VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:51 PM

I never before noticed, but the title of the album is grammatically incorrect, it should read: Diddy Kong's Quest and not "Diddy's Kong Quest", unless Diddy is questing for Kongs. Anyway, to be more inline with the DK3 soundtrack, should it not read:

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest The Original Donkey Kong Country 2 Soundtrack

Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:16 PM

"Kong Quest" is a pun. It is supposed to be like "Conquest". Anyway the game's title is written like that too, so I don't think it's any sort of error.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:18 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:26 AM

Rare's games are full of puns. E.g. King K. Rool should be read as "King Cruel" and so on.
Old May 12, 2011, 03:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Calatia: The title should really be "Country2", without the space. Look carefully at the covers...
Even the Japanese release has no space before the digit. http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=45088
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:34 AM

where can I get this cd? I need it!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:58 AM

I do think there should be a space between the Y and 2 for Country 2.

Using the Disc as reference it shows a space, all other versions show a semi space to full space.
Old May 15, 2013, 05:07 AM
VGMdb Staff

why still people don't read covers? In track 6 the S is missing....
Old Jul 4, 2016, 09:00 PM

Can anybody with this CD let us know how the recording quality of this soundtrack is like?

Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster; Aug 23, 2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Can anybody with this CD let us know how the recording quality of this soundtrack is like?
Bump to find out more about the recording quality. Has anyone compared this version to PSCN-5049?

I do see that this album is quite expensive on YJA, almost as much as its Japanese counterpart. That's not usually the case for American reprints, and it has me wondering if it's being sought after due to sound quality.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 08:39 PM

So I now own both the Japanese pressing (PSCN-5049) and the American pressing, and can compare the sound quality side-by-side.

After A/B'ing a few tracks, my first impression was that the American pressing sounded better - more "full" somehow. After listening more critically, I figured out why.

It turns out that on the Japanese pressing, the volume in the left channel is much higher than in the right. This is the case on every track. On the American pressing, the balance is correct.

Below is a waveform from both pressing of "In a Snow-Bound Land," which illustrates the balance issue clearly on the Japanese version. When actually listening to the music, it's pretty noticeable - especially on headphones. In comparison, the American version sounds great.

This being the case: while the Japanese version is a nice collector's item, the American version clearly wins out on sound quality.

Old Dec 30, 2016, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the comparison. (don't know what the heck happened with that Japanese recording!)

How much did you pay for it? The cheapest I can find is $500 on eBay.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 05:25 PM

I think that's around the going rate which is still a lot less than the American pressing sells for on YJA (~100,000 yen).
Old Dec 31, 2016, 01:38 PM

Are all the prints for the Jpn version affected or could it be they corrected the issue in later pressings?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcahest View Post
Are all the prints for the Jpn version affected or could it be they corrected the issue in later pressings?
I couldn't say, as I can't afford to buy multiple copies to help find out But if anyone knows for sure that a correction was issued, or if anyone checks their copy for the same issue, please don't be shy about sharing the result!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 07:55 PM

Does your copy have artwork on the back of the insert?

I bought a copy and the insert is one-sided.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 04:05 AM

My insert is one-sided as well.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 08:26 PM

Question

I just received a US copy of this that I ordered, and it definitely wasn't cheap, Very glad to have it though! I came here to ask if my cover was fake because it had a blank back, but it looks like some of yours are like that too?

Could this be an undocumented reprint or revision of the album?

Also is the ID number anywhere on the album? Every ost I've seen has it on the spine, but it's nowhere on this one

Last edited by 112B2018; Mar 15, 2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 01:13 AM

Yeah my insert back is blank as well. My best guess would be that only the first printing of it actually had a printed backside, and then they decided it's cheaper to leave it blank.

With ID number I assume you mean the catalogue number that's listed here? In which case, I can't find it either. I don't think it's on the album anywhere., same with DKC3. I assume the catalogue number came from Nintendo themselves, at the time the album was made available by them?