VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 25, 2014, 05:24 AM

Default PCCG-00613: FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Original Soundtrack

Does anyone have a first pressing of this where the liquid in the slipcase is still... well, liquid? In my copy it turned to a white(ish) solid long ago
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:52 AM

Mine turned solid long ago as well. Don't think it turned white though. I haven't looked at it in a few years though.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 02:16 PM
VGMdb Staff

Mine is like that as well. As I recall, if you apply enough heat (e.g. from a light-bulb) onto the surface it'll turn liquid again for a short time.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 03:37 PM

In the liner notes of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles -Echoes of Time- Original Soundtrack Kumi Tanioka says "In the first Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, I let synthesizer operator Hidenori Iwasaki arrange the rhythm parts almost entirely."

So then Hidenori Iwasaki should be credited as an arranger for the OST in it's entirety in the notes section, right?
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 AM

Minoru Akao really outdid himself with the sound programming here. Granted, this is using live instruments in parts, but it's mostly sequenced music. It has an incredible warmth and an organic sound to it that was still rather unusual to hear on Nintendo hardware back then.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor

You should also praise synthesizer programmer Hidenori Iwasaki, who begged the game's main programmer to give them as much memory dedicated to music as possible, and who spent days and nights transforming all recordings with Roba House into samples small enough to fit into this memory without sacrificing too much quality—not to mention he also arranged all rhythm sections!
Old Jan 15, 2024, 06:38 AM

I loooove Hidenori Iwasaki. Unsung SEM hero, in my mind.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 03:41 PM

I wondered if I should name Iwasaki too. To be honest, I suspected he played a part but had no idea he was so deeply involved with the samples. I've never read the liner notes or any interviews of his on the game.

It's no surprise he was promoted to main composer on Crystal Bearers even though he went in a completely different direction for that game. Come to think of it, it's odd that they established such a strong musical identity with FFCC, only to immediately abandon it with the DS sequel Ring of Fates.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 04:43 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
I wondered if I should name Iwasaki too. To be honest, I suspected he played a part but had no idea he was so deeply involved with the samples. I've never read the liner notes or any interviews of his on the game.
I also forgot: he is the one who suggested Roba House! He was fond of their work (recording and performing Medieval and Renaissance music) and offered Tanioka to see one of their concerts, and that's when they decided to ask them to record the soundtrack. But they turned them down at first, saying they were not interested in video games. Eventually, Iwasaki and Tanioka managed to convince them.
Fun fact: Uematsu also tried to have Roba House on Final Fantasy IX, but they also turned him down. So when he heard they convinced them for FFCC, he was impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
It's no surprise he was promoted to main composer on Crystal Bearers even though he went in a completely different direction for that game. Come to think of it, it's odd that they established such a strong musical identity with FFCC, only to immediately abandon it with the DS sequel Ring of Fates.
Actually, the composers for Ring of Fates and Crystal Chronicles were decided with a rock, paper, scissors game between Tanioka and Iwasaki! (It seems to be a fairly common practice, as the synthesizer programmer for FFVIII was also decided with a rock, paper, scissors game between Keiji Kawamori and Iwasaki)
Tanioka decided to change her approach for Ring of Fates because she was told by the development team that the world and scenario would be darker than the original title.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
I also forgot: he is the one who suggested Roba House! He was fond of their work (recording and performing Medieval and Renaissance music) and offered Tanioka to see one of their concerts, and that's when they decided to ask them to record the soundtrack. But they turned them down at first, saying they were not interested in video games. Eventually, Iwasaki and Tanioka managed to convince them.
Fun fact: Uematsu also tried to have Roba House on Final Fantasy IX, but they also turned him down. So when he heard they convinced them for FFCC, he was impressed.
Well, good thing Roba House passed on FF9, then! The PS1's sample limitations wouldn't have done the live instruments justice. And relegating their performance to a few key scenes would have been a waste. It all came together how it was meant to be and we got a wonderful soundtrack with FFCC. You can tell that Tanioka and all the others involved put their everything into it. It's Tanioka's magnum opus without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
Actually, the composers for Ring of Fates and Crystal Chronicles were decided with a rock, paper, scissors game between Tanioka and Iwasaki! (It seems to be a fairly common practice, as the synthesizer programmer for FFVIII was also decided with a rock, paper, scissors game between Keiji Kawamori and Iwasaki)
Tanioka decided to change her approach for Ring of Fates because she was told by the development team that the world and scenario would be darker than the original title.
It's not a very nice thing to say but Ring of Fates really sounds like the work of a composer who just lost a game of rock-paper-scissors. 😅 I just read an interview with Tanioka where she said it was hard to decide on a direction to take for the music. Guess they just settled on "generic JRPG score" when time ran out... It just sounds like the kind of music that's created when composers have to crank out many pieces in a short timeframe.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 05:52 AM

Rock-paper-scissors is the cornerstone of Japanese society.