VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 7, 2011, 03:20 AM

Smile How do you want the music reviews too be

Hey every one, im a new user here.
i am currently working for the website Square enix music as a music reviewer by the name Harris and was wondering what do you guys think makes a good review for music, what you usually want to know.

please let me know about your opinions and ill be sure to reflect on them.

cheers

Last edited by eaze2011; Nov 7, 2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:37 AM

I think SEMO is well organizing their formats and overall tones despite multiple reviewers, so I suppose you could get some instructions from the site leaders to submit something that is at least 'good' by their standard. I remember their past reviewers who aren't active anymore were also pretty good and insightful.

However, one attempt that could be interesting to consider is to omit your personal preference and talk about less subjective matters. This is one of the few Eastern reviewing sites and the author (who I think is easily one of the best reviewers in the world, not only of the VGM community, but of all) actually doesn't mention so much as to whether he likes the track in question or not - instead he details how the track is used in the game, introduces lots of anecdotes about the soundtrack production, and then leave some opinions with little negativity. He usually only use basic musical terms, and it's mostly about instrumentation, synthesizer/performance quality, motif, and meter if any, while he's definitely capable of talking more and could be pedantic (and I always wish he exposed such ). I don't say his style is ultimate, but certainly believe he never fails to offer a great read to anyone, and every time I read through his works, I feel like being enlightened.

Of course, such a great piece of writing requires lots of times, and perhaps it's impossible to maintain a regularly updated website. I'm also aware Western reviewers are more lacking in chance to get the in-game context and information on the sound production of an Eastern game, though the exact opposite is true with Western games.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 06:06 AM

you know whenever i try to write a review, i always try to make sure that anyone can understand, yeah there are the old members who arent active anymore.

but i plan to really pick up the pace. ill have done many major game music reviews and will continue doing them.

thanks so much for letting me know what you think would be good.

here is one ive written for Batman arkham city, i tried my best to use the research and experience i had.
http://squareenixmusic.com/reviews/harris/batman.shtml

here is one for bf3
http://squareenixmusic.com/reviews/h...lefield3.shtml

btw may i know which reviewer you are talking about?

Last edited by eaze2011; Nov 7, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 02:13 PM
VGMdb Staff

Read the Batman AC review, I like it.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 09:04 PM

Glad to know, thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:34 AM

Your reviews are quite good, Harris. I know from experience what's it like to review some lengthy material, and my own obligations in life elsewhere really do compound too much for me sometimes.