VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:41 PM

Lightbulb Rockman X 1 Composer Discussion

Having seen some posts talking about breakdown information of other games, i am interested in and thought i would try see what we could get out of talking about Rockman X music.

Now let's get down to business. :P

The first two that i can quite clearly confirm, though without proof from someone from capcom or an actual composer himself/herself, is that Storm Eagle is definitely from Setsuo Yamamoto considering its similarities to the theme of Cyclops from X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, and Boomer Kuwanger by observation and comparison is most definitely the works of Yuko Kadota/Takehara. I suspect that Launch Octopus is also from Yuko and that Spark Mandrill is from Setsuo. Sting Chameleon is also certainly from Setsuo. Chill Penguin might also be from Yuko due to one melody resembling that of Riverside Stage from Mighty Final Fight. Armored Armadillo is one i would like to know, I want to say Yuki Satomura/Iwai, however, whenever i look into the SPC files, Yuki songs always seem to leave a channel or two out supposedly so sound effects won't interrupt music, and AA does not do this, so unless she decided not to or they told her not to, it probably isn't, but whoever did AA seems to have also done Flame Mammoth. The boss theme sounds like it's probably from Yuko, not so sure about the boss beat theme or the boss intro. I can't exactly say where Makoto and Toshihiko come in to play here, i am not exactly familliar with their works, especially toshihiko, i don't recognize his stuff, nor do i know much of what makoto did, but it seems he did more of the other themes such as ending and cut-scene themes and such cause i hear something about him being one to do classical influenced music. Variable X is either Yuko or Setsuo, it sort of sounds like Shade Man's theme, yet it also sounds like something from X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse. Sigma 1 is Setsuo Yamamoto without a doubt, again, sounds like X-Men MA, also setsuo likes the distortion guitar.

Well, this is all i can consider for now, sorry if i seem a little off sometimes, this is just me making assumptions and trying to pick apart by getting deep into their works.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:38 AM

Another game that Yamamoto and Takehara worked on is Final Fight 2.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?...88&profile=set

You'll find strong musical similarities to X1. Worth checking out, though it won't help much with separating those two apart, obviously :b

one thing I noticed is that X2 sounds more rock oriented on the whole, quite different to X1 to my ears. By that logic I would have said that in contrast to your guesses, Yuko was responsible for some of the rockier songs, and other composers did things like Boomer Kuwanger and Chill Penguin.

Quote:
however, whenever i look into the SPC files, Yuki songs always seem to leave a channel or two out supposedly so sound effects won't interrupt music, and AA does not do this, so unless she decided not to or they told her not to, it probably isn't, but whoever did AA seems to have also done Flame Mammoth
I'm not sure channel usage is indicative of composers actually. More likely that decision would be made by a sound implementation guy, unless they were also responsible for sound implementation. Again, it's all sort of vague. We need some interviews~
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:22 PM

I am well aware of the FF2 music's similarities to RMX, in fact, i actually heard FF2's music first :P, so RMX's music actually put me in mind of FF2 when i first heard it.

As for X2, X2 was composed by Yuki Iwai, not Yuko. And even then, not all songs were rock style in X2, maybe about half and half? Also, it has been confirmed that one rock styled tune was from Setsuo Yamamoto, and it is obvious storm eagle is his work as it resembles Cyclops's theme from X-Men MA. Comparison of musical style rather than theme is more what i go by, and that is how i got boomer kuwanger being yuko's, i hear many elements that mirror that of her other works, there's slash man elements, BoF2 elements, RM6 elements, etc. And it progresses much like a yuko song, so yeah.

As for the channel usage, maybe, but Yuki also worked on FF2 and there is one song in there that leaves out two channels, it's the France Stage theme, and it sort of sounds like a SFIII theme, which yuki also worked on. As for Sound implementation, the composers do have a little to do with what they work with. They pick the style of music they do, the instruments set up for them, how they want to lay it out, including the ammount of channels they use, the channel usage and how they want vibrato to be done, or how they want to blend things together or make an extra effect aside from what the sound directors set up for them, it's up to them.

And yes, i do quite agree about the interviews. As i have said many times in the past, i would love an interview with Yuko, there are some things to do with her i want to know, we just need to know how to get in contact with her.

Anyway, sorry if i seemed condescending, i did not intend to be, just mind that i was merely giving out my point from what i know, and do not in any way intend to put anyone down.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarukameiKasumo View Post
Also, it has been confirmed that one rock styled tune was from Setsuo Yamamoto, and it is obvious storm eagle is his work as it resembles Cyclops's theme from X-Men MA.
Just because a track is "kinda similar" to a track from another game is hardly confirmation they were done by the same composer. Please don't assert your own conjecture as fact.

Are you even sure that Yamamoto was the only composer on X-Men MA?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:26 PM

I am sorry about that, i should have said "think it might be"

And to be honest, i did wonder whether or not Setsuo was the only one, but from everything i've seen, he is.

As for it being kind of similar, it is actually very similar, in fact, it is almost the same song, and it has many other elements of setsuo's work that i'm aware of as well.

Anyway, let's not flood the topic talking about this.

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Oct 25, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
X2 was composed by Yuki Iwai, not Yuko.
haha oops, my bad. the names are too similar :[

Quote:
Comparison of musical style rather than theme is more what i go by
that is what i'm doing, although i generalised for the sake of brevity. in the case of takehara i'm not overly familiar with her style, however her other work that I have heard (breath of fire 2 for instance) does not sound much alike X1 to me (at micro or macro level) while x-men mutant apocalypse sounds much more alike X1, musicalogically as well as the sample set, definitely more so than X2 i reckon. that's why i feel yamamoto had a significant role on X1, and that final fight 2 is similar to both x-men and x1 only emphasises that point. he is the common denominator, while takehara and iwai's other output doesn't seem as alike. anyway, that's how i'm looking at it. right now though, there's way too many uncertainties. i'd be unable to speculate on who wrote what song in great detail at this point due to lack of familiarity with all the names listed, i'd have to go check out all their other works, which would take some time. hah. given the number of sound staff that worked on the game though there's got to be a good chance that one of them will eventually say something about it in an interview.

anyway, it's a very interesting discussion. i've wanted more details about the X1 soundtrack for a long time.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:59 PM

This discussion is long overdue.

Another score to check out is:
http://vgmdb.net/album/1689
http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?...33&profile=set

Yamamoto handled the stages and endings for Birdie and Adon; Takehara did the same for Nash and Rose. Perhaps listening to those might help inform us about either composer's style. Nash in particular made me think of Slashman from MM7, which is already confirmed to be Takehara's composition.

Yuki Iwai's score to X2 is quite unique. She surprises us with introductions that don't suggest the main body of a piece; she likes mixed, compound, and sometimes synthesthetic rhythms; and she often has some pretty wild percussion going on. These features are useful when examining what she might have done for X1. For example, the unusually long and unpredictable introduction of Chill Penguin followed by the triplet figure rhythm in the main body makes me think it's her work.

I'm no expert on Yamamoto, but his style seems fairly rudimentary--at least compared to Iwai, whose music for X2 seems to be constantly alert and in motion. She's also more likely to use chromatic movement in her melodies, and often harmonizes the melody with a second melody instrument which is also used for counterpoint (adding to the effect of constant motion). Takehara, as we well know, tends to gravitate toward simpler arrangements and conventional, deliberate chord progressions.

I can't say anything about Tomozawa, and Horiyama I'm only familiar with through Rockman & Forte.

In general, I feel Takehara did not have a large role in X1. Although I'm pretty sure she did the Dr. Light theme. And as I pointed out above, Chill Penguin seems most like Iwai's work. I think Sigma Fortress 2 might be hers too. As for Yamamoto, he's certainly the best candidate for Flame Mammoth, Sigma Battle 1, the title screen, and the stage select themes.

Sigma Battle 2 and Sigma's Defeat obviously belong to the same person.

I'm also going to have to go against the grain here and say that I think Iwai did the intro stage and Storm Eagle. Just have a listen to Wheel Gator from X2. Whomever the composer, I think it's likely s/he did both Storm Eagle and the intro stage.

I'd like to revisit this thread and try for a more detailed breakdown, but in the meantime, I hope the discussion continues and more people will post their thoughts.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:58 PM

Since Jormun was kind enough to do this for RM&F, I'll bring my stuff over, especially since this topic caught like wildfire.

Setsuo Yamamoto: Title, Opening Stage, Zero, Stage Select 1, Stage Start, Launcher Octopuld Stage, Burnin' Noumander Stage, Spark Mandriller Stage, Storm Eagleed Stage, Boss 1, Boss 2, Stage Clear, Get a Weapon, Stage Select 2, Sigma Stage 1, Sigma Stage 2, Sigma Stage 4, Sigma 1st, Sigma Rebirth, Sigma 2nd, Cast Roll, Staff Roll
-Zero confirmed via Rockman Zero's Theme of Zero [originally composed by Setsuo Yamamoto; additional composition by Ippo Yamada].
-Key instruments: Hard rock guitar, bass, chimes
-What the music says to me: "Engage"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M47BS6owpA - Theme of Zero (Z1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rvgzkMqs2s - Zero (X1)

Makoto Tomozawa: Vava 1, Vava 2, Demo, Sigma Stage 3, Ending
-Vava 1 and Vava 2 confirmed via Rockman Zero 3's Scrapped Beat [Tomozawa given composition credit, but was not credited for "Music" in-game, but rather "Special Thanks"]. They all share the same four note melody.
-Key instruments: Violins and bells
-Powerful and well-composed; Demo and Ending fit to X's "variability," just as Zero is "absolute."
-What the music says to me: "Somber story of perseverance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ofkvmx39Fs - Scrapped Beat (0:26 to 0:52)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VW1yFzZqIA - Vava 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeB-J1At7uk - Vava 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oR7Ld67-uM - Zero 3 credits (1:06 ; 2:04)

Yuki Iwai: Sting Chameleao Stage, Armor Armarge Stage
-Key instrument: Distortion guitar
-Anything with her signature high pitch and sharpness; more "plucky" bass than Setsuo
-What the music says to me: "Survive the mayhem"

Yuko Takehara: Icy Penguigo Stage, Boomer Kuwanger Stage
-Key instrument: High-pitched bleeps
-Minimalist air (sound as if they were composed in 8-bit and then enhanced with different instruments)
-Kuwanger also sounds like Tomahawkman to me (they both have the DUN-DUN-DUN-dun part at the end of the penultimate segment)
-What the music says to me: "Slow but thorough affair"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_IVbuC1ZSs - Boomer Kuwanger (0:43-0:45)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-3Xd43OGo - Tomahawk Man (0:43-0:45)

Toshihiko Horiyama: Pass Word, Dr. Right
-Key instrument: Piano
-Both use same-sounding instruments and end in the same way as Demo 1 from Rockman X4; with a long held note.
-Both of these just seem so out of place and different from the others
-What the music says to me: "Dramatic foreboding"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt_3NdELNsY - Demo 1 (X4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJZwOEMuDgs - Dr. Right (X1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4r0OirYfU - Pass Word (X1)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Nov 16, 2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:57 PM

Well, one thing i notice about setsuo is that his music stays a lot more consistant in comparison to yuki and especially yuko throughout the song. Yuko's music almost always goes through stages of evolving, not all of it, but a lot of her songs seem to constantly evolve to form into a certain emotion relating to the moment wheras Setsuo keeps more on one level. Yuki is kind of in between the two from what i notice. Again, this does not apply to everything they do, just a lot of it. Another thing i notice about yuki's music is that she'll include a sort of "quick" melody if you will(not sure if you know what i mean here, and no, i don't mean one that passes by fast), AA does do this, as do songs like Volcanic Fury, and Magna Centipede from X2 and then they end up forming into a sort of "stronger" one(if they do). This is also why i think Gambit's theme in X-Men vs Street Fighter was by her. That's just one thing i notice.

And yeah, that's another thing i forgot to mention with Boomer Kuwanger, it shares one element with Tomahawk Man's theme, also by Yuko.

Another thing to note about Yuko is her constant use of hi-hats, like she keeps constantly stepping on the pedal and they eventually go into an open-hat. I don't really seem to hear her signature five cymbal crash in this game(well the boss theme kind of has it, which is why i think she made it), i have said she doesn't always use it, but remember, if you hear any capcom song that does, yuko has touched it.

Also, why i think she did launch octopus is cause when i hear it it sort of does match up with a couple RM6 songs, and it ends like a lot of her works seems to, it often seems to end a tad beyond what it needs to end on(not that it's a bad thing, mind), BK does this as well.

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Oct 25, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:15 AM

According to this:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-...8/cd-x1-6.html
Setsuo did Opening Stage, Armadillo, Sigma Stage 1 and Sigma Rebirth.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:37 AM

Armored Armadillo being by setsuo really didn't surprise me, he was actually my first choice with that one, but then i got to thinking maybe yuki did this one. Are you sure this is a full list, though? Cause i would have figured he did storm eagle.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarukameiKasumo View Post
Are you sure this is a full list, though?
This is not the full list.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:58 AM

funnily, armored armadillo is the only one there that i do find somewhat surprising. i feel i am coming at yamamoto from a totally different angle to everyone else in this thread. :b
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:10 PM

I'm very surprised about Armored Armadillo.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:52 PM

@Blitz Lunar & Jormungand
You're not alone, trust me.

However, I can't confirm this myself. The page only comes up as mish-mash to me. At least with that source for the Super Metroid OST I could tell that a set of symbols representing the artist name corresponded to whatever tracks they were associated with.

I also find it strange that on a page that supposedly includes X1-6 based on the name, it only mentions X1, specifically only Setsuo Yamaoto. Is there anymore information on that page besides that? I honestly can't tell.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:03 PM

That site has a transcription of this:
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=36565
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnX View Post
That site has a transcription of this:
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=36565
It's official... I'm ignorant.

-Third paragraph, first sentence confirms Opening Stage.
-Third paragraph, fourth sentence confirms Armor Armarge and Sigma Stage 1.
-Third paragraph, last sentence refers to "Last Boss Sigma" and "Intro for Sigma Form," so I think it refers to Sigma 1st and Sigma 2nd as well as Sigma Rebirth.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Nov 16, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:04 PM

Well, as i said, i assumed Setsuo at first and for the longest time when i heard the song. But then i began to suspect yuki satomura later. But it's the way the cymbals were done that made me assume setsuo at first, and the later part sort of resembles psylocke's theme from X-Men MA. Also, i am listening to it now and when i really listen in to the drums, they sound very setsuo-ey, listen to wolverine's theme from X-Men MA and you'll see what i mean, in fact, the whole song is very similar, but then i also heard some yuki iwai qualities to it and wasn't sure.

As for other songs done by Setsuo, i am definitely going to say Sting Chameleon because Setsuo always seems to love using those drum patterns. The beats are also quite similar to the character select screen from X-Men MA, and it's kind of in that same tempo, also its similarities to AA as well.

Sigma Battle 1 is obviously Setsuo, that i could tell even before the confirmation, it sounds very much like X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, the melody and the whole style of the song sound like his stuff. It very much resembles the speedier songs from the game as well. I also suspect sigma stage 3 is his as well, listen to Mutant Insect Cave(Mission 2) and you'll hear the resemblance. Psylocke's theme in the intro also has that sound to it.

Well, i listened in and think i might have changed my mind of Chill Penguin being Yuko's it has much more Yuki Qualitites to it, i listened to Morph Moph's stage and Bubble-Crab, they share many similarities, also, the strings fade a lot, and as i said many times in the past, yuki has a habit of making instruments fade when finished. The song that sounds the most like X2.

So far it seems yuko only did 3 songs, if i'm correct with what she did. To recap, Boomer Kuwanger, Launch Octopus, Boss. We'll have to see on that one.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 05:04 AM

HarukameiKasumo, i was thinking, it might be a good idea to put a full tracklist of the soundtrack in your initial post, with composers listed for the tracks that have been confirmed as their respective works. there's a lot of good info in this thread (already!) which would benefit from that sort of consolidation.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:59 PM

Being a big fan of Yuki Iwai, I've always thought she had a pretty unique sound and was fairly unorthodox, especially her harmonic structuring. This leads me to believe she composed something like Sigma Fortress 2. Other guesses: Sigma Battle 2, Sigma Defeated (pretty much sounds like a continuation of the proceeding), Ending, Staff Roll... I'm beginning to see a trend here; mostly the end game tunes.

Yuko Takehara tends to compose very simplistic tunes with basic structuring. She seems to focus on simple melodies and rhythms. She doesn't seem one for using complex syncopations or the like. I'm not a big fan of hers, and maybe for this reason, but I do love the MMX soundtrack so maybe she was doing something right somewhere.

I'm not all that familiar with the other composers, but I definitely noticed the similarities between X-Men: MA Cyclop's theme and Storm Eagle myself. Same key, same scale. But then again, it could be a mere coincidence, or Setsuo being influencing by a peer who wrote Storm Eagle. The speculating can go so many ways.

Maybe I'll give this a full spin sometime and see what else I can speculate.

P.S. - Whoever wrote Spark Mandrill is the fucking champ.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Oct 29, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:23 PM

Well i gave it a listen, and i think it's Yuko Takehara as i hear some of Nash's theme in there.

I could be wrong about yuko, but it came to mind, also the fact that boomer kuwanger had some similarities to it. If not, then i'd say Setsuo Yamamoto as the drums mirror Cyclops' theme from X-Men: MA, but i suspect yuko might have possibly done it. I hear one part that sort of reminds me of nash's theme, and it has the same energy of his SFZ1(the only version Yuko had her hands on) and those constant use of fast toms.

Just a guess.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:49 PM

Well, i'm going to put a list of both what has been confirmed and what i think, ones i don't know i will put a ?(and if i wonder, i will add a name and add a question mark in parentheses) And, of course, ones that have been confirmed will be in bold text.

02 TITLE: Setsuo Yamamoto
03 PASS WORD: Toshihiko Horiyama(?)
04 OPENING STAGE: Setsuo Yamamoto
05 VAVA 1: Yuko Takehara(?)
06 VAVA 2: Yuki Iwai(?)
07 ZERO: Setsuo Yamamoto
08 DEMO: Yuko Takehara or Setsuo Yamamoto
09 STAGE SELECT 1: ?
10 STAGE START: ?
11 LAUNCHER OCTOPULD STAGE: Yuko Takehara
12 ICY PENGUIGO STAGE: Yuki Iwai
13 BURNIN' NOUMANDER STAGE: Setsuo Yamamoto
14 BOOMER KUWANGER STAGE: Yuko Takehara
15 STING CHAMELEAO STAGE: Setsuo Yamamoto
16 SPARK MANDRILLER STAGE: Yuko Takehara
17 STORM EAGLEED STAGE: Setsuo Yamamoto
18 ARMOR ARMARGE STAGE: Setsuo Yamamoto
19 BOSS 1: ?
20 BOSS 2: Yuko Takehara
21 STAGE CLEAR: Yuko Takehara(?)
22 GET A WEAPON: ?
23 STAGE SELECT 2: Yuko Takehara
24 SIGMA STAGE 1: Setsuo Yamamoto
25 SIGMA STAGE 2: Yuki Iwai(?)
26 SIGMA STAGE 3: Setsuo Yamamoto
27 SIGMA STAGE 4: ???
28 SIGMA 1st: Setsuo Yamamoto
29 SIGMA REBIRTH: Setsuo Yamamoto
30 SIGMA 2nd: Setsuo Yamamoto
31 Dr.RIGHT: Yuko Takehara
32 ENDING: Makoto Tomozawa(?)
33 CAST ROLL: ?
34 STAFF ROLL: Setsuo Yamamoto(?)

That's my list, sorry i couldn't speak much for toshihiko and makoto, i am not too familliar with their styles, i do know a little of toshihiko due to llistening to Rockman X4's OST, but other than that i can not speak for him too much. Makoto on the other hand i have no say on him, i would need to get adjusted to his style to figure this out.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:42 PM

This is unrelated, but could I ask what's with the weird stage names? They sound like they come from a pretty awful miscarriage of Engrish.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:44 PM

thanks for posting the list. VAVA 1+2 are listed as being Tomozou's on the X1~6 album, those can be listed as confirmed too I guess. well golly, that's 9 songs demystefied. and setsuo did 21 of the 33 tracks? i hate to say it but.... i won't say it. although theoretically that should mean the 12 (well, 10) that aren't his should be more obvious. hmmm... all very interesting food for thought. really grateful for everyone's input on this so far.

EDIT: i think i will give these songs and their composers more thought tomorrow. i think with this renewed information i can make some better headways into some of these other songs. just for the sake of interest, of course. though i would also like to retag the snesmusic SPC set with the confirmed composer infos.

EDIT: oh. he was age 21. poop.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Nov 17, 2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:54 PM

Wait, are we certain the first line says he did 21 tracks or that he was the age of 21 at the time?

Doing a little more studying: Opening Stage, Armored Armadillo, Flame Mammoth, Launch Octopus, Spark Mandrill & Sting Chameleon all share a very similar sound harmonically. More or less in a minor scale with semblances of blues scale riffing. Even a lot of the "B sections" (Armored, Flame, Launch, Spark) share similar chord progressions (VI-VII-v-i [I hope I got that right]). Opening & Sting differ a bit there, but the way it flows sounds all very similar, so I would chalk these up to Yamamoto.

Chill & Boomer are definitely the odd ones out.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Nov 16, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
Wait, are we certain the first line says he did 21 tracks or that he was the age of 21 at the time?
Damn, you're right; 歳 does mean age.

In my defense, I did have a question mark next to that statement.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:55 AM

Yeah, it is basically telling about setsuo and his work with Rockman X.

As for when it comes to who did who, i wish we could actually get in contact with some of these composers, i remember someone mentioning they got in contact with Yoshihiro Sakaguchi and i think Manami Matsumae, maybe you guys could also track down Yuko Takehara, Yuki Iwai, etc?(pweeeeeze?)

Also, something else i noticed is that Roll's theme from MvC has a similar bass to Boomer Kuwanger, which also had Yuko on its OST...(chalks up another line on Yuko's part with Boomer Kuwanger)...Possibility?...hee hee

It seems to me that Setsuo dominated the OST if i am right here, it was like there were many more composers but it was more setsuo's game here, like the opposite with Mighty Final Fight, i can tell yuko did more than setsuo there, i can only hear Setsuo in Harbor Town, everything else seems to be the work of Yuko.

I still have my money on her having done Spark Mandrill as well. I assumed Setsuo, but when i really listened in to it, it sort of sounds along the lines of Boomer Kuwanger and Nash's theme, so i changed my mind.

I can't believe i didn't see this coming, but Yuki having done Chill Penguin makes sense, cause i always thought it sounded familliar, and i found out she also did (Spanish Claw)Balrog's SFZ3 theme, which i realised Chill Penguin was similar to. I also hear more X2 in that one, and it also emphasizes her love for making certain instruments fade(unlike most others) after going on for a few. This is one trigger to recognizing Yuki's work, i also listened to more of her's, and picked out her style a little better. Not to go off topic here, but contrary to many other people out here, i am not particularly a fan of her work, i mean, i like her work in Marvel Superheroes, but in many other games, such as Rockman X2, i am not a big fan of it, RMX2 sounds more experimental to me as opposed to X1, which relied more on capturing an epic action feel, which just does it better for me IMO.

Yuki Iwai
Morph Moph
Chill Penguin RMX1
Balrog/Vega Alpha 3
Flame Stag
Wolverine
(Last two for examples of her trademark fading)

Yuko Takehara
Boomer Kuwanger
Spark Mandrill
Tomahawk Man
Roll
Nash
I'll Do It

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Nov 17, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:14 AM

Upon further review of the evidence, especially that provided by good ol' CosmoBuggi up above, I've redefined my breakdown as such.
[Bold = Confirmed, Italics = Implied]

Setsuo Yamamoto: Title, Pass Word, Opening Stage, Zero, Stage Select 1, Stage Start, Launcher Octopuld Stage, Burnin' Noumander Stage, Sting Chameleao Stage, Spark Mandriller Stage, Storm Eagleed Stage, Armor Armarge Stage, Boss 1, Boss 2, Stage Clear, Get a Weapon, Stage Select 2, Sigma Stage 1, Sigma Stage 2, Sigma Stage 4, Sigma 1st, Sigma Rebirth, Sigma 2nd, Cast Roll, Staff Roll

Makoto Tomozawa: Vava 1, Vava 2, Demo, Sigma Stage 3, Ending

Yuki Iwai: Icy Penguigo Stage

Yuko Takehara: Boomer Kuwanger Stage

Toshihiko Horiyama: Dr. Right

-Since Armor Armarge was the one I thought was definitely Yuki's, I decided to move the other (Sting Chameleao) to Setsuo because it has those same hard rock elements as his other tracks
-Marvel Super Heroes and the rest of the VS. series really helped me in seeing Yuki's fade-style, so I've now made Icy Penguigo Yuki's one and only. Boomer Kuwanger, which is now Yuko's one and only, is definitely not going anywhere soon.
-As for Toshihiko Horiyama, if I had to choose one of the two, it would have to be Dr. Right because the same violins in Pass Word can be heard in Cast Roll. Therefore, Pass Word is moved up to Setsuo
*Also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-U84FHZNwI

Last edited by kyubihanyou; May 3, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:19 PM

Nice idea indeed, although i would actually credit Spark Mandrill to Yuko. One thing to recognize with setsuo's style is the use of a layering effect, usually the same instrument, like listen to how the guitars in the game sound in most of the ones that are setsuo's, both distortion and overdrive, they both use them. He will sacrifice things for that, Spark Mandrill has the distortion guitar kind of quiet, and there is no layering effect, only the usual echo effect, it is actually put together much like Nash's theme from SFZ1, distortion guitar is not as easy to hear in nash's theme(which is by Yuko) as it is in adon's theme(which is setsuo's), in most of the songs which are/seem to be setsuo's, the distortion guitar is much louder, if Spark Mandriller were his, they would be louder likely, yuko often has them quiet, same apllies to may games she does. There's also one thing heard in the background that resembles the end of nash's theme. It even has similar patterns to nash's theme. It also even has that vibe to the music like it was the same person as Boomer Kuwanger.

In this case, i would like alter my credits and credit Launch Octopus to Setsuo. It uses that same layering effect. X-Men MA uses this same layering effect in nearly every if not every song. And yes, this effect is used in the SFZ1 and 2(adon's theme has it, and i haven't quite checked to see if Birdie's theme has it, but knowing setsuo, i am sure he does).Considering how 90 % of the OST uses it, it seems setsuo dominated the OST here, all the other ones were mere contributers that kind of popped in and out. I think Yuki is the one that did one song only here, and maybe toshihiko. I myself think Dr. Right was Yuko, i also think DEMO was also Yuko's as well, it doesn't use any setsuo effects here, uses SMD effects, and has similarities with Shademan, which i am 110%(LOL) sure Yuko did.

I am 99.9% sure yuko did BK, but, as i said, if she did, then could that mean roll's theme is also her's? Sorry for bringing that up again, but i got Jukebox and marked out the other channels except the bass, and this bassline is 90% the same as Boomer Kuwanger's, it even has a slight dun dun dun dun end to it, different note, but same melody basically, even the way the bells/singer do/sings the main melody sort of resembles Spark Mandrill if you know what i mean. I also now just noticed the guitar solo part sounds like the strings from Boomer Kuwanger, also note the similarities, yuko is the only one from RMX that did MvC1, so this shows only further proof that she did Boomer Kuwanger, and that she probably also did roll's theme. Now i wish i could say Yuko sang it, but i think i got a name somewhere, so that's out of the question. lol More than likely, the non-vocal version was done first, and then they redid it with a singer singing to it, not sure if the singer was intended from the start or not, but yeah. Sorry if this was off topic, maybe i could cut this slice out of here and place it in the MvC1 topic?

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Dec 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:45 AM

Bump

Now i am a bit tied up between Yuki Iwai and Setsuo for Storm Eagle. It sounds more straight forward like setsuo's as opposed to yuki's experimental style, but it uses instrument blending, something i've not really heard setsuo use, it sounds done similar to how yuki blended the saxophone and the square in the opening intro to Rockman X2. Setsuo on the other hand does layering for a type of effect. Can't completely say for sure. Could also be yuko, she's blended too. :P

EDIT: Nevermind, i listened closer, definitely setsuo.

Again, i am still saying yuko for boomer kuwanger and spark madrill, and i think so even more now then i did in the past. Same with Demo.

Anything else someone might have to say on this?

Anymore information found?

EDIT: Dag, you're good at finding this stuff, think you might be able to find something on this?

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Apr 14, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

Tags
composer, ekksu, famicom, rockman, super