VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Raizen, why shouldn't composing sound effects count as being a composer for the album?
Old May 16, 2011, 05:09 PM

Is it site policy to group sound effect creation and music composition together as if they were the same thing? News to me, though I think that's a mistake if it is.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:08 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Current VGMdb policy is not to credit sound effect creation as composition. I believe there are plans to credit SFX when roles are expanded to include things like engineering, but don't quote me on that (and that seems to be a long way away anyway).
Old May 17, 2011, 12:47 AM

I have a less issue with crediting them as composers, even if it's partly because we don't have any method to link them. There is sometimes only a thin line between music and longer sound effects (aka jingles or music effects). The reason I'm posting this is, rather than objecting to this policy, because I surely saw sound effects designers credits on some albums before, although they must have been separately released tracks.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 07:12 PM

There's some uncredited musicians on this disc's arranged versions that's bothered me for years. Namely, the electric guitaring on the arranged version of "Corneria" and "Black Hole" and a cello on "Corneria".
Old Jun 8, 2016, 02:04 PM

I was wondering, could anyone help me out with some questions I have about this one? Is what's pictured in the scans all that comes with this album? I was curious if there were any additional items like a registration card, etc.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 09:09 AM

A quick image search turned up one auction which does show a registration card. Here is the picture from that auction:

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...7/ttmj0290.jpg

So most likely, the album did include a registration card. That said, the vast majority of auctions do not include the card (in my experience).
Old Jun 11, 2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrolack View Post
A quick image search turned up one auction which does show a registration card. Here is the picture from that auction:

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...7/ttmj0290.jpg

So most likely, the album did include a registration card. That said, the vast majority of auctions do not include the card (in my experience).
Thanks, that helps a lot. Given the album's age and what I paid for it I'm not going to worry about it not having the registration card. At the very least I did score the OBI.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 04:49 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I added some scans of the registry card for reference.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidBeast View Post
I added some scans of the registry card for reference.
Thanks, the other scans of the booklet where helpful as well.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:11 AM

Much like track 37 is a cover of Strauss' "Voices of Spring", track 38 is a collection of folklore music; from what I gather it contains:
-"Yuki" (Japanese folklore music)
-"When the Saints Go Marching In" (American gospel hymn)
-"Hänschen klein" (German folk song by Franz Wiedemann)
Old Jan 18, 2021, 05:39 PM

I'm surprised to see nobody mention this yet - I'm 99% sure Kondo composed track 20, "Boss (Corneria)". It's super speculative but with the recent Nintendo leaks, an arrangement of this song was found in Kondo's folder for Star Fox 64's files titled "Atack".

When compared with the rest of Hirasawa's soundtrack, it's clearly quite different in arrangement style. It's also very consistent with Kondo's style at the time (compared with https://youtu.be/JUCUSCENalY and https://youtu.be/GZ9VGiqcbDw). It's also known that Kondo wrote a piece for Pilotwings to give direction to the sound staff, so I suspect this is a similar case. That said, he certainly isn't credited for it, so right now it's entirely speculative. I just thought I'd put that out there for now.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 09:42 AM

Interesting you mention this. While I never had "Boss (Corneria)" on my radar, I always suspected he composed some of the tracks. "Last Boss Clear" & "Game Clear Demonstration" do sound much like him if you ask me.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 08:45 AM

Speaking of this soundtrack, can I ask somewhat of a loaded question about it? I absolutely love this score, but am I the only one that feels too many people overlook/forget it because of Star Fox 64's music? I mean I get I'm biased because I played the SNES original back in the day but missed out on 64 because of choosing the PlayStation, and when I tried to play Star Fox 64 years later I actually kind of hated it - especially the free roaming battles. I was like, please but me back on rails, please. Again, I get I'm biased (I can see why the game doesn't appeal to me why it would appeal to others at the time of its release) but I've just never gotten the love for the 64 soundtrack.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 04:29 PM

The SNES score for sure has some memorable tunes, several of which have been immortalized for modern gamers by their Smash reprisals. Overall it's a pretty middle-of-the-road soundtrack for me though. Certainly not bad, but doesn't stand out from the better shmup soundtracks of the era either (of which there are many).

Star Fox 64 has a classic adventure film sound to it that makes the action feel all that much better, reminiscent of John Williams but without copping his style as you'd hear in other cinematic attempts like Actraiser. Kondo's main theme here is as iconic as Star Wars or Indiana Jones, and his select theme is made from the same stuff as SM64's Dire Dire Docks. Meanwhile Wakai was hitting it out of the park with the stage and boss themes; there's hardly a single track there I would hit the skip button on. It departs from the traditional high-energy shmup sound and imo pulls off the more orchestral direction far better than its peer Radiant Silvergun did. Overall some of if not the best music Nintendo put out for the system.

Last edited by Aifread; Jan 20, 2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
reminiscent of John Williams but without copping his style as you'd hear in other cinematic attempts
It's funny you bring this up. Because John Williams and the Imperial March is the first thing I think of when I hear Andross' theme on the Star Fox soundtrack. But yeah, as much as I love the connection, it is somewhat of a blatant copy in style and design/usage.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
reminiscent of John Williams but without copping his style as you'd hear in other cinematic attempts
Funny thing about that. I was at my local arcade once (a long time ago) and passed by the Hook arcade cabinet and heard something that reminded me of one of the boss tunes from Star Fox 64. It was this piece: https://youtu.be/ZGIYWabon2Q?t=44 and it was taken from John Williams' score of the film.