VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:18 AM
VGMdb Staff

What's exactly "Eryps"? In order for something to be a represented product here, it has to be game (visual novel also counts as a game), animation or publication (light novel, manga).
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:15 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I assume it was a way to get these albums to show up as related.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:53 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I assume it was a way to get these albums to show up as related.
That is correct. Isn't Related Albums an actual term that is albums that relate to it? Or is it a made-up term that only exists in vgmdb.net?

So now by removing what product it represented namely Eryps their Doujin work now it is like no other albums have any relation to other releases they have released. So I am wondering what the point of having such a thing in the first place unless it's a game or anime content. Even with those two (game/anime) becomes more vague as you may read here

Such confusion...

You'll have to forgive me as I'm a bit upset that I worked hours on all those entries to be as accurate as possible to have one or two be deleted on vague terms that seems to only exist in this website. So do whatever.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:11 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's not complicated really - is Eryps a game? Animation? Print publication (again, easy examples are light novel/manga)? It's not. So it isn't a represented product. Products are put there so they can indicate the CD in question has audio content (soundtrack, arrangements, talk, drama, remixes etc.) which can be associated with the products themselves. Far Cry 3 Soundtrack has game Far Cry 3 as a represented product because it obviously has soundtrack from the game... Numerous Touhou fan albums have Touhou game names in the products field because they contain fan arrangements from, well, Touhou games, etc.

As far as I can see, Eryps is a (one man?) doujin circle, not a product in vgmdb sense so you shouldn't make a product out of it when it's not, only for the purpose of showing their other albums. It doesn't work this way. Let's take some doujin group for example and they have one album with Touhou arrangements and another one with arrangements from Litttle Busters (for the moment let it be visual novel) - represented product for the first will be Touhou game(s) and for the second one, Little Busters. The albums quite naturally won't show up as related; they are done by the same doujin group but contain arrangements from different products. Is it clear now?

And if the album doesn't have any content from any eligible product, represented products field should be blank like it's the case with these Eryps albums. The reason why these albums will stay in the database isn't Eryps, it's the notable artists involved in them (Dani, Meramipop, Chata...). If it wasn't for these artists, the albums would be rejected because they aren't related with any game or animation as the primary criteria, so the involved artists have the role of secondary criteria.

Last edited by Efendija; Feb 3, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I should probably remove the related albums box from the page. It's caused confusion in the past, and I don't think coming up with a way to automatically generate a list of relevant albums will ever be feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
You'll have to forgive me as I'm a bit upset that I worked hours on all those entries to be as accurate as possible to have one or two be deleted on vague terms that seems to only exist in this website. So do whatever.
I didn't delete any of the entries you submitted. In fact, I think I treated them all in a manner that was respectful of your hard work -- linked the artists and event tags. They could probably still use a label page for the Spyre circle, and an artist page for Spyre. One or both of these would serve to provide some page where these albums are all grouped.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
It's not complicated really - is Eryps a game? Animation? Print publication (again, easy examples are light novel/manga)? It's not. So it isn't a represented product...
I figured by adding the individuals Doujin's circle name Eryps in this case it would bring awareness and generate Related Albums other users may come to know about. According to Eryps website, this individual prefers doing Original Works http://www.eryps.jp/
Spoiler:
ウェブ上でオリジナル音楽を製作しているコンポーザーです。作曲以外の部分(編曲・ボーカルなど)は外部の 方の協力の元楽曲を製作しております。素直でメロディアスな曲作りを心掛けています。Erypsは私Spy reの個人サークルです。

So with that in mind now knowing the music him/her is creating has no relation to other products your elaborating on. It is quite obvious that if Eryps was doing Touhou or some other known product I wouldn't bother to attempt placing Eryps under that field. So the product is Eryps, it's just not your definition as a staff.

Efendija, please don't think I am dumb as to just submit albums especially a Doujin work without a cause to put my time and effort into them. That is why I took the time to work on this and other Eryps works to the database because of those Performers and Composers (Chata, Dani, etc).

Look at this album http://vgmdb.net/album/1858
And I know for sure track #10 doesn't sound Final Fantasy at all. And it still gets labeled as Final Fantasy via Product? For a commercial many of us most likely never seen? I'm not knocking the album since I have it and love the music however doesn't it look forced? And really belongs under Uematsu's own original product line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I didn't delete any of the entries you submitted. In fact, I think I treated them all in a manner that was respectful of your hard work -- linked the artists and event tags. They could probably still use a label page for the Spyre circle, and an artist page for Spyre. One or both of these would serve to provide some page where these albums are all grouped.
I'll apologize for that. It was not my intention to make my words appear as it was directed towards you. I have no clue who deleted those entries so it made me upset and I didn't chose my words more carefully on how one would read my comment.

Quote:
I should probably remove the related albums box from the page. It's caused confusion in the past, and I don't think coming up with a way to automatically generate a list of relevant albums will ever be feasible.
I do not understand. Isn't Related Albums relating to the product? The issue seems to be what constitutes a product. From what I suspected all along as I noted in my first post and as Efendija re-confirmed is that it has to do with games or animation. So the issue is what occurs when none of those two requirements is fulfilled? If it's a Original Work as this album is and Phantasmagoria as noted above shouldn't it be for the under the Doujin group(s)? Or is that problematic? or better to leave it blank?

Related Albums means related to the product. The confusion to me is when that definition is redefined.
I prefer it be kept since it has helped me in the past with albums I never knew about. I rarely click on performers/composers page so it's the product that is key to me especially when some aren't properly labeled and doesn't use the known product name.

Last edited by ako; Feb 7, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:39 AM
VGMdb Staff

ako, I explain things sometimes generally and don't have intention to make anyone 'dumb' so I don't really know how you got that conclusion.
I'll say again: Eryps is not a product in vgmdb sense (because of the vgmdb rules established pretty long before I've even registered here, not because of my 'staff definition') so that's exactly why you can't put it there.

As for Phantasmagoria, it's enough that even one track (and obviously all of the others - original work) can be associated with a game or animation so that specific game/animation gets entered as a represented product. If the album consists entirely from original work which don't represent any game/animation, products field must be left blank.

And all of these recent Eryps entries of yours (seven in succession if I see correctly) are here, nothing was deleted.

Last edited by Efendija; Feb 7, 2013 at 05:31 AM.