VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 17, 2009, 01:11 PM

According to this website, these are the official track lists to this album, can anyone see what they can do with it?

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/hgs...2_popup01.html
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/hgs...2_popup02.html
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/hgs...2_popup03.html
Old Oct 17, 2009, 04:30 PM

I'm not sure but, does the 3rd CD contain original GB music?

It's great that we finally know who did what on the original soundtrack now. I always wanted to know what Junichi and Go did for the original game specifically.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:09 AM

ooh, track specific accreditation. NOTHING makes me happier. exciting!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The original Pokémon games were solely composed by Junichi Masuda, yes? Neither Go Ichinose nor anyone else involved in the music on the third disc are in the game's credits besides Masuda, and the OST for the original games which was released twelve years ago only credits Masuda. Plus, the track titles on that third disc all come from tracks on discs one and two, so all in all I'm fairly certain that it's not the soundtrack from the original games (and the part about it not being on CD before is just flat out wrong). My guess is that it's arrangements.

EDIT: Actually, I misread the sentence, "Discs 1 and 2 contain the arranged music from HeartGold & SoulSilver, while Disc 3 contains the classic soundtrack, never before released on CD." The phrase "classic soundtrack" made me think it was talking about the original games, which isn't necessarily the case (it's still ambiguous though). That said, I think this is reversed, and the OST is on discs 1-2 and disc 3 is arranged. Track 3.85 is called "Pokémon Channel Medley!", so...

Last edited by CHz; Oct 18, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:22 PM

Added the preliminary English tracklist for discs 1 & 2. Assistance in providing better translations is much appreciated. Awaiting disc 3 translation.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
The original Pokémon games were solely composed by Junichi Masuda, yes? Neither Go Ichinose nor anyone else involved in the music on the third disc are in the game's credits besides Masuda, and the OST for the original games which was released twelve years ago only credits Masuda. Plus, the track titles on that third disc all come from tracks on discs one and two, so all in all I'm fairly certain that it's not the soundtrack from the original games (and the part about it not being on CD before is just flat out wrong). My guess is that it's arrangements.

EDIT: Actually, I misread the sentence, "Discs 1 and 2 contain the arranged music from HeartGold & SoulSilver, while Disc 3 contains the classic soundtrack, never before released on CD." The phrase "classic soundtrack" made me think it was talking about the original games, which isn't necessarily the case (it's still ambiguous though). That said, I think this is reversed, and the OST is on discs 1-2 and disc 3 is arranged. Track 3.85 is called "Pokémon Channel Medley!", so...
Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying. But Junichi only did the score for Red/Blue/Yellow/Green by himself. For Gold/Silver/Crystal, as listed in the game credits, mentions Junichi and Go as the composers and arrangers. The MobyGames profile you're looking at is for Red/Blue/Green - we're talking Gold and Silver here. :P

You're misinterpreting the "Pokemon Channel Medley" part. This is a selection of subtracks (7 pieces mixed into 1, possibly one after the other) which have to do with the Radio functionality within the original game - where you use this little addition to your PokeGear. I think however, you're right about there being more to the 3rd CD than just the original pieces. It looks like there are remixes and other rearrangements as well. But the first 80 tracks appear to be from the original game (the credits listed on the official website for this soundtrack only mention Junichi and Go for the songs, much like the credits for the original game would've been). Also, the tracks on the 2nd and 3rd CD all mention the original composers for the songs, then go on to list the people who arranged them for HG/SS. This is as far as I can tell, though.

Although, we'll never know until we actually get to listen to the soundtrack. :P

EDIT: Actually we're both wrong. There are no remixes on the 3rd CD. It should be all Gold/Silver/Crystal tracks. The tracks marked with Morikazu Aoki (if you can read Japanese and not go with a translator) are all for Crystal - because he/she was specially hired for the new tracks (Battle Tower, etc), while Junichi and Go did the Opening sequence together. The reason for hiring a new composer to basically do the work for Junichi was because at this point, Junichi had been promoted to a Co-Director - so that's the reason why everything after Gold/Silver barely had anything besides the Battle stuff done by Junichi, because he was too busy with his new job as director.

But also more on the subject - having remixes/rearrangements and still manage to fit 99 tracks in one CD would be crazy. Which hints at the fact that the songs on 3rd cd would only have enough run time each for 1 loop (1 min total probably). So yeah, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume at this point that the 3rd CD is entirely Gameboy stuff from both Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Last edited by knuckles500; Oct 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 03:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, shows how much I know about the Pokémon games! Didn't know HeartGold and SoulSilver were remakes despite the obvious name connection, so when you said "original GB music" I didn't even think it could be G/S/C, which makes a lot more sense.

That said, Shota Kageyama and Hitomi Sato have some compositions on that third disc, and I couldn't see them in the music credits for G/S/C, so I don't think it's all original GBC tunes. Tracks 86-92 on disc 3 are all Pokéthlon themes, which was a mode apparently added for the HeartGold/SoulSilver remakes.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:14 PM

I finally got the soundtrack today, but it's a little misleading.

The 3rd disc doesn't contain the original Gameboy music - at least, they aren't using the sound processor the original Gameboy version had. The entire 3rd disc uses that weird simulated-gameboy add on you get during HeartGold/SoulSilver. So it doesn't sound as great as the original, but it does have everything, so...

Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:48 AM

Track listing cleaned up for consistency (as opposed to switching off between Japanese and English terminology every five seconds) and for plain sucky and/or completely ass-pulled translations.

I have class right now, so I'll come back for disc 3.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 07:25 PM

Finished up the polishing. Tracklist is now 100% accurate and faithful to the original translation.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:37 PM

Okay, uh,

*エンディング != "Staff Roll"
*こうそくせん != "S.S. Aqua" (full name is こうそくせんアクアごう, "High Speed Ferry S.S. Aqua")
*超古代ポケモン != "Legendary Pokemon of Hoenn" ("super-ancient Pokemon" also appears in the English games...)
*"戦闘!スイクン" != "Battle! Entei - Raikou - Suicune"
*If we're going with the moonspeak everything else, I don't see why not Pokemon names

Last edited by urutapu; Nov 6, 2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:13 AM

interesting tidbit i just discovered -- tracks 1.27 and 1.61 are the same. anyone else notice that? just thought i'd mention.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

A couple of late edits by Vulcan422:

Tin Tower --> Bell Tower
Battle! Superancient Pokémon --> Battle! Super-Ancient Pokémon

Are these reasonable?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:04 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks, that definitely verifies Tin Tower.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Battle! Superancient Pokémon --> Battle! Super-Ancient Pokémon

Are these reasonable?
Not Pokemon related, but I remove the dash based on this:
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Superan...ing_Coelacanth
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:35 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, but they probably just ran out of space on the card.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but they probably just ran out of space on the card.
Yeah, you're right
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Super-Ancient_Dinobeast
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles500 View Post
I finally got the soundtrack today, but it's a little misleading.

The 3rd disc doesn't contain the original Gameboy music - at least, they aren't using the sound processor the original Gameboy version had. The entire 3rd disc uses that weird simulated-gameboy add on you get during HeartGold/SoulSilver. So it doesn't sound as great as the original, but it does have everything, so...

I was actually worried when I read this post before I actually recieved it, however I have to disagree with the last bit.

It certainly does sound as great, and some of the tracks are even synth'd to the point the sound slightly better [Can't think of what the term is called, but when you play GB music on a TV/etc. the music becomes worse.] This however on the third disc is actually playable and doesn't cause this problem. For the most part they sound almost the same with just a better transition.

Factually, I don't see in any way they sound worse... Like I mentioned before they are almost the exact same EXCEPT the terrible static from playing on a better sound system doesn't happen. [I know I have a friend who torrented the original G/S/C soundtrack] Although I will admit, I wish they had made more discs so they could make certain tracks longer. [Trainer battles, Gym Leader, Champion and so on]
Old May 6, 2010, 07:35 PM

When there are discrepancies between the booklet and the official site, which information is better to favor? For example the actual booklet lists Junichi Masuda as the arranger for 3.07, but the site lists Morikazu Aoki as the arranger. We have a listing here that is based on the site's information. Should we change this to match the scans, or favor the website?
Old May 6, 2010, 11:10 PM

kyubihanyou:

Hi, you made the change I listed a little while ago, and while I know you think you're helping, I'm entirely capable of making the change myself. I've made over 50 changes to the system, concerning tracklists, album names, comments, and even composers / artists etc. Obviously, the issue was not me being able to make the change, but asking whether or not the change is actually for the better. There may be information proving Morikazu Aoki arranged this particular track that we don't know of, and the booklet's information may not be correct. Furthermore, I'd appreciate if you don't go ahead and make changes to errors I've found through hours of scrutiny after 9 months of this album's existing with no one (including yourself) catching the error. Again, I know you're trying to help, but the number of reasons I've listed here are pretty good reasons not to go ahead and make a change I'm asking staff to confirm on, especially since it's kind of rude to make a change to something someone else found while the issue of the change is in the interim of being verified by a staff member.

Unless you're staff or have some definite answer to my question, it's pretty rude of you to go ahead and make changes to someone else's findings without confirmation here in the discussion (you could have at least posted saying "Yes, that's fine to do, and I made the change).

Also, just to clear things up, I'm not doing this to gain credit or anything, or gain fame as an editor, but I'm just trying to contribute the things I find while ensuring the integrity of my own music library to this site. What I'm saying here is that, in the event of asking the staff for confirmation, it would be nice if I could go back and correct the things I actually found myself, since I took the time to find them, and it's a rewarding feeling. Otherwise, I would just go ahead and "shoot first, ask questions later" as they say, instead of trying to be polite and inquiring about a situation before acting on it.

Last edited by Medina; May 7, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old May 7, 2010, 02:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
When there are discrepancies between the booklet and the official site, which information is better to favor? For example the actual booklet lists Junichi Masuda as the arranger for 3.07, but the site lists Morikazu Aoki as the arranger. We have a listing here that is based on the site's information. Should we change this to match the scans, or favor the website?
I should know the answer to this question, but I'm not 100% sure. The website is dynamic, which means that generally it should be more accurate. I get the feeling it's not always the case, so I think that you should mention in the Notes field that there is conflicting information, but that the info on the website takes precedence.
Old May 7, 2010, 02:42 AM

Done. Thank you kindly, and this is why I ask.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to check the composers (and sure enough, found something). "Done" again.

Last edited by Medina; May 7, 2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old May 8, 2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I should know the answer to this question, but I'm not 100% sure. The website is dynamic, which means that generally it should be more accurate. I get the feeling it's not always the case, so I think that you should mention in the Notes field that there is conflicting information, but that the info on the website takes precedence.
Aoki composed additional pieces for Crystal. Masuda and Ichinose worked on Gold and Silver. So, given that the track in question was present in Gold and Silver, I would say that Masuda is responsible for it.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:10 AM

Maybe I don't understand. Morikazu Aoki composed music for Gold and Silver as well. As did Shota Kageyama and Hitomi Sato. There were five composers responsible for Gold and Silver's music, so I really don't see how we can say one of them was probably responsible for a certain track. I checked that track, and it doesn't have a history with either of the artists prior to this release.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Maybe I don't understand. Morikazu Aoki composed music for Gold and Silver as well. As did Shota Kageyama and Hitomi Sato.
not the original games. the original gold & silver were only Junichi Masuda and Go Ichinose. game credits here. the other composers are credited for some of the tracks on disc 3 because they are GB/chip versions of the original tracks composed specifically for HG/SS. i guess that's where the confusion is coming from.

logically, junichi masuda is the arranger of the track.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:53 AM

Oh! I see. I knew there was maybe something I was missing (I only know a little bit about Pokémon, sadly I haven't played most of the games). Okay, then Junichi Masuda is probably the arranger of that track. I don't know if you'd like to change that section in the notes or what, since I'm not quite sure what to say or do now. I think maybe we should still note the website's difference, so that people coming back to this much later don't bring this same issue around full circle again, but I'm not sure who to credit now.
Old May 9, 2010, 06:15 AM

It might be a possibility that some of the HeartGold & SoulSilver "GB Sounds" renditions are not identical to their original Game Boy counterparts. A lot of the Kanto tracks on the third disc are credited to Aoki, even though I'm very sure they were in Gold & Silver (while he worked on Crystal).

Or maybe Aoki got left out of the original Gold & Silver credits?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:47 AM

I know this is late Medina, but sorry. You were definitely correct in both discoveries, and I thought you knew your stuff but were hesitant in submitting a flawless case. Here's why:

-As the other OSTs of the four generations will show you, Junichi was always the composer and arranger of the battle themes' original forms.
-Another note of interest is that Morikazu did contribute to Gold & Silver by arranging the tunes from the first generation (i.e. the old Routes [11], Locales [Rock Tunnel and Celadon], and Themes [Battle Victories, Trainer Appearances, and Oak's Themes]). Morikazu must therefore be uncredited in Gold & Silver's credits because he did not work on anything completely new there, which includes the Wild Pokemon (Johto) piece.

*EDIT: My mistake. Morikazu did compose a few tracks in the original Gold & Silver versions including The Bug-Catching Contest 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place victory fanfares, the six Pokedex progress fanfares, the egg recieved fanfare, the Pokegear registration fanfare, and the technique forget fanfare. Even so, if he was left off despite composing three completely new tracks, then it is because they're all short and insignificant, unlike the battle themes.

-This makes the album right and the website wrong.

As for the other one...
-1.61=3.41
-3.41 is correct on both lists
-3.41 is composed and arranged by Go Ichinose
-Therefore, the composer of 1.61 should be Go, not Junichi. The website was incorrect.
-The website having this type of error is also further proof that it was wrong the first time too, making Junichi the arranger of 3.07 by even simpler logic.

Above all else, this is a fine example explaining that official websites are not the best sources of information, much to SS's dismay. Everytime I've seen a critical difference between an album and website, the album was always right.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 23, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
interesting tidbit i just discovered -- tracks 1.27 and 1.61 are the same. anyone else notice that? just thought i'd mention.
The main melody is the same but the harmony/rhythm in the background is different... at least that's what I hear.