VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:31 PM

Can these two be linked to FFX and FF7 albums? Probably aren't linked because two names are in that field. Don't even know if they can be.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:49 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

You mean linked in the Related Albums? That's handled automatically right now, via the game field. As you mentioned, it should probably be changed to parse the field to account for multiple games separated by commas.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 07:50 AM
VGMdb Staff

What does 御月様 refer to anyway? Mitsuki-sama? "The Moon" seems incorrect to me...

Then there's ウティキサマ as well...
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
What does 御月様 refer to anyway? Mitsuki-sama? "The Moon" seems incorrect to me...

Then there's ウティキサマ as well...
As far as I know, the song is in Okinawan language, so the title might be too. It could be "Lady Moon", or something.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I guess it's supposed to be pronounced "utikisama", but normally it'd probably be gotsukisama. 御 ('go') is an honorific prefix while 様 ('sama') is an honorific suffix. If that's the case "The Moon" is fine, if you're keeping it gender neutral...
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:02 AM

ウティキサマ is furigana for 御月様, romaji should only have "Utikisama"
as for english tracklist, translating it would kill the "utikisama" reading

confirmation in booklet page 03
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:56 AM

As some have already guessed, it's the Okinawan people's pronunciation of otsukisama 御月様, a very familiar and respectful term for the moon that has no direct equivalent in English that would convey the nuances.

The Ryukyuan dialect has some phonological differences from mainland Japanese. For example, the standard Japanese "o" becomes "u" and "tsu" becomes "chi". E.g. tsuno 角 is pronounced chinu by the Okinawan people.

So it's actually "uchikisama" (using Hepburn romanisation). For whatever reason, they used nihon-shiki/kunrei-shiki romanisation for the pronunciation given in katakana in the tracklist here. Speaking as an L2 learner, it looks slightly retro/pre-Showa/Showa era to me, but that's just my impression. Would have to ask a native speaker what vibe they get from it in connection with Ryukyuan dialect.

In any case, this better be put as "Uchikisama" (with otsukisama not even mentioned, echoing Phonograph's suggestion) as it's basically exotic-sounding (hence the katakana) furigana for the preceding kanji. Unless the fact that it's using nihon-shiki/kunrei-shiki romanisation is more important than the correct pronunciation (which would also be a valid choice, just not one I'd go with).

Edit: Forgot a syllable...

Last edited by zierts; Apr 18, 2022 at 01:08 PM.