VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:23 PM

Default Album Help: Dark Savior Sound Factory Series

Hello everyone!

I have some questions about three of my most sought after soundtracks, the three Dark Savior Sound Factory Series albums. For those that are lucky to have all three, which I still search for all the time, I wanted to know which ones would actually be considered music? I have researched them as much as I could, with VGMDB giving me most of the information as the rest of the internet seems to be oblivious that these exist. Finding information about this game or any of it's OST's is practically impossible so I figured this would be the absolute best place to ask. I see that out of the three that Sound Factory Volume 1 appears to be nothing more than a drama album (with Hiroshi Kondo's composition work in the background) and the inclusion of the ending theme "Let Love Sleep". The other two seem to be the only soundtracks that have anything to deal with the game's music.

I am a HUGE fan of Dark Savior and Climax's games in general. I have so many fond memories of this game, loving practically everything about it. The story, characters, gameplay, and of course that awesome music. I could talk about this game for hours. I have all three OST's in my wish list, but I wanted to make sure that I honestly needed all three. I would hate to buy, for example, Sound Factory Volume 1 and find out that it's just a drama album that I sadly wouldn't understand. I am only interested in the musical component for this game, as far as getting it's OSTs that is. If anyone can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 2, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:08 PM

I own volumes 2 and 3. I've heard volume 1, and it is just a drama album, with the music contained on volume 2 used in the background. It has no unique musical content. Volume 2 is the "soundtrack" album, although it's really an arranged album, with higher-grade synth work than is heard in-game. Volume 3 has vocal versions of the 5 ending themes, as well as the ending theme also used in volume 1.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:20 PM

If the second album is anything like the Landstalker album release, then the tracks on that album just have upgraded sound quality? Are the tracks on the album actually any different in instrumentation and arrangement structure? I'm interested in this album myself.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonotes View Post
I own volumes 2 and 3. I've heard volume 1, and it is just a drama album, with the music contained on volume 2 used in the background. It has no unique musical content. Volume 2 is the "soundtrack" album, although it's really an arranged album, with higher-grade synth work than is heard in-game. Volume 3 has vocal versions of the 5 ending themes, as well as the ending theme also used in volume 1.
Thank you for reading my post! This is a big help to me as I don't want to waste 50+ on just a drama album. If I could understand it, then I of course wouldn't mind having it but I can't so I will not look for that one. I will adjust my wish list now that I know this. The only thing left to do, which is the hardest thing to do, is to somehow find actual physical copies of it. Thanks again!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:00 AM

Slightly off topic, but still worth mentioning to those that played the game. Dark Savior was a very interesting game as the US/EU releases of this game were censored compared to the Japanese copy. For those that played this great game, Garian after getting off the ship and onto Jailer's Island is asked by a pirate/prisoner to drink "Jalapeno Juice" in order to proceed any further. Garian then states that he feel's a little strange or sick. I don't think that it was Jalapeno Juice that he was asked to drink, more like some type of alcohol. Funny stuff. There is also a debate about an addition of a 6th Parallel, exclusive to the Japan release, where Jack (Garian's bird ally) is bad and is behind the whole thing. I have looked all over the internet and asked various fans about this, I've come to the conclusion that was a just a rumor but an interesting one at that.

Also supposedly before the good old Dreamcast died, a sequel to Dark Savior was planned by Climax. The game, while it may not have continued Garian's story, was suppose to include an upgraded Parallel system in terms of story progression. Maybe they would have thrown Garian and other Land Stalker/Lady Stalker/Time Stalker characters in there as cameo appearances. I really would have loved to see that if it was made, heck I would love it if Climax would do anything with Dark Savior or it's characters. HD remake? Digital re-release on PSN and XBLA? Climax hasn't made that many games of late, with the only current release being Steal Princess. A game that played like the isometric style games they are known for, but sadly not as good.

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonEnRegalia View Post
If the second album is anything like the Landstalker album release, then the tracks on that album just have upgraded sound quality? Are the tracks on the album actually any different in instrumentation and arrangement structure? I'm interested in this album myself.
It's not really like Landstalker. Landstalker was a weird album that sourced the original Megadrive sound for the body of the tracks, but augmented it here and there with a few extra general MIDI synth elements, like drums and choir. Never actually heard another album like it.
Dark Savior's album is a more conventional case: none of the tracks feature the music as heard via the Saturn sound chip. The instrumentation and arrangements are the same, but they're all rendered with standard synth sources. In some cases, this results in a more polished sound - in others, the particular charm of the Saturn sound is lost in the transition to generic synth ensemble.
For all I know, these could actually be Hiroshi Kondo's original tracks, before they were converted for the Saturn. No way to know, but that's about how close they sound to the in-game versions.
It's also worth noting that this album is sadly incomplete. About 25% of the game's music didn't make it on here.

And yeah, Dark Savior was a great game. Had a ton of problems, but also had a totally unique feel, and really interesting design. Would love to see it brought back.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:52 AM

I'd wager they could be the original demo files, yes. The Landstalker album is quite fun, and I ignored the weird augmentations when I reviewed it (http://www.squareenixmusic.com/revie...dstalker.shtml). And I suspected that some of the in-game tracks, like jingles and stuff, didn't make it on—very helpful info!

I liked Landstalker better (it's one of my all-time favorites), but Dark Savior is a great game too. In some areas, it felt like a watered-down Landstalker, but the split plot lines and intro sequence is still the most fantastic intro to a platformer I've ever played.

Oh, and hello Shamrock99! First guy to keep that GameFAQs board alive in a while.

Last edited by DragoonEnRegalia; Jan 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 01:54 PM

Hey Dreamtraveler, you should check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250809175365...84.m1438.l2649

$20 for vol. 3.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon64 View Post
Hey Dreamtraveler, you should check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250809175365...84.m1438.l2649

$20 for vol. 3.
Thanks for the listing, but sadly that is for the "Dark Savior: Sound Factory Series Volume 1". I originally had this album in my "wish list" as I thought that there was music from the game on it. I learned from the other memebers on here that Volume 1 is nothing more than a drama album with Volume 2 and 3's music played in the background. The ones I am looking for are the other two now. Also I am quite cautious of late with ebay and other places, outside of the importers I do trust, due to the high rate of bootleg merchandise being sold on there. I have had some bad luck with ebay in my past while collecting this stuff, often finding out too late that I bought a fake product. Again though, thanks for trying to help me out.

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 9, 2012 at 08:14 AM.