VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 21, 2014, 05:10 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Default Kickstarters projects

This thread is here to talk, announce or just mention Kickstarter Projects that have a soundtrack as a price.

Reformation C64 Track Remakes by Matt Gray (ends Dec 2 2014)
The project is already funded, so it's worth mentioning it, and backing maybe.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 08:42 AM

Thanks for posting. Hope we will reach the other cool stretch goals for the "Reformation C64 Track Remakes by Matt Gray (Last Ninja 2)". Greetz
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:16 AM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ts-do-it-again
VIDEO GAMES LIVE: LEVEL 4! [Let's do it again!!!]
Ends Nov 28 2014
Not funded yet, but close (only 4500 USD now, with 5 days to go).
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:18 AM

If I may suggest, let's have one threads for announcements only and another for discussion. That way it will be easy to check for new VGM-related projects.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 08:37 AM

Hey Everyone. Only just found this site courtesy of Coin_Up. Thanks for mentioning my Kickstarter. It's not easy spreading the word, but well over 1,000 fans are going to get their hands on a fistful of CDs and new SIDs next year after supporting my Reformation album, which is basically me remaking all my best known C64 music using modern technology. Check out the project here cos there's only 3 days left until it closes. http://goo.gl/fSsE3J

Also check out my Soundcloud to hear just what sort of music you'll get when the project is done. https://soundcloud.com/mattgrayc64

Thanks and now I've got a whole new cool music site to check out here.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 02:03 AM
Trusted Editor

New project by Chris Huelsbeck:

The Piano Collection (CD and score book)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-and-limited-s

$10,000 pledge goal
ends January 11, 2015
Old Dec 1, 2014, 08:47 AM

There's just 17 hours left for Matt Gray's Reformation Kickstarter. Most backers already have 5 CDs worth of music to look forward to and there could be a 6th one if the £75k goal is reached by close.

http://goo.gl/fSsE3J
Old Dec 10, 2014, 03:25 PM

Know this post is not totally in-line with the spirit of this thread, but the Kickstater for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is still taking donations for their project until just before the 17th of December.

Although the purpose of the project is to fund the game, the soundtrack is a part of the rewards. You can obtain a digital copy with a $25.00 donation and $75.00 will get you a physical copy.

https://wayforward.com/games/shantae-half-genie-hero/
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:34 AM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-ix-oratorio/

I will pass, as I have not been impressed with either the project description, the rewards structure or the introduction video. But perhaps someone else will find this interesting.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:32 PM

A Rebirth of the Crystal~A Final Fantasy IX Oratorio~
Ends Feb 2, 2015.

Restart of the aborted campaign posted a month ago. I am still not convinced - the project description is a bit better than before, but still not something I would trust with my money. (Speaking of money, the reward structure is atrocious, I mean USD 500 for a physical CD, come on! I might be willing to pay that, but that would require the Daggerfall soundtrack or something similarly rare.)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:00 PM

Reno Video Game Symphony's First Album
Ends Feb 22, 2015
(Physical CD only for US-based backers, unfortunately. Have sent a question to the creator about that.)
Physical CDs available worldwide now.

Last edited by pepak; Jan 24, 2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 09:36 PM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Kickstarter. I have a love/hate mentality with the idea. On the one hand, I know that people need funding, and that things such as production are not cheap. At the same time, (and this given that I have several productions in the works myself), I do feel that it can be very unfair to put all the weight upon ones contributors, especially with such a high premium for something as meager as say, a t-shirt. I really do hope to make as good of a product without public funding so people can just get to enjoying the music at hand, but that is just me. I would even rather roll out the product slowly first with digital downloads before a full CD release so at least people have something good to listen to that will give an idea what the final product will be like while waiting for the full release. Just my opinion, but of course others may choose another path to glory.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Paladin View Post
I know that people need funding, and that things such as production are not cheap.
In my mind, Kickstarter's main boost is to the avalability and/or speed of release. You are correct that it places the burden of financing on the contribution, which is bad. But at the same time, it greatly speeds up the whole process. Without Kickstarter, we would still only have the 1993 Turrican album, rather than the awesome boxset we have now. I know that great many possible albums never came into being simply because there was not enough interest to assure the author that his time would be compensated; with Kickstarter, you can get that assurance quickly, with a high degree of certainty.

Quote:
especially with such a high premium for something as meager as say, a t-shirt.
Personally, I am not interested in T-shirts at all. It is unfortunate that many people are, and for that reason T-shirts take up the cheaper levels and I have to pay for them, even if I don't want them, if I prefer some of the more expensive rewards.

Quote:
I would even rather roll out the product slowly first with digital downloads before a full CD release
As a consumer, I would rather pay up front to be assured of the production of a CD, than to have a digital album released with a high probability that the physical product won't come out at all. I have seen that way too often :-(
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:23 AM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post

As a consumer, I would rather pay up front to be assured of the production of a CD, than to have a digital album released with a high probability that the physical product won't come out at all. I have seen that way too often :-(
It does happen that way quite often from what I have seen as well. I have to wonder whether it is simply a funding issue, or people realize they didn't have the dedication to go through with the project after all. Kickstarter, in that regard, probably forces people with lesser resolve to "get 'er done" whether they want to or not.

Fortunately for me, I can't stand lossy codecs like mp3's so not really a chance I would leave people with anything other than a Redbook standard in the end.

Last edited by Jazz Paladin; Jan 29, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:15 AM

Uncle Art: Elite II Orchestral & Retrogaming Music Remakes
Ends May 4, 2015
Old Apr 14, 2015, 09:59 AM

Project Sidologie - JARRE style Commodore 64 music remixes
Ends May 14, 2015
Old May 8, 2015, 03:05 AM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...akers-daughter

Feat. Hiroki Kikuta from Secret of Mana
Old May 12, 2015, 06:43 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Bloodstained : Ritual of the Night

New game by Koji Igarashi/IGA.
Already backed successfully in less than 24 hours.
Future soundtrack CD with music composed by Michiru Yamane and Ippo Yamada!
Old May 15, 2015, 12:06 AM

ZX Spectrum: a visual compendium by BITMAP BOOKS
Ends Jun 15, 2015

Several potential soundtracks available:

- at 50 GBP, C-JEFF AY MUSIC CD
- at 60 GBP, METAL MAN REMIXED Soundtrack CD
- if stretch goal of 75000 GBP is met, a CD of Spectrum remixes by Allister Brimble

Note: At the moment, you can't get both C-Jeff and Metal Man CDs, you have to choose one. I asked about combining the pledge, but no answer yet.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
- at 60 GBP, METAL MAN REMIXED Soundtrack CD
not only OST =) Metal Man Remixed is a new game. Special version of Metal Man Reloaded. This game is available only on the tape from Bitmap Books. Boxed release, including a soundtrack CD.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
ZX Spectrum: a visual compendium by BITMAP BOOKS
- if stretch goal of 75000 GBP is met, a CD of Spectrum remixes by Allister Brimble
The stretch goal has been reduced to 48000, which is almost funded already.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegorigin View Post
not only OST =) Metal Man Remixed is a new game. Special version of Metal Man Reloaded. This game is available only on the tape from Bitmap Books. Boxed release, including a soundtrack CD.
Sure, but here at VGMdb, the game is not relevant. The soundtrack is.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 09:08 AM

Eimear Noone Presents "Songs of Zelda: A Link to the Celts"
Ends Jul 15, 2015

"In Collaboration w/ Eimear Noone, The DIT Irish Traditional Music Ensemble Weaves Celtic Magic Through the Themes from Zelda."
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:03 AM

Shenmue 3
Ends Jul, 17 2015
Already funded.

Includes MP3 download for $160 and physical CD for $250. Way too much for me, considering that I don't care about the game, but might be interesting for someone.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:12 PM

The Bards Tale IV
Ends Jul 11 2015
Already funded.

The game has a 2 CD Soundtrack at the $95/105 level and the digital unlocks at $50.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 08:18 PM

Chrono Cinematica- Symphonic Chrono Trigger Tribute Album
Ends Jul 23, 2015

$25 for a physical CD.

I am unsure about the target price, $3000 seems a bit too low for a symphonic recording - unless it is meant to be performed on synthetisers.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Chrono Cinematica- Symphonic Chrono Trigger Tribute Album
Ends Jul 23, 2015

$25 for a physical CD.

I am unsure about the target price, $3000 seems a bit too low for a symphonic recording - unless it is meant to be performed on synthetisers.
Yeah, totally not going to be performed live. Remixers use the term "symphonic" to refer to using orchestral instruments--not necessarily with live players. If I had it my way, I'd delete the word "symphonic" from any fully synthesized score because it does kind of give the wrong impression (sometimes intentionally?)

Or at least be clever and make up a word like "synphonic" or something (no Actraiser reference intended, that actually was performed live)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 06:49 AM

Tel Me More

Jeroen Tel (C64's Cybernoid II, Stormlord, Myth, Golden Axe and many others) remixes the music of Jeroen Tel.

Ends about Aug 10, 2015 (stupid Indiegogo doesn't show the ending date, just number of days, and I am too lazy to count)

$20 for physical album.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:30 AM

Technically not a Kickstarter project, rather a Gofundme (link at the bottom, if you want to read my story and get a better idea as to who I am and what I do)

I've posted a few of my videos here, but never really received any feedback. I mean, if people aren't interested in what I do, then that's fine---I'm not going to try to force myself onto anyone. I would like to think that my work is somewhat exceptional, but perhaps that's just because I'm me. I'm self-aware enough to know that, in the end, maybe I just suck! Lol.

In any case, here's some of my stuff:

Mega Man 3 - Wily Boss Theme - Guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgmpF6bXJcU

Mega Man 2 - Metal Man Theme - Guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvmXVbntGl8

I'm just trying to keep up some sort of output with my covers and original chiptunes. I release them all for free on youtube, soundcloud, bandcamp, etc; so I'm not really trying to make any money off of this stuff. It's just my passion in life, and it's as simple as that---I'll do it just to do it. If enough people like what I do, and want to help make it easier for me to make more material, so much the better.

Anyway, here's the link:

www.gofundme.com/videogameguitarist

Last edited by DareBear; Aug 21, 2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:51 AM

Jake Kaufman Soundtrack For "Ghost Police"
Ends Nov 13, 2015

Quote:
As for the music, veteran musician Jake Kaufman will be providing original chiptune compositions for the game! Jake has created music for many videogames over the past decades including Shovel Knight, Ducktales Remastered, Double Dragon Neon and the Shantae series - incredible pedigree and versatility in many genres! It's a delight to have Jake bring his years of experience to the table - he's the reason this Kickstarter exists to begin with! However, you, the pledger, the gamer, are even more important to this Kickstarter, as you hold its fate in your very hands - so you deserve an honest and level-headed breakdown on where exactly your money is going!
Quote:
Rewards aren't factored into the budget, they are kept purely digital to save on further expenses. We know people will be disappointed there aren't physical items on the rewards list, but we also know people would be much more disappointed if the game made its pledge goal and the money spent on production and shipping left Jake and Steven out of pocket.
Seems like no CD version is planned, but digital soundtrack will be made available for GBP 10. No mention on the format provided or really any detail - it seems even though the Kickstarter is specifically for the soundtrack, the soundtrack is an afterthought in all project rewards. I will pass.

Last edited by pepak; Oct 14, 2015 at 10:53 AM.