different regional African names for what the West would call Lamellophones.)

Really like your rendition of RE1's save room.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 01:00 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm liking this Array Mbira thing. I hope you'll do Option Screen from RE3
Old Mar 27, 2020, 03:52 PM

@Datschge, I actually got a little kalimba for my birthday 2 years ago, and the lack of notes frustrated me, so I had to go all out and get the Mbira lol. I regretted it at first, not thinking I'd ever be able to be proficient at such a strange instrument..but I taught myself all these save room songs, among other things, and it just clicked after awhile. I'm glad you liked my version of the song!

@Nisto, Thank you! My one friend thinks it was made for playing RE music because in his opinion, it resembles a typewriter lol. But yes of course, that is most definitely on my list of songs! Right after I do the Boutique theme. I think that will sound really nice on the deep notes from the Mbira. I'm thinking of doing an FM synth bass with that one. So happy you guys liked this. It was a shot in the dark posting on this forum. I just discovered it yesterday, and I'm really happy places like this still exist. I was under the impression that Reddit was basically the monopoly forum today.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 06:47 AM

Hi guys! I hope you've been well amidst all the chaos going on. I'm back again with another Resident Evil save room cover on the Mbira. This time I did Resident Evil 0, and I used the Waldorf Blofeld for the chords. Hope you like!!

https://youtu.be/U1MLzTOmC4Q

Tags
biohazard, cover, covers, resident evil, synth