VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:34 AM

Data from CD Japan and covers
Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:56 PM

While we lack a discussion on it and other member might think otherwise, I would drop all these "NBGI", since it just implies an organization where someone belongs.

For instance, in the former case, we wouldn't credit Dog Ear Records. In the latter case, though, we can say both the band and individual members are credited, so the performer field would be like "Earthbound Papas (Nobuo Uematsu, Michio Okamiya, Tsutomu Narita, Yoshitaka Hirota, Arata Hanyuda)". I admit it's not very clear, and I was the one who suggested taking a company as units occasionally, but "NBGI (Individual NBGI employee)" is pretty common among their releases anyway, and we've been just adding only individual names so far.

Quote:
Music composed by Nobuo Uematsu (Dog Ear Records)
Quote:
Music Performed by Earthbound Papas

Earthbound Papas are...
Nobuo Uematsu
Michio Okamiya
Tsutomu Narita
Yoshitaka Hirota
Arata Hanyuda
Also, we don't add game/anime character names unless we treat them as alias (once again, we can't give you a clear criterion for why some game characters have their own entries while others not...).
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We have an artist "765PRO ALLSTARS", and it's ok to credit the individual artist separately while crediting the group as well. I made some changes and linked them up.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:24 PM
Trusted Editor

Can someone remove the publisher and link this to the newer Nippon Columbia instead?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Fixed dat.

Perhaps we could come up with more distinctive display names for the two Nippon Columbias so it's easier to tell them apart while linking? nextday made the same mistake yesterday.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:29 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Fixed dat.

Perhaps we could come up with more distinctive display names for the two Nippon Columbias so it's easier to tell them apart while linking? nextday made the same mistake yesterday.
Well I think the problem is that the linking system can't distinguish between NIPPON COLUMBIA and Nippon Columbia.

The entry where I made a mistake yesterday had the publisher as NIPPON COLUMBIA in the text field, but the linking system guessed it was Nippon Columbia instead.

Also, is there any reason why publisher linking is restricted to staff only?

Edit: An idea, but I don't know if it's possible. The linking system could check the release date of an entry and defunct publisher dates. For example, since this entry is from 2011 and Nippon Columbia has been defunct since 2002, you shouldn't be able to link them.

Last edited by cal; Jan 27, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Well I think the problem is that the linking system can't distinguish between NIPPON COLUMBIA and Nippon Columbia.
It can distinguish the two, but currently select the wrong one by default (the lowercase one).

Anyway, I think it's a bad idea to have two publisher entries in the DB where the only difference is the capitalization.

EDIT: Where does this tracklist order (the japanese) one come from anyway? It's totally not the order from the actual disc...

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Jan 27, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
It can distinguish the two, but currently select the wrong one by default (the lowercase one).
Now that I think about it, it has trouble with a couple other publishers too.

Epic Records, for example, always defaults to Epic.

Last edited by cal; Jan 27, 2012 at 05:13 PM.