VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The JP tracklist (transcribed from the official site I guess) had Chinese hanzi mixed, I think I fixed all of them but still needs to be rechecked (the font is tiny...).

Please, beware when adding JP tracklists from Chinese sources as sometimes they write the wrong characters, make a note if possible to recheck later. We don't want rogue hanzi in the tracklists do we? (can lead to incorrect translations too...)

Samples here, great stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...F5F6D62C0E7744
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:51 AM

Keiichi Okabe did this? Now I actually have to hunt it down and check it out!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Added a translation but I'm not sure how to word some of the tracks (102,107...), they seem a bit unnatural. Tips?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:27 PM

Funny how someone already has this in their collection..
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It's in his "Incoming" folder, though! CD Japan has shifted the status of my order from "Processed" to "In Shipping Process". I can't wait!

Earlier today I found the name of the singer, so I added it to the entry until we get more credits next week.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
It's in his "Incoming" folder, though! CD Japan has shifted the status of my order from "Processed" to "In Shipping Process". I can't wait!
I hope the volcano doesn't affect your shipment. I'm not sure how bad it is, but reading the news, lots of flights have been canceled lately. I'd imagine international shipments are delayed somewhat, but hopefully not for long.

As for me...CDJapan also states mine is in the shipping process! Woohoo! If I'm lucky, it'll arrive before the release date, but that happens once in a blue moon.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:00 PM

Tracklist updated in English based on the English tracklisting provided in the booklet. Unfortunately, no composer breakdown.

Added performer notes as well.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:59 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Hmm, a SQEX album by EX-NAMCO composers, don't often see that.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:32 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Some people from the development team at cavia (including director Taro Yoko) are ex-Namco as well so they knew each other from back then.

The same happened with Drakengard. Same developers, same friendships, I guess.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:35 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

I loves how widely available this great soundtrack is. I just added a listing for iTunes. It's no surprise that all of the review sites that I've read thus far give it their highest rating and how it's a consistent 5 star rating here on VGMdb. Perhaps the song "Grandma" is what caught KeyLogic's attention to the rest of the soundtrack.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The first person to rate this soundtrack below 5 will be beaten to death.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Quoted for truth.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:48 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Quote:
Hmm... KeyLogic will take his chances and test this out.

*Rates 4.5/5... phone rings*

"Hello? Hello?!"

*Click*

Wonder who that...

*phone rings again*

"Hello?!!!* Oh sorry ma, I thought... hey wait, you're not ma!

*Hangs up, runs back to computer to rate 5/5*

*Phone rings yet again*

"Ah... hello?"

ma: "Why did you hang up on me, son?!

"Oh wait, you really were... *facepalm*

*Grounded from using computer for a week; rating remains at 5/5*

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:57 AM

Someone didn't rate it 5/5. Let's get SS or Blah to give us the name and let's start the witch hunt!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor

It's Razakin. Let the manhunt begin.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:20 AM
Trusted Editor

Woah, with all this ruckus here this must be the album of the century?!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Woah, with all this ruckus here this must be the album of the century?!
It is indeed a good album, or at least it used to be before the rating dipped under 5/5, now KeyLogic is not so sure anymore.

Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:46 PM

After the initial "OMG!!!!!" shock value of this soundtrack wears off I'd say it's a 4.5/5 at best, so I totally just changed my rating and completely agree with my boy Razakin. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very impressive and excellent soundtrack but subsequent listens will never come close to how amazed I was during my first listen. It's almost as if I was in a trance or something when I first heard it, the vocal tracks were all so new-sounding, I was just blown away. Take that "new" feeling away and all you have is a good soundtrack, nothing magical.

I have a feeling that others will come to this realization eventually.

*runs away before people start getting violent*
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Huh, I didn't realize people were making this out to be something spectacular...
So I gave it a listen today, and didn't get any aural orgasm. First run would be a 4 for me.

(As for 5-Staring in general, it should be able to be a long term contender:
"Is this still going to be enjoyable and amazing when I listen to it 10 years or 20 years from now?"
Example: Super Mario Bros music passes that test = 5 star)

Last edited by Carl; Apr 27, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
After the initial "OMG!!!!!" shock value of this soundtrack wears off I'd say it's a 4.5/5 at best, so I totally just changed my rating and completely agree with my boy Razakin. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very impressive and excellent soundtrack but subsequent listens will never come close to how amazed I was during my first listen. It's almost as if I was in a trance or something when I first heard it, the vocal tracks were all so new-sounding, I was just blown away. Take that "new" feeling away and all you have is a good soundtrack, nothing magical.

I have a feeling that others will come to this realization eventually.

*runs away before people start getting violent*
Well I think we all feel like this really, just want to hype it up a bit for fun. I personally think it's around 4, would've liked some more variation in harmony and development but overall it's great. People need to stop being so serious
Old May 4, 2010, 09:55 AM

It's probably Okabe's voice on Sacred Dark from Tekken 6 too.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
Trusted Editor

Be happy oh hunters of my soul filled with awesomeness, I raised thy rating to 3 stars of mediocre listening for two hours.

All the fuzz about this proved to be an overhyped reaction from first listening. As usual. Carry on lads.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:50 AM

After talking with Keigo Hoashi, I discovered that he was responsible for Shadowlord, Shadowlord -White-note Remix- and the other battle themes. Keiichi Okabe was responsible for Grandma.

That's all I was able to get out of him so far, but he was very surprised that it wasn't broken down in the liner notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keigo Hoashi

I mainly did the boss fight music and strings arrangement, and piano performance for the most of the songs.

---

I am really glad that you like Shadowlord, and the remix...

That's my favorite work in NieR, and was hardest song to make
(because it's the last boss theme, has to be really good!).

And the remix is mostly improvised and I made it in
2 days, I was told to make the new arrangement 2 days before the deadline! lol

the song Grandma is Keiichi Okabe's work,
I will tell him you said that!
Old May 6, 2010, 02:38 PM

Loving this soundtrack. Anyone know all the different languages that they sing the songs in?
Old May 6, 2010, 02:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The interview with Emi Evans on OSV gives some insight on the languages, which are based on Gaelic, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, English and Japanese. I love the idea of thinking how these languages would sound in a distant future. The "future French" in Grandma is definitely mesmerizing.

But... no composers breakdown, no lyrics... that's a really disappointing booklet.
Old May 6, 2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
The interview with Emi Evans on OSV gives some insight on the languages, which are based on Gaelic, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, English and Japanese. I love the idea of thinking how these languages would sound in a distant future. The "future French" in Grandma is definitely mesmerizing.
This reminds me of the Final Fantasy Vocal collection soundtracks, also very memorable in my opinion, which had songs in all of the languages you've mentioned above except Gaelic, I believe. I think that I tend to like songs in other languages more then songs in English (Japanese lyrics of "Passion ~opening version~" from Kingdom Hearts II Original Soundtrack > English lyrics of the same song).

Quote:
But... no composers breakdown, no lyrics... that's a really disappointing booklet.
That's unfortunate. I would have loved a translation of the lyrics for "Grandma". That song in particular appeals to KeyLogic.

Old May 6, 2010, 11:33 PM

Wow, to think it's all made up languages...
I really like Grandma too, as well as so many other songs. It sounds so real though. Had me fooled. XD But thanks for the info. It's sad that there will never be lyrics that you can sing along to, even though not real languages, I would have wanted to. *sigh*

Quote:

Old May 7, 2010, 01:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLogic View Post
This reminds me of the Final Fantasy Vocal collection soundtracks, also very memorable in my opinion, which had songs in all of the languages you've mentioned above except Gaelic, I believe.
I listened to some tracks, and the music reminded me more of certain parts of Orrizonte and Royal Blood. I like those 'songs' on those albums, but listening to a whole album or game full of it would drive me nuts. It's like candy -- nice to have every once in a while, but you can't eat a whole meal of it.
Old May 8, 2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lania View Post
Wow, to think it's all made up languages...
I really like Grandma too, as well as so many other songs. It sounds so real though. Had me fooled. XD But thanks for the info. It's sad that there will never be lyrics that you can sing along to, even though not real languages, I would have wanted to. *sigh*
Yeah, KeyLogic tried searching online for the lyrics but came up with nothing. Perhaps they may surface one day, I hope.

LOL. Isn't English the most made-up of all of the languages mentioned there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I listened to some tracks, and the music reminded me more of certain parts of Orrizonte and Royal Blood. I like those 'songs' on those albums, but listening to a whole album or game full of it would drive me nuts. It's like candy -- nice to have every once in a while, but you can't eat a whole meal of it.
Yum, candy.

Well, there are some of us that have a sweet tooth; so listening to entire albums of music in foreign languages is actually quite enjoyable. But then again, too much candy can rot your teeth, not to say this type of music will do the same, just look at these sparkly whites:

Wait a minute...wha?

Last edited by KeyLogic; May 8, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 04:04 AM

Found this on YouTube, in the comments someone has written out the fake French lyrics for Grandma, which made me sort of happy, even though they may not be entirely correct, cause at least I can sing along now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWLEX...os=UCyBRVzZ5Ng