VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 13, 2019, 05:56 AM

So, this is "remastered", which means they had access to the original master from KICA-7760 and tweaked it here and there?

Then, the newly added tracks (side D 11~17) aren't remastered but are freshly recorded from a Sega Saturn? Or are they newly-made remixes that don't appear in the Saturn game but are inspired by it? The track titles don't help much.

If it includes tracks from the Saturn game, does it include all of them? Just asking since I haven't played the game. Can't even find a list of the Saturn-exclusive songs.

I suppose what they call "Vampire Killer Remix" is the "Underground Garden", but is it Remix 1 or Remix 2?

And where's "Cursed Prison"? It doesn't sound like a remix of Bloody Tears or Beginning. I've read it's basically ripping off Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor by Bach, but I don't have the patience to compare.

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Oct 13, 2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 07:57 AM

No, "Chaconne in D Moll" is not included.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
And where's "Cursed Prison"? It doesn't sound like a remix of Bloody Tears or Beginning. I've read it's basically ripping off Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor by Bach, but I don't have the patience to compare.
That's my fav out of the Saturn tracks and comparing it, I can hear the resemblance. That may explain why it's missing.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 09:08 AM

There shouldn't be any reason to cut it if it's based on a piece of music that's in the public domain. There are plenty of examples of VGM that do that with no problem
Old Oct 13, 2019, 04:02 PM

So thats the only missing song? Can someone indicate where the 7 saturn tracks on side 7 appear in the game?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
It doesn't rip it off in the sense that the music is the same, it's just a very similar structure -- the bassline, harmony etc is somewhat different. Besides, even if it did, it's Bach so there's hardly any legal issues.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 06:12 AM

it's ok i don't care, i'm not the ip police, just something i had read somehwere

i'm more concerned about figuring out what's what in those seven saturn tracks
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:17 AM
VGMdb Staff

You can listen to those 7 Saturn tracks here if you haven't heard them. The Saturn version also has the Cursed Prison music linked above as well as different versions for Dance of Gold and Dance of Pearls. The Master Librarian music is slightly different sounding as well - as far as I can remember those are the differences between the two versions.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 04:33 PM

Dracula's Castle and Crystal Teardrops also have a few extra seconds near the loop point in the Saturn version too, due to how the music is looped in that console.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 04:14 AM

Huh I never know there were some slight variations. I've known the extra music forever though (I imported the Saturn one not all that long after it came out).
FWIW two of the tracks -- one of the Beginning tracks and one of the Bloody Tears tracks -- were released on that large box set they released in 2010, but this is AFAIK the first release of the rest, including 'Guardian' which I used to be obsessed with.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 08:59 AM

Since information about these tracks are pretty scattered throughout the web, I'll go ahead and centralise all the info I've obtained. I will edit the post later when I get the missing info (see bold). I will use the OST as the base, and we will try to take into account the rest of the tracks that are of interest to us individually:

-Extra Sega Saturn Tracks-
Track titles as they appear in the Sega Saturn sound test.

Chaconne c.moll
Game context: Cursed Prison.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #35. Original non-arranged track.

Vampire killer remix.1
Game context: Underground Garden.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #36. Jazzy-rock style.

Vampire killer remix.2
Game context: Soul Prison (inverted castle version of the Cursed Prison), Castle Entrance when playing as Maria.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #37. Electronic/rock style.

Begining remix.1
Game context: Hell Garden (inverted castle version of the Underground Garden).
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #38. Electronic/rock style. Available on the Music Collections Box (Disc 6, track 35) under the title "Beginning".

Begining remix.2
Game context: In-game sound test only.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #39. Jazz style.

Bloody Tears remix.1
Game context: Castle Entrance while playing as Richter.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #40. Rock/metal style. Available on the Music Collections Box (Disc 6, track 36) under the title "Bloody Tears".

Bloody Tears remix.2
Game context: Underground Garden boss battle.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #41. Rock/metal style. As far as I can tell, the two Bloody Tears remixes are the same but with different sounding guitars.

Guardian
Game context: Maria battle in the Castle Center while playing as Alucard, Shaft battle while playing as Maria.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #42. Original non-arranged track.

-Misc Tracks-

Dracula's Castle
Festival of Servants
Crystal Teardrops
Blood Relations
Research needed: Due to looping issues, the above tracks may have additional content/minor variations between PS1 and Saturn versions.

The Master Librarian
Game context: Meeting with The Master Librarian.
This song was in all the games, but not on the original OST release. Available on the Music Collections Box (Disc 6, track 33).
Research needed: Apparently the PS1 and Saturn versions sound slightly different.

Nocturne
Game context: Sprite familiar.
Available on the OST, in-game in the Sega Saturn version, the Japanese PS1 v1.2 revision ROM, and can only be ripped from the data files in the PS1 English version and not accessible in-game (without a cheat device).

-Unused/Other Tracks-

Dracula's Castle
Game context: n/a
Sony PlayStation disc exclusive. Dance style arrange of the track of the same name. Hidden track only accessible via CD players.
Research needed: Is it on the Sega Saturn disc?

Extra Track
Unused. Available on the Music Collections Box (disc 6, track 34).
Research needed: Apparently it can only be obtained by ripping it from the PS1 data files.

Silence
Game context: In-game sound test.
Unused.

Last edited by layzee; Oct 22, 2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 03:02 PM

I'll supplement the context for all of these:

Vampire killer remix.1
Game context: Underground Garden.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #36. Jazzy-rock style.

Vampire killer remix.2
Game context: Soul Prison (inverted castle version of the Cursed Prison), Castle Entrance when playing as Maria
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #37. Electronic/rock style.

Begining remix.1
Game context: Hell Garden (inverted castle version of the Underground Garden)
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #38. Electronic/rock style.

Begining remix.2
Game context: Unused in the game. Can only be listened in the sound test.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #39. Jazz style.

Bloody Tears remix.1
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #40. Rock/metal style.

Bloody Tears remix.2
Game context: Underground Garden boss battle.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #41. Rock/metal style. As far as I can tell, the two Bloody Tears remixes are the same but with different sounding guitars.

Guardian
Game context: Maria battle in the Castle Center while playing as Alucard, Shaft battle while playing as Maria.
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #42. Original non-arranged track.

Chaconne C Moll
Sega Saturn release exclusive. Original non-arranged track (debatable).
Old Oct 15, 2019, 06:41 PM

Thanks! That's really nice. This is what the guys releasing paid-for soundtracks should do.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
Chaconne C Moll
Sega Saturn release exclusive. Original non-arranged track (debatable).
Not sure what to debate here. It's certainly NOT the same piece as the Bach passaccaglia it's similar to. It also doesn't really sound like it's an authentic baroque piece.

Quote:
Nocturne
Game context: Sprite familiar.
Available on the OST, in-game in the PS1 Japanese v1.2 revision ROM, and can only be ripped from the data files in the PS1 English version and not accessible in-game (without a cheat device).
Yeah, you can trigger the song if you sit in a chair (at least in the Library). I assume this is the same behavior as in the PSX one.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Yeah, you can trigger the song if you sit in a chair (at least in the Library). I assume this is the same behavior as in the PSX one.

It is. However, the Saturn version has an additional requirement of having the Lyrics Card item equipped on one of Alucard's accessory slots.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 08:52 AM

A few more added information:

Quote:
Research needed: What relevant content is on the Akumajou Dracula Best Music Collections BOX? It's on my external HDD. Can't be bothered grabbing it.
Begining remix.1
Game context: Hell Garden (inverted castle version of the Underground Garden).
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #38. Electronic/rock style. Available on the Music Collections Box (Disc 6, track 35) under the title "Beginning".

Bloody Tears remix.1
Sega Saturn release exclusive. In-game sound test track #40. Rock/metal style. Available on the Music Collections Box (Disc 6, track 36) under the title "Bloody Tears".

Extra Track
Unused. Available on the Music Collections Box (disc 6, track 34).
Research needed: Apparently it can only be obtained by ripping it from the PS1 data files.

I also copied and pasted the info to the main OST discussion thread: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.ph...1&postcount=45
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:18 AM

I just purchased this and, this may seem odd, but I like listening to this on vinyl more than the CD. Not sure why.

One thing I want to point out, is it just me, or do the more "weary" parts/instruments of the songs sound more weary on the LP than the CD? I don't know if I'm just imagining that or something (my player setup or it being on vinyl) is enhancing the music to the point I'm hearing things I didn't hear before on rather simple/more anemic setups.

Also, I don't bring this up be a pill, but I kind of wish the new credits theme from the re-releases would have made it onto here. That would have been cool.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 08:10 PM

About the SotN soundtrack, I can't help but think, isn't there another music track in the game no one here has brought up?

I haven't played the game in years, in fact I gave my friend my copies for the PS1 and PSP cause he'll actually play the damn things, but isn't there another track that plays in the confession room in the Royal Chapel? It's kind of like a droning piece that plays and you can sit in the chair and one of two "ghosts" will sit in the other chair. I think if the male ghost appears he'll close the curtain and you'll get a face full of weaponry; I think the women just disappears. Are my memories correct here? Am I thinking of the correct game?

If correct, would this happen to be another midi like the Master Librarian piece? I get this isn't an important piece but I seem to remember it.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 08:27 PM

Yes, there is a unique track - probably MIDI - that plays in the confessional booth and nowhere else, not appearing on any soundtrack just like the shop theme (before this release).