VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 5, 2009, 02:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I rejected an edit that changed track 6's title from 風の情景 to 風の憧憬. The former matches the scans that we have of the reprint SQEX version. If someone has a scan of the booklet from the parent, perhaps they could verify this.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 02:43 PM
VGMdb Staff

風の情景 is indeed the correct title.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 03:26 AM

Mitsuda implies it may be fixed in later prints.

http://www.procyon-studio.com/special/qa_past.html
Quote:
また、PS版トリガーのサントラの方では、24曲目が2つあったり(あきらかにどっちが24曲目か、わかり ますよね)、風の憧憬(正)→風の情景(誤)になってたり・・・
本当にすみません。刷りを重ねるごとに、そういうのは直っていくと思うので、これは、初回版ならではの特典 (?)ということで・・・お許し下さい。
The rough translation is;
Quote:
As for other corrections (.......) Also, there were two 24th tracks (you know, it's obvious which one is the 24th), or a wrong track name like "風の情景" that supposed to be "風の憧憬" in the PSX CT OST. I'm so sorry, but forgive us and take it as, sorta, a privilege for the first print, as it will be fixed in later prints.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:40 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting tidbit there Cedille, thanks for the link.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, that's interesting. I never noticed this spelling mistake or the double track 24 before.

By the way I just noticed that the scan set for the SQEX print actually has some scans from the SSCX print. It seems like all but the disc is from the SSCX, actually, so that'll have to be fixed (edit: done).

So does anyone know if these mistakes were actually fixed for the SQEX print?

Last edited by seanne; Aug 7, 2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 06:47 AM

Do the "Original Version (PS sound)" tracks actually sound any different from the Original Sound Version soundtrack released in 1995 with the Super NES game?
Old Aug 17, 2023, 10:23 AM
VGMdb Advisor

They sound slightly different (as does the DS version) as they were recreated using the PS1's sound chip.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 04:05 AM

This doesn't happen a lot, does it? Publishers releasing ported soundtracks based on the new hardware?

This and Finest Fantasy for Advance (or whatever the FF4/5/6 GBA soundtracks are called) are the only ones I know of.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 06:14 AM

It certainly wasn't commonly done at the time of release, though with series soundtrack boxes in the last 10 years or so we've finally been getting home console versions of many arcade soundtracks for example (with absolute champs like Cassetron giving them to us standalone). There are some other contemporary examples though like Snatcher MSX, Ys III X68000, and Popful Mail SNES/Sega CD.

Last edited by Aifread; Aug 18, 2023 at 06:37 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
It certainly wasn't commonly done at the time of release, though with series soundtrack boxes in the last 10 years or so we've finally been getting home console versions of many arcade soundtracks for example (with absolute champs like Cassetron giving them to us standalone). There are some other contemporary examples though like Snatcher MSX, Ys III X68000, and Popful Mail SNES/Sega CD.
Thanks for the heads up here. Sounds like a good next avenue of discovery.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 06:28 PM

I'd include the separate releases of the Famicom and Gameboy Color versions of Dragon Quest I-III in that "ported/emulated audio" category as well. They're pretty similar.

Although, I don't think the intent of this particular album was "It's the PS1 version of the SNES OST" so much as it served as a single disc "best selection" type release for people who didn't want to buy the full 3 disc set, that also featured the new tracks added for the PS1 version.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the examples, Aifread and Psychonotes! I've become somewhat of a philistine when it comes to newer releases of game music. I should read up on those more.

Thinking about it some more, I'll add to that collection the Xanadu Sound Collection which spans ports released within a two-year timeframe and includes the game's music played back on eight different sound sources. And the Commando & Bionic Commando Original Sound Collection which curiously includes the music of Western PC ports such as for the Amiga. Although these "ports" oftentimes diverge from the original version radically in terms of gameplay and music.

On a related note, there was a long discussion on whether SLUS-00879/00900 included the SNES or PSX version music of FF5 and FF6. It's never been resolved conclusively, I think.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 02:18 AM

Yeah if you dig into retro console and PC stuff you'll find a lot. Wave Master has released all sorts of console port soundtracks of Sega arcade games and you can get pretty much every version of Sorcerian thanks to them. Tons of great stuff from Clarice Disc and EGG Music too.