VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:57 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We'll be opening up a broader discussion on tracklists soon, and localizations (including those of English tracklists) will be one of the things dicsussed.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:53 PM

Well according to Kaleb.G, there's going to be a new track database or something, so... cool :) Looking forward to seeing what's in store!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:17 PM

Interesting, none the less, this appears to be more like the way actually some playlist used to be managed for some albums... when there were more than one playlist in english.

Some Final Fantasy albums have an english list, and a English one according iTunes. Despite that, all those were just official after all.

Now, I winder if with this addition of the database, we will see "Corrected English" playlists, or even "Translated to another Languaje" playlists, divided of course of the official ones.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:16 PM

Does anyone else find it weird that small guitar solo was added to X6's "Opening Stage"? I took a listen to the music on the game disc and it's there, and it's not on the box like it was said earlier. I mean we're talking about a game that spent a mere week being translated for the for the NSTC region (rushed out just in time for Christmas!!!) such a small change to the music seems odd.

Is this change just in the NTSC version of the game? Often times the developer will leave additional, non-accessible data on disc so you think the other version would appear amongst the data (like X4's Japanese pre battle quotes - Iris' sounds so drunk - lol!) but it doesn't.

Additionally, I was thinking, can't we unoffically credit Tanaka with "Dynamo" and "X vs. Zero" since they reappear in X6? If they were done by Naoya Kamisaka or Takuya Miyawaki, they would have been mentioned in X6's credit roll no?

Edit: HAHAHA, actually Tanaka is credited TWICE in the credits! Can't believe this didn't lead to the Tanaka=Akemi connection earlier. (Skip to 1:57)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyLgf...om=PL&index=36

Last edited by Brad Evans; Feb 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
I mean we're talking about a game that spent a mere week being translated for the for the NSTC region
I can see why they would exclude it; the track is ultimately the same, as the guitar barely affects the original composition. It was probably a last-minute edit/deal by the overseas staff, because it would have been listed as an Unused Track (ala X5) if it was developed by the original game staff, and the change, being made in the western world, was not originally intended by the original staff, therefore explaining why "Megaman X6 Opening Stage" would not appear on a "made in Japan" soundtrack such as this. The slower version of Zero in X6 follows the same logic, as it is only the original played at about 90% speed but otherwise unedited from its original form.

Quote:
Is this change just in the NTSC version of the game? Often times the developer will leave additional, non-accessible data on disc so you think the other version would appear amongst the data (like X4's Japanese pre battle quotes - Iris' sounds so drunk - lol!) but it doesn't.
The original was simply modified for the overseas versions.

Quote:
Additionally, I was thinking, can't we unoffically credit Tanaka with "Dynamo" and "X vs. Zero" since they reappear in X6? If they were done by Naoya Kamisaka or Takuya Miyawaki, they would have been mentioned in X6's credit roll no?
From what I've seen, the Power Battle and Power Fighters music composers are not credited in the Complete Works credits, so apparently recycled music is void to credit. Still, those two were definitely done by Naoto - that guitar of his never lies. [Actually your next point means that Naoto is represented here by music only, as he only did music in X5 and his X6 work is all under his Akemi Kimura alias, so it's not completely excusable. Still, it's inherently obvious which ones he's done; I should know; I found the differentiations in all three of the X5 composers' styles after all.]

Quote:
Edit: HAHAHA, actually Tanaka is credited TWICE in the credits! Can't believe this didn't lead to the Tanaka=Akemi connection earlier. (Skip to 1:57)
Actually they're both being there makes them look even more like two separate people, as "Sound" is the only heading of its kind and it's just those four people, but that is still an interesting tidbit to notice now that we know the truth.

BIG EDIT (05/22): Naoto is only credited for music in X5, meaning your previous point is valid, as everything he did in X6 is attributed to Akemi Kimura, his alias, and not Naoto Tanaka. Therefore, Naoto's presence in X6's credits can only mean that he did, in fact, compose Dynamo and X vs Zero.

Also, the Sound Designer for Rockman X was ELF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RAueyBtJWs at 2:38

ELF = Tadashi Joukagi
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesi...dition/credits --->Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition

Last edited by kyubihanyou; May 21, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Other theories:
X1
Setsuo Yamamoto: Title, Opening Stage, Zero, Stage Select 1, Stage Start, Launcher Octopuld, Burnin' Noumander, Storm Eagleed, Stage Clear, Get a Weapon, Sigma Stage 1, Sigma 1st, Staff Roll
The Mega Man 10 Soundtrack makes me think Yuko Takehara did Storm Eagleed. We'll have to wait until the credit spread and see who composed Wily Stage 1 for that game. If so, it wouldn't be the first time she re-used a previous composition elsewhere.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 02:16 PM

I've since changed Spark Mandriller to Setsuo, as it sounds more like it belongs with that set of songs. Also added Boss 1, Boss 2, Stage Select 2, Sigma Stage 2, Sigma Stage 4, Sigma Rebirth, Sigma 2nd and Cast Roll, making the count 22-5-2-2-2.

Looks good to me.

X3 Arrange Version (Lord help me)
NOTE: These are UNOFFICIAL [Bold = Confirmed, Italics = Implied]

Toshihiko Horiyama: Opening, Title, Opening Stage, Pass Word, Stage Select 1, Explose Horneck Stage, Frozen Buffalio Stage, Gravity Beetbood Stage, Acid Seaforce Stage, Electro Namazuros Stage, Scissors Shrimper Stage, Vava Stage, Boss 1, Boss 2, Stage Clear, Stage Select 2, Doppler Stage 1, Doppler Stage 2, Doppler Stage Boss, Sigma 1st, Sigma 2nd, Doppler Demo, Megaman X3 Opening Theme, Megaman X3 Ending Theme ---> Sound more like Toshihiko's than Shusaku's
Shusaku Uchiyama: Opening Stage Demo, Explose Horneck Demo, Frozen Buffalio Demo, Gravity Beetbood Demo, Acid Seaforce Demo, Electro Namazuros Demo, Scissors Shrimper Demo, Screw Masaider Demo, Shining Tigerd Demo, Demo -->New compositions + Shusaku was only one known prior to album release = Logical explanation
Yoshino Aoki: Zero, Screw Masaider Stage, Shining Tigerd Stage, Dr. Cain Demo, Dr. Right Demo, Ending 2, Cast Roll
Makoto Tomozawa: Ending 1

Opening: drums, flute
Title: guitar wail, drum'n'bass, cymbals
Pass Word: percussion, vibes
Opening Stage: bleeps, heavy percussion, background wails, synthesizer, piano --->Yoshino? Makoto?
Zero: clarinet, drum'n'bass, low synthesizer, cymbals
Stage Select 1: heavy bass, heavy synthesizer
Explose Horneck Stage: heavy bass, (unique) bells, vibes, trumpet, (unique) synthesizer
Frozen Buffalio Stage: slower; low guitar, bells, vibes, percussion, environmental, horn
Gravity Beetbood Stage: vibes, guitar, percussion, high-pitched background
Acid Seaforce Stage: jazzy guitar, drum'n'bass, vibes, high-pitched background melody
Electro Namazuros Stage: guitar, high-pitched background, bells, percussion--->getting an X4 vibe from this one (Toshihiko Horiyama)
Scissors Shrimper Stage: heavy guitar and bass; synth background
Screw Masaider Stage: percussion, techno, vibes, low guitar
Shining Tigerd Stage: low guitar, vibes, environmental, bells
Vava Stage: vibes, drum'n'bass, techno, bells --->X4 Vibe
Boss 1: heavy percussion, techno, guitar
Boss 2: heavy guitar, violin (high-pitched background), cymbals
Stage Clear: Percussion, low bass, whaling guitar
Stage Select 2: Percussion, cymbals, ominous background, synthesizer
Doppler Stage 1: Cymbals, synthesizer, low guitar, percussion
Doppler Stage 2: Techno, ominous background, guitar wails, "choir," piano, violin ----> Makoto? Yoshino?
Doppler Stage Boss: Cymbals, percussion, ominous background, vibes
Sigma 1st: heavy percussion, techno
Sigma 2nd: heavy percussion, panflute, synthesizer
Doppler Demo: Ominous background, heavy percussion, cymbals
Dr. Cain Demo: Low guitar, "xylophone" background, trumpets
Dr. Right Demo: Techno
Ending 1: piano, bells, low trumpet/woodwind, synthesizer--->Makoto
Ending 2: percussion, trumpet, low guitar, cymbals
Cast Roll: drum'n'bass, cymbals, trumpets, high-pitched background

ANOTHER EDIT: Previously, Brad discussed that the Saturn version of Eregion had a special intro. Well's here's the others like it:
Frost Kibatodos Stage 2 (special intro like Eregion)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=106jztmmEnQ at 5:34
Stage Select 2 (same melody, but the "squirming sound" is heard at different parts during the first half of the track.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmwLUjhZ0Zw at 4:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjTi_mDDeI -----> compare to start of this

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 3, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Personally, I find it so tiring having to change everything to make sense to the version of the game I know. I'd love for a cddb service to actually offer the version of names I'm familiar with. And I just can't believe that I am the only one on the planet that would like to have the names recognizable to what I know from the game.
I actually prefer 'romanized' to 'localized'. If I read 'Dr. Right' on a MegaMan tracklist, that seems pretty obvious to me, and I don't think it should be changed (especially if the tracklist comes directly from the soundtrack booklet/box/website/whatever).
The problem is when we only have japanese tracklist out there (which [I believe] is not gonna happen =P).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I figured that people could use the second tracklist to automatically enter the localized information, which in this case would save a good 241 tracks of information from being entered manually (a feat I've sadly done haha). After all, we have romaji tracklists in some soundtracks for crying out loud, lol. If that's not useless... Anyway, that's one reason I decided to include the other tracklist, not to mention the localizing of names in multiple other tracklists I've seen and personally dealt with here.
I have to agree 100% with you here.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:09 PM

I've found this little bit of info, from an anonymous troper:
Quote:
...in X1, after Zero saves X from Vile in the intro stage, the music that plays during their conversation is called 'Variant X', and was intended to be X's theme. Guess who adopted it in its two later appearances in the series...
...what, really? "1-08: DEMO" was supposed to be Theme of X? I've never heard of such a thing, but it sounds intriguing.
Can anybody confirm this rumor or should we dismiss it as bull?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashman View Post
I've found this little bit of info, from an anonymous troper:

...what, really? "1-08: DEMO" was supposed to be Theme of X? I've never heard of such a thing, but it sounds intriguing.
Can anybody confirm this rumor or should we dismiss it as bull?
I kinda figured it out from PsychoZeke/The OSTation's video for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUBQOmnU8bM

It makes sense to me because it was used in the very beginning of Mega Man Xtreme/Rockman X: Cyber Mission whilst "Zero" was used within Hunter Base (basically when Zero was around). Aside from that, it does have that "variable" sense while "Zero" is "absolute." Furthermore, I figured "Ending" from X1 to have also been done by Makoto Tomozawa because it is also a theme that relates to X.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:30 PM

@Raizen1984

The reason why Dynamo and X vs. Zero can be specifically linked to Naoto Tanaka is because of the in-game credits for both games.

X5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLe35S7nkY4#t=2m37s
Sound: Naoto Tanaka, Takuya Miyawaki with Shinya, Naoya Kamisaka
Sound Effect: Toshio Kajino, Atsuko Fujitani

X6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqfkBwlO-M#t=1m54s
Sound: Tosio Kajino, Jyunko Hujitani, Akemi Kimura, Naoto Tanaka

Since the OST only credits Kimura for X6, any chance the two poorly translated sound effect contributors had at contributing something music-related is zero. The X5 credits also indicate that Tanaka didn't do any sound effects; just music. Combine that with the fact that Tanaka and Kimura are the same person, and it basically breaks down to this:

"Akemi Kimura" = Naoto Tanaka's X6 work.
"Naoto Tanaka" = Naoto Tanaka's X5 work, which only applies to the two returning tracks from X5: Dynamo and X vs. Zero.

The way X6's credits are formatted are also generally the same as those in the two Mega Man Xtreme games. The text sounds (among many others) are the same between both of these games.

Xtreme 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfcUSIGP4bg#t=5m37s) ---> Sound: Toshio Kajino, Saori Maeda
Xtreme 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BObjFoud8AM) [at 0:34] ---> Sound: Toshio, Mitsuhiko

Therefore, all of Xtreme 1's arrangements were done by Saori Maeda (aka Saori Utsumi) and all of Xtreme 2 was arranged by Mitsuhiko Takano

As for the difference in order in the X5 credits and the inclusion of Shinya Okada, it does not affect me too badly. Having Shinya's techno vibe in cooperation with Miyawaki increases the probability of the latter having done the two tracks I've associated with him, and another key point is the fact that NONE of the three have "(CAPCOM)" written next to them on Booklet Back. Whereas X5 was made back when Tanaka and Miyawaki worked for Capcom [The Kimura alias came with Naoto's move to Valuewave (X6-X8) along with Miyawaki (X7)], Kamisaka was ALWAYS outside of Capcom, so he was listed last in-game, but his position here still means that he was second-most in contribution to the OST after Tanaka. Therefore, since Tanaka had the guitar-representative rock style (i.e. Opening Stage Zero), Kamisaka must have the nearly-as-prominent synthesizer style (i.e. Opening Stage X).

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 8, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:00 PM

Sorry, only just now saw your post.

It would have been a sound theory if Kimura and Tanaka were different people, but they're not. It's odd that he's listed twice, but Capcom has never been the best with credits; we all know this.

It does not prove that X vs Zero and Dynamo are Tanaka's work, because this theory assumes no one has ever been left uncredited in a game's staff roll before.

Just leave it alone until we get some actual proof. I'm getting sick of having to clean up all this speclation.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:29 PM

@Raizen

That's just it; he's listed twice. For what purpose would Tanaka be listed when Kimura's doing the music for this game? It would be harder to associate Tanaka to those tracks (instrumental similarities aside) if he weren't listed at all.

Why do you think Tanaka's there?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
@Raizen

That's just it; he's listed twice. For what purpose would Tanaka be listed when Kimura's doing the music for this game? It would be harder to associate Tanaka to those tracks (instrumental similarities aside) if he weren't listed at all.

Why do you think Tanaka's there?
Quote:
but Capcom has never been the best with credits; we all know this.
Seriously, what point are you even trying to make here? That him being listed twice connects him to two tracks from a previous game? Kimura and Tanaka are the same person! Maybe if they were different people, like I already said, but they're not; so this is a meaningless connection.

As an aside, why is it impossible that the original composer was uncredited? This would make some sense if they weren't originally Capcom employees, like how Yamashita wasn't given credit for X3.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Is it known who arranged tracks 26~31 on disc 5?
Old May 24, 2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
Is it known who arranged tracks 26~31 on disc 5?
They should all be composed and arranged by the lead person from each game.

X3: Toshihiko Horiyama
X4: Toshihiko Horiyama
X5: Naoto Tanaka

The same can be said of the overseas themes for Mega Man 8 (Uchiyama), Legends and Legends 2 (Tomozawa), X7 (Komiyama), Command Mission (Okada) and Maverick Hunter X (Hasegawa)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; May 24, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 02:07 PM

More assumptions, or do you have some actual direct evidence to back this up this time?

Last edited by Chris; May 25, 2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:05 PM

I was thinking, should we mention that the music on the X4 disc is derived from the PlayStation version of the game? The tunes in the PlayStation version have definite endings (like the ones present on the disc) while those in the Saturn edition loop and therefore would fade out if they were used as the source (which isn't the case).
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Someone I know was having problems parsing the composer info here, so I reorganized the notes a bit. Hopefully it's a little more readable now.

Makoto Tomozawa was previous credited for Vava 1 & 2 from MMX (1.05 & 1.06) based on this:

Quote:
Makoto Tomozawa: Vava 1, Vava 2, Demo, Sigma Stage 3, Ending
-Vava 1 and Vava 2 confirmed via Rockman Zero 3's Scrapped Beat [Tomozawa given composition credit, but was not credited for "Music" in-game, but rather "Special Thanks"]. They all share the same four note melody.
I have removed both credits for now. Vava 1 is a totally different melody from Scrapped Beat; those intervals just aren't remotely close to being the same. Vava 2 is kind of similar, in that both are based on a four whole note descending figure, but Vava 2's melody has decorations while Scrapped Beat's is just the notes, and Vava 2's modulates while Scrapped Beat's just stays the same. It could definitely be an intentional reference, but basing composition on only a similar four note figure is weak.

The sources for the specific composition credits are spread out in a couple of different threads, so I'll collect 'em here for convenience.

MMX1:

Quote:
Setsuo Yamamoto:

-Zero confirmed via Rockman Zero's Theme of Zero [originally composed by Setsuo Yamamoto; additional composition by Ippo Yamada]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnX View Post
According to this:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-...8/cd-x1-6.html
Setsuo did Opening Stage, Armadillo, Sigma Stage 1 and Sigma Rebirth.
Quote:
-Third paragraph, first sentence confirms Opening Stage.
-Third paragraph, fourth sentence confirms Armor Armarge and Sigma Stage 1.
-Third paragraph, last sentence refers to "Last Boss Sigma" and "Intro for Sigma Form," so I think it refers to Sigma 1st and Sigma 2nd as well as Sigma Rebirth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitter
OKeijiDragon: What kinds of ideas did you had when making the Mega Man X soundtrack? Also, which tracks did you compose for that game?

nextf: And I composed StormEagleed and SparkMandriller.

MMX3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitter
OKeijiDragon: Did you work on the Mega Man X3 PlayStation version, however? The soundtrack CD says you worked on it.

nextf: I've just rememberd that I compose X3's OP Movie's music for oversea.

Additional material: http://www.dashrepublic.org/2012/03/...usic-composer/

OKD: By the way, you worked on the PlayStation version of X3 while working on Biohazard correct, based on the release dates?

Tomozawa: Yes, but I had to compose only 1 music for X3 so I could compose [BioHazard].

OKD: That is to say, you did not work on the SNES version of X3, but the PlayStation version?

Tomozawa: Yes. I only composed [the] OP movie’s BGM [for the] overseas version.

Last edited by CHz; Oct 13, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:19 PM

Hey guy's, I have a personal theory I want to share.

There's a chance that Toshihiko Horiyama compose the "[Inset boss name] DEMO" Track's in the arrangement version of X3?

I think in this after ear "STAGE START" from X4. <--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyZ7ss7JpzM
Maybe It's just me, but... the first 3 seconds of that track appear in the middle (more of less) of the "[Inset boss name] DEMO" track's of X3 ARRANGE. <--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZoqPanZ1K8
I mean, maybe it's a previous version of what becomes STAGE START in X4.

And about the weird spelling of the tracks:

They are CORRECT, at least with the japanese version's of the games:

http://youtu.be/0GRMRBrF42k?t=5m3s <---X1

http://youtu.be/IW0tPmPGBxw?t=6m36s <---X2

http://youtu.be/FcnFytsnpr0?t=6m42s <---X3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNojiFOIDOg <---X4

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For X5 <--- http://youtu.be/glyDDF5fSdE?t=20s

& X6 http://youtu.be/yNoqiQQCV2o?t=10s

The japanese version's show the names in japanese.

The localized version of X6 have the same names who appear in the japanese version (by looking the tracklist).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmlDqr9zYcY <--- ONLY SHIELDNER SHELDON change to SHIELD SHELDON

Finally...
1. Disc 4 track 31 UNUSED TRACK "STAGE SLECT" <--- It's this an misspelled too, right?

2. Would' be correct add in the note field that info about those missing track's & the mistake about ENDING 2 incorrect name in disc 2 that Judge Ito post?

Last edited by folker84; Aug 13, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 03:36 PM

Question: The Rockman Rockman/Maverick Hunter soundtrack page says Makoto Tomozawa did Spark Mandrill... but the page for Rockman X box doesn't. Can anyone confirm or deny? If Tomozawa did do it that's awesome because I love his work on MM7, Legends and Mandrill would be the icing on the Makoto cake.

Edit: Okay, so from above I take it Spark Mandrill and Storm Eagle.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Dec 15, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 03:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Question: The Rockman Rockman/Maverick Hunter soundtrack page says Makoto Tomozawa did Spark Mandrill... but the page for Rockman X box doesn't. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Tomozowa confirmed writing Spark Mandrill and Storm Eagle by correspondence. That info is actually in the liner notes here for the X box set ("Makoto Tomozawa: 1.16, 1.17, possibly others").
Old Dec 15, 2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Tomozowa confirmed writing Spark Mandrill and Storm Eagle by correspondence. That info is actually in the liner notes here for the X box set ("Makoto Tomozawa: 1.16, 1.17, possibly others").
My bad... I failed to realize how late in the disc Spark and Eagle fell. You're right...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:52 PM
VGMdb Advisor

X1 full credits, yay >>
Old Jan 30, 2014, 03:33 PM

I knew Iwai did Chill Penguin. Also had a feeling Horiyama did the password BGM, and suspected that Yamamoto was the main composer.

I did not correctly guess Takehara's contribution, though. Thought she did Dr. Light and the ending theme.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:52 AM

:|
[Nerdgasm intensifies]
Old Dec 20, 2016, 03:40 PM

In the Composer line, Setsuo is misspelled as Setuo and it's linked, and I think only certain people can fix it.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 02:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Naoya Kamisaka's Twitter bio says he did X vs ZERO: https://twitter.com/naotanutanu

Quote:
作編曲家、ディレクターやっています。/ゲーム音楽、遊技機、アイドル等作曲/筆名:神坂なおや/代表作 X VS ZERO/8〜90'sゲーム音楽大好き/α7IIとオールドレンズでまったり写真撮影
Old Jan 27, 2020, 05:01 PM

He may have done more as well, a quick Babelfish indicates he thinks that track is his "masterpiece".
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Naoya Kamisaka's Twitter bio says he did X vs ZERO: https://twitter.com/naotanutanu
JASRAC says it was Naoto Tanaka (田中直人) =\