VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:47 PM

Lightbulb Hay, DJ, play that request! (aka. where's all the music on VGMdb?)

As everyone is probably aware, VGMdb doesn't archive audio, samples, or previews of game music. However, we wouldn't be here if we didn't like listening to game music, would we? Well, I happen to have this large collection (sadly, not all listed in my profile yet) of CDs, and many excellent sources for more. I also have the permission and ability to play a lot of the music on my exclusively-game-music radio station.

Gigablah and I have been working on a little glue between VGMdb and Music and Gaming radio (which for now is just a little box in the corner of the MAGFest site) that allows album pages and my radio controller to communicate. So now, whenever you want to check which song is on "that one CD", or preview an album before buying it when online CD purchasing sites don't really have much in the way of game music, you'll now be able to send a request to my "DJ robot". Given that I've got the track (you won't see the request button to the right of the tracktime otherwise), and that there are no requests ahead of yours, you'll hear it right away at the next song change.

The list of requestable albums is maintained here. Although I don't have anywhere close to the number of albums VGMdb has cataloged, I am constantly adding more albums to the station in hopes that people will find something awesome they want to listen to. If you're an artist listed on VGMdb and you would like to send us your stuff, please feel free to send me a PM or E-mail and we can get it in the rotation. Additionally, we do accept VGM CD donations, though I know we have a lot of collectors so I'm guessing most people will want to hold onto their music. =]

Last but not least, a few quick notes about the station. It depends on my Internet connection, which is up most of the time but blips could knock it offline temporarily (98% of the time it will recover automatically). I broadcast in Vorbis because you can get great sound at a really low bitrate. And last but not least, every once in awhile we will run a live show so it won't interrupt us with your request (though you could certainly jump on IRC and request something there!). Conveniently, requests are stored until they are played, so even if we're running a show, it'll get played when we go back to "regular" mode.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and if you like what you see (hear), please let me know. I'm happy to field constructive criticism and curious about any feedback or questions you might have. If I have time, I can possibly even extend the station and make it more featureful, but that's the future. =]